The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Grandpa Longneck vs Tornetar!

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
hey everybody! I drew a sketch of the battle scene from my fanfiction, The Bite Of Tornetar!, where Grandpa Longneck fights the Terrorsaurus known as Tornetar. a giant Tyrannosaurid who plans to lead the Sharpteeth to the Great Valley and rule the land.

anyways. in my fanfic, Grandpa and Tornetar's fight was caused when Tornetar made Grandpa longneck Angry by taunting him over Tornetar's killing of Grandpa's parents. the fight was considered by many of my friend as "a fight that would make Godzilla vs King Kong look like a school yard brawl." this sketch I done, was to help capture the scene. there are some inconsistancys. for one, Tornetar should be bleeding from the mouth after getting a couple of his teeth knocked out by an Ankylosaurus. but I'll rectify that in the colored version.

now, without any further adu...

GRANDPA vs TORNETAR!

I used shadows to help give off how big these guys are. and for thoughs who are puzzled as to why Tornetar is so huge, well he is SUPPOSED to be humongus. Terrorsaurus Rex are much larger then any land predator known to man. larger then even Grandpa when he is standing on his hind legs.

Grandpa is also standing on his hind legs, because he is preparing to buck Tornetar with his front legs. I also gave grandpa scientificly accurate front paws. or, atleast I tried.

if anybody likes to read my fanfic please do. you can read it here on the forum. or you can read it on my DA profile.

please, comment and enjoy...

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
SUPER MEGA ULTRA BUMP!!!!

oh! btw, I am gonna wait till next month to color this pic. that way I'll have new coloring pencils to work with. as well as new colors.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Ok, that guy is really huuuge!  :blink:
His size does not put me in awe but the amount of detail you gave him.  :o

That is one awesome drawing! Can't wait for the colored version.  :smile

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Oh-hoooo, man. This is epic :smile
Grandpa looks absolutely intense in your style. Can't wait to see it colored!

Also, I agree with Sky about the detail! He's so... pointy :p

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
thankies guys.

Ok, that guy is really huuuge!
His size does not put me in awe but the amount of detail you gave him. 

That is one awesome drawing! Can't wait for the colored version. 

I am sorry your not in awe, but perhaps the colored version will help fix that?

Oh-hoooo, man. This is epic 
Grandpa looks absolutely intense in your style. Can't wait to see it colored!

Also, I agree with Sky about the detail! He's so... pointy 

I was gonna give Grandpa more detail, but I felt he'll look too diffrent from his Movie/Cartoon counterpart. and hes such a recongnisable charactor. but I still wanted to give him the look I want without sacrifising his charactors trademark charactoristics.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ No, Sky meant that he IS in awe, but it's not Tornetar's size that impressed him; it's how detailed he is. I'm pretty sure DarkWolf was talking about Tornetar as well.

Anyway, sorry I didn't post here sooner; I was planning to, even before you “super ultra mega bump”-ed it (after less than 37 hours, seriously? :p), but I'd been forgetting and/or procrastinating about posting in several other threads that I'm sorta obligated to post in, and wanted to catch up on those before I started working on a post for this one.

I'll be honest with you, these kinds of LBT stories really aren't my cup of tea, but this picture is awesome! :wow You really did put a lot of detail into it. :yes Tornetar has all those spines and platelike scales that make him look very powerful and dangerous, not to mention downright scary. Realistically, I don't think a two-legged animal of his size is biomechanically possible, but I feel like his hunched posture, short neck, and massive legs make him more believable-looking than if he were simply a scaled-up typical LBT sharptooth.

Actually I think what impressed me about this picture even more than Tornetar was the way you drew Grandpa Longneck. He's still very recognizable, and yet you've drawn him in such a way that he doesn't look out of place stylistically next to his foe (the way Littlefoot or some other LBT character would look strange if you stuck them in a picture with realistically drawn dinosaurs). And his detail, too, is incredible: the wrinkles on his neck, the bumps on his back, the musculature of his limbs, his feet (just…his feet. Seriously, I love the way you drew them. Especially his right one). I also love the dynamic pose you drew him in, rearing up to box at Tornetar with his front feet, with his neck arched and his tail curving to the side. His fighting stance conveys a lot of action, more so than Tornetar's actually!

Do you do a lot of LBT artwork (or expect to)? If yes, then maybe you should start a LBT art thread of your own. You're really good at this. :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
^ No, Sky meant that he IS in awe, but it's not Tornetar's size that impressed him; it's how detailed he is. I'm pretty sure DarkWolf was talking about Tornetar as well.

OH! sorry, I must have gotten confused then... sorry Sky.

Anyway, sorry I didn't post here sooner; I was planning to, even before you “super ultra mega bump”-ed it (after less than 37 hours, seriously? )

its ok. but yeah, I got verry little patiance. but I felt it was necissary.

but I'd been forgetting and/or procrastinating about posting in several other threads that I'm sorta obligated to post in, and wanted to catch up on those before I started working on a post for this one.

its all cool. you just needed to get all the infomation you needed. :D

I'll be honest with you, these kinds of LBT stories really aren't my cup of tea,

in what aspect? the dinosaurs aren't givin any super powers, and nobody dies. so.... I don't know. um? pickel?

but this picture is awesome!  You really did put a lot of detail into it.  Tornetar has all those spines and platelike scales that make him look very powerful and dangerous, not to mention downright scary. Realistically, I don't think a two-legged animal of his size is biomechanically possible, but I feel like his hunched posture, short neck, and massive legs make him more believable-looking than if he were simply a scaled-up typical LBT sharptooth.

thanks. Tornetar (and his species as a whole) are so large, that they can't stand up like normal LBT sharpteeth. because their weight makes that impossible. also the neck was shortened because I felt, the Terrorsaurus Rex would have too much top weight, and would fall over. thats also why the species has a long tail then most Tyrannosaurids (Terrorsaurus Rex belongs to the Tyrannosaurid Family) to help balance out the weight. its legs are also stocky because they have large bones and muscles to help support the animal's emence body. had he was a scaled up LBT dinosaur and was givin the typical LBT sharptooth stance, the animal's back will shatter. so Tornetar has to stay in a hunched over possition. the one thing I did keep was the large skull. but the short neck helps balance out the body with the long tail as I stated.

Actually I think what impressed me about this picture even more than Tornetar was the way you drew Grandpa Longneck. He's still very recognizable, and yet you've drawn him in such a way that he doesn't look out of place stylistically next to his foe (the way Littlefoot or some other LBT character would look strange if you stuck them in a picture with realistically drawn dinosaurs). And his detail, too, is incredible: the wrinkles on his neck, the bumps on his back, the musculature of his limbs, his feet (just…his feet. Seriously, I love the way you drew them. Especially his right one). I also love the dynamic pose you drew him in, rearing up to box at Tornetar with his front feet, with his neck arched and his tail curving to the side. His fighting stance conveys a lot of action, more so than Tornetar's actually!

Yeah, well I had to draw Grandpa in his classic design. mainly because he was as I said one or two times before. hes a recognisable charactor. I could have easily put boney plates and scales on him. but I didn't because it would destroy his recongisability. his feet where the only thing I realy had to change. one reason was to get back that scientificly accurate feet. I wanted the claws to look dangerous while still like I said before, keep grandpa recognisable. his pose was originaly gonna be him on all fours. but then I felt it would ruin the intencity of the picture. I always intended him to be on his hind legs, but a couple of times I thought about having him on all fours. but again, I felt it wouldn't look right.

How Tornetar looks in this sketch (as well as his species' profile sheet) is exactly how he would look in an LBT movie. I designed the Terrorsaurus EXACTLY for LBT. although the style isn't like LBT's (it being my own ofcourse) the look does have similaritys. but are subtle yet it helps the design blend into the style. though its not a perfect blend. but its enough to keep the LBT feel present while still getting the intence style I am/was hoping for.

Do you do a lot of LBT artwork (or expect to)? If yes, then maybe you should start a LBT art thread of your own. You're really good at this.  

believe it or not. but this is my first actual LBT sketch. well. I done some before, but weren't too good. but this pick is my first real LBT pic. both of a favorite charactor, and one of my own created charactors. IF I do draw more LBT sketchs I'll defenantly post them. (I got some ideas for drawing something now as I am typing) and, I will still try to keep the LBT style. or try to anyways.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Holy mother of....wow....I can see how they mean by how detailed it is, that looks bloody well awesome mate.....you did a very nice, a very awesome job at it.

As others have said, can't wait to see what the coloured version of that would be like myself.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Aug 20 2010 on  04:42 PM
Holy mother of....wow....I can see how they mean by how detailed it is, that looks bloody well awesome mate.....you did a very nice, a very awesome job at it.

As others have said, can't wait to see what the coloured version of that would be like myself.
thanks, glad you likes it.

Colored version will come. I still need to get the right coloring pencils before I work on the sketch (Hate to mess it up) I may have to have a copy made so as to keep the original colorless incase I do mess up.

got a new Fanfic under develoup (brewing in my mind basicly) so keep an eye out in Fanart & Fanfiction.

and don't worry. it won't be a crossover. yet again it will feature an original creation of mine.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love being a Decepticon!

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
It looks like the Bone fight that never happened (Great Red Dragon vs Kingdok. Boy was I bummed when they didn't have a fight!)

Awesome piece of work!

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 20 2010 on  07:46 PM
It looks like the Bone fight that never happened (Great Red Dragon vs Kingdok. Boy was I bummed when they didn't have a fight!)

Awesome piece of work!
thanks everybody.

although not related to this pic. I am working on a new Antagonist for my next fanfic that will take place months after TBOT. the creature I am designing will be a biomechanoid. and the Fanfic will star Ali as the Protagonist. bout all I can say for right now concerning my next fiction.

you know. if anybody here would like to help me color this for me please PM me. it will help to put more stuff here untill I can color it myself.

more comments plz!

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 20 2010 on  09:28 PM
the Fanfic will star Ali
It stars Ali! I'm reading it for sure! I'll read (or watch) anything that Ali is the main character in.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 20 2010 on  08:30 PM
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 20 2010 on  09:28 PM
the Fanfic will star Ali
It stars Ali! I'm reading it for sure! I'll read (or watch) anything that Ali is the main character in.
I'm glad you will. cuz I wanted Ali to have a bigger role in The Bite Of Tornetar, but I think when Part 2 and Part 3 where being writen she got pushed aside. wich, dispite the fact I was writing it, made me sad, cuz shes a great wonderful charactor and I felt its time she got a fanfic staring her primarly as the Protagonist. as much as I love littlefoot and his friends, I feel I should "Spotlight" the other great charactors. Ali was always my favorite sence LBT IV, and now, I might be able to do her justice by giving her her own fic. a story wich she is for once the protagonist.

hmmmm? maybe Grandpa Longneck has been lifting weights? cuz I noticed in my sketch, he looks a lil buffed?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 20 2010 on  09:35 AM
but I'd been forgetting and/or procrastinating about posting in several other threads that I'm sorta obligated to post in, and wanted to catch up on those before I started working on a post for this one.
Thank you for understanding. :)

I'll be honest with you, these kinds of LBT stories really aren't my cup of tea,
in what aspect? the dinosaurs aren't givin any super powers, and nobody dies. so.... I don't know. um? pickel?
It's mainly the violence level. I'm not too big on LBT stories that have a lot of bloody battles in them. Admittedly, the picture has made me a little curious about your story, though.

Tornetar (and his species as a whole) are so large, that they can't stand up like normal LBT sharpteeth. because their weight makes that impossible. also the neck was shortened because I felt, the Terrorsaurus Rex would have too much top weight, and would fall over. thats also why the species has a long tail then most Tyrannosaurids (Terrorsaurus Rex belongs to the Tyrannosaurid Family) to help balance out the weight. its legs are also stocky because they have large bones and muscles to help support the animal's emence body. had he was a scaled up LBT dinosaur and was givin the typical LBT sharptooth stance, the animal's back will shatter. so Tornetar has to stay in a hunched over possition. the one thing I did keep was the large skull. but the short neck helps balance out the body with the long tail as I stated.
You've certainly put a lot of thought and effort into making him a more plausible creature. :yes

Yeah, well I had to draw Grandpa in his classic design. mainly because he was as I said one or two times before. hes a recognisable charactor. I could have easily put boney plates and scales on him. but I didn't because it would destroy his recongisability. his feet where the only thing I realy had to change. one reason was to get back that scientificly accurate feet. I wanted the claws to look dangerous while still like I said before, keep grandpa recognisable.
Just so you know, real sauropods had only a single claw on their front feet: the thumb claw. The other toes had lost their nails entirely. Sauropods actually walked on their metacarpals; the bones that form the broad part of the hand (the palm and back) in humans. Imagine bending your fingers forward at a ninety-degree angle to the rest of your hand (don't try it for real; it's painful :p), and planting your hands on the ground so that your fingers face forward (except for your thumb, which is held off the ground), but the rest of your hand and arm is vertical (your weight supported on the insides of your first knuckles). That's how sauropods stood. Also, there was no cushioning tissue behind the hand, as there is in elephants, so sauropod front footprints were U-shaped.

How Tornetar looks in this sketch (as well as his species' profile sheet) is exactly how he would look in an LBT movie. I designed the Terrorsaurus EXACTLY for LBT. although the style isn't like LBT's (it being my own ofcourse) the look does have similaritys. but are subtle yet it helps the design blend into the style. though its not a perfect blend. but its enough to keep the LBT feel present while still getting the intence style I am/was hoping for.
One thing I notice about him is that his skull is more realistic than a typical LBT sharptooth's; less boxy, with visible "windows" in it (around his eye and ear, and on the side of his snout), and a curved mouth line rather than one that is straight from the front to the back. Not to mention he's more detailed than any dinosaur I can think of from the LBT series. Still, as you said, your drawing style here isn't quite the same as LBT's; if you drew him in exact LBT style I imagine he might come out a bit differently.

believe it or not. but this is my first actual LBT sketch. well. I done some before, but weren't too good. but this pick is my first real LBT pic. both of a favorite charactor, and one of my own created charactors. IF I do draw more LBT sketchs I'll defenantly post them. (I got some ideas for drawing something now as I am typing) and, I will still try to keep the LBT style. or try to anyways.
I'd REALLY like to see how you would draw other LBT characters in this style. :yes You have my full support for doing further LBT artwork. :smile

By the way, the fourth quote tag in your response to my original post (at the end of the second piece of text you are quoting) is missing the slash at the front; that’s why the quote boxes aren’t appearing. Just thought I’d tell you in case you wanted to go back and fix it. ;)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 21 2010 on  01:05 AM
Thank you for understanding. :)

It's mainly the violence level. I'm not too big on LBT stories that have a lot of bloody battles in them. Admittedly, the picture has made me a little curious about your story, though.

Tornetar (and his species as a whole) are so large, that they can't stand up like normal LBT sharpteeth. because their weight makes that impossible. also the neck was shortened because I felt, the Terrorsaurus Rex would have too much top weight, and would fall over. thats also why the species has a long tail then most Tyrannosaurids (Terrorsaurus Rex belongs to the Tyrannosaurid Family) to help balance out the weight. its legs are also stocky because they have large bones and muscles to help support the animal's emence body. had he was a scaled up LBT dinosaur and was givin the typical LBT sharptooth stance, the animal's back will shatter. so Tornetar has to stay in a hunched over possition. the one thing I did keep was the large skull. but the short neck helps balance out the body with the long tail as I stated.
You've certainly put a lot of thought and effort into making him a more plausible creature. :yes

Yeah, well I had to draw Grandpa in his classic design. mainly because he was as I said one or two times before. hes a recognisable charactor. I could have easily put boney plates and scales on him. but I didn't because it would destroy his recongisability. his feet where the only thing I realy had to change. one reason was to get back that scientificly accurate feet. I wanted the claws to look dangerous while still like I said before, keep grandpa recognisable.
Just so you know, real sauropods had only a single claw on their front feet: the thumb claw. The other toes had lost their nails entirely. Sauropods actually walked on their metacarpals; the bones that form the broad part of the hand (the palm and back) in humans. Imagine bending your fingers forward at a ninety-degree angle to the rest of your hand (don't try it for real; it's painful :p), and planting your hands on the ground so that your fingers face forward (except for your thumb, which is held off the ground), but the rest of your hand and arm is vertical (your weight supported on the insides of your first knuckles). That's how sauropods stood. Also, there was no cushioning tissue behind the hand, as there is in elephants, so sauropod front footprints were U-shaped.

One thing I notice about him is that his skull is more realistic than a typical LBT sharptooth's; less boxy, with visible "windows" in it (around his eye and ear, and on the side of his snout), and a curved mouth line rather than one that is straight from the front to the back. Not to mention he's more detailed than any dinosaur I can think of from the LBT series. Still, as you said, your drawing style here isn't quite the same as LBT's; if you drew him in exact LBT style I imagine he might come out a bit differently.

I'd REALLY like to see how you would draw other LBT characters in this style. :yes You have my full support for doing further LBT artwork. :smile

By the way, the fourth quote tag in your response to my original post (at the end of the second piece of text you are quoting) is missing the slash at the front; that’s why the quote boxes aren’t appearing. Just thought I’d tell you in case you wanted to go back and fix it. ;)
WELL, I'm stumped. lol

anyways, am realy glad you like the sketch.

the new beast/antagonist for my Ali fanfic is almost done. I just got to finish its hand and start on its right arm.

I am havin a terrible time making up some charactors for the fanfic. I am thinking of giving Ali a sister. oh and I cut Rhet out of the story. I never did like him. thought he was a pain in the cylinder.

also, I brought back Ali's Demeener for the fanfic. I hated how in the Great Longneck Scheme she was gullable and well, hate to say it. but a typical Naive Schoolgirl. but in my fanfic I made her, alot smarter. she'll finaly return to being brave and selfless. because I am mostly working with Ali, I may need to come up with some new charactors.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 21 2010 on  04:43 AM
WELL, I'm stumped. lol
Sorry, where did I confuse you? :unsure:

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
lol, nah dude, I was just impressed by your knowledge. I always thought their feet where like that of a an elephant. hmm, silly me. lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 21 2010 on  05:34 AM
lol, nah dude, I was just impressed by your knowledge.
Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

I always thought their feet where like that of a an elephant. hmm, silly me. lol
Mind you, sauropod hind feet were a bit more elephant-like than the front, as they did have a cushioning pad at the back. However, unlike an elephant, the toes had large claws on them, usually three, the other two toes being clawless.

Also, I may have to revise my earlier statement about sauropod thumb claws;  apparently they weren't held off the ground in all species. Apparently they had some function (possibly for fighting as in your picture ;)) that kept them from being lost along with the other claws (although some of the later sauropods may have lost ALL of the claws on their forefeet, including the thumb claw).

By the way, I forgot to mention before: none of this means that you have to change the feet in your picture. ;)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 22 2010 on  01:39 AM
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 21 2010 on  05:34 AM
lol, nah dude, I was just impressed by your knowledge.
Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

I always thought their feet where like that of a an elephant. hmm, silly me. lol
Mind you, sauropod hind feet were a bit more elephant-like than the front, as they did have a cushioning pad at the back. However, unlike an elephant, the toes had large claws on them, usually three, the other two toes being clawless.

Also, I may have to revise my earlier statement about sauropod thumb claws;  apparently they weren't held off the ground in all species. Apparently they had some function (possibly for fighting as in your picture ;)) that kept them from being lost along with the other claws (although some of the later sauropods may have lost ALL of the claws on their forefeet, including the thumb claw).

By the way, I forgot to mention before: none of this means that you have to change the feet in your picture. ;)
Nah, I don't plan to change the picture. just need to color it is all. :smile  but that won't be till next month.

Hey, would anybody prefer I post close-ups of any of the charactors so you guys can see them better?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 22 2010 on  02:48 AM
Hey, would anybody prefer I post close-ups of any of the charactors so you guys can see them better?
You mean, make the picture (or at least parts of it) bigger? Sure! I'd love to see it in closer detail! :smile