The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Unknown, unsuccessful games that you enjoyed.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Let's hear it. Yes, I know I just started another topic, but I'm trying to keep things moving along in the Gamers' Zone.

There was this one game I liked that never amounted to much. It was called "Radical Rex". You played as a T-Rex who tried to stop the complete extinction of the dinosaurs from being caused by a human sorcerer. It was actually quite good, despite feeling like a 80s animated series reject concept.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The only game I ever liked that was unsecessful was jurassic park II for sega genesis.  Holy crap was that game hard! :P:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
A hidden treasure in my reckoning is Dynamite Headdy for Megadrive (Genesis). You play a puppet with a launchable head who happened to be the star of a show. A vibrant, colourful platformer that did work really well but sadly fell on deaf ears as the rage of the PS1 and N64 came to light. Some may have heard of it, and it was released on the Wii's Virtual Console a couple of months ago, but only those deeply into the platforming scene really took notice of it. And how irritatingly HARD the later levels got. I loved the way the stage names were all mickey-take of REAL movies. Toyz in the Hood, Terminate Her Too!, Stair Wars... :lol A great piece of gaming history I think was robbed of the limelight it deserved :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
N64's Blast Corps! :wow  :D

Great Puzzle-action game by Rareware (Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, etc.).  You are assigned  small-to-large-scale destruction vehicles to clear a path for an out-of-control nuclear missile carrier as quickly and efficiently as possible.  I have been able to achieve all but 2 of the platinum medals in this game. :D  (the "pac-man" levels are the only 2 I can't nail the platinum times on.)  <_<

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah... Blast Corps was hard.  
I have a couple too.  Space Station Silicon Valley, and Armorines.
Dark Rift is up there, too.
That is why I love EB games/Gamestop.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Turok Evolution for the Gamecube, Reign of Fire for the Playstation 2, and Scaler for Playstation 2. Not sure if these games are "uknown", though.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I can't think of any unsuccessful games I've played... I'd have to look, I didn't fully HATE Mario is Missing, but I think it's because I beat it without actually playing it XD The music wasn't too bad in Mario is Missing tho either...

somewhat unheard of but kinda unfairly: Sonic 2 Beta, I LOVED the levels that didn't make it to the final game, I wish they'd've completed the Hidden Palace Zone in that form, it was great...

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Dec 8 2007 on  05:28 AM
A hidden treasure in my reckoning is Dynamite Headdy for Megadrive (Genesis). You play a puppet with a launchable head who happened to be the star of a show. A vibrant, colourful platformer that did work really well but sadly fell on deaf ears as the rage of the PS1 and N64 came to light. Some may have heard of it, and it was released on the Wii's Virtual Console a couple of months ago, but only those deeply into the platforming scene really took notice of it. And how irritatingly HARD the later levels got. I loved the way the stage names were all mickey-take of REAL movies. Toyz in the Hood, Terminate Her Too!, Stair Wars... :lol A great piece of gaming history I think was robbed of the limelight it deserved :^.^:
I bought that one too. It's a platforming gem.

Come to think of it, I've loved every Treasure game I've ever played. Dynamite Headdy, Sin + Punishment, Ikaruga, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Mischief Makers. All of them were awesome.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Turok Evolution
Add Turok 1 and 2 to this list for me!  Wooo, go Turok! :D

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Add Turok 1 and 2 to this list for me! Wooo, go Turok!
They are actually making a sequal so i wouldn't really say its unsuccessful. I enjoyed Turok: Rage Wars, to bad they never made a sequal for that, that was really fun.

A game that i really love is Ikaruga(One of the best shooter games ever). It came out on the dreamcast and later on the gamecube. It seems that people don't really know about (i asked about it at a store and the person had no clue what i was talking about). You can't even buy it in store anymore, i had to buy it on Ebay about a month ago to finally be able to play it again. If anyones unsure about what the game actually is a could post a video of me playing it under the video game videos topic.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The first two Turok games actually did pretty well. Its with Turok #3 that the series started sliding downhill. yeah, I never did understand why all the hate was on Turok: Evolution. It wasn't a brilliant game, but what were people expecting people a game starring an Indian who travels through deminsions to fight the evil forces of saurian villains who want to take over a lost land filled with weird critters of all sorts. Its like expecting Shakespear out of Die Hard.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another obscure one that Rocks is Chaos Legion for the PS2.
(It's almost as hard as Ninja Gaiden for XBOX, and that says something right there...)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I liked Battle Cars for the SNES, if anyone here knows what that is.

ArtemisPanthar

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://artemispanthar.deviantart.com
A lot of the sames I know and love are unknown and unsuccessful because a lot of my games were fished from bargain bins back in the day XD

The most unknown game that I absolutely adore is: "Skullmonkeys". "Skullmonkeys" is a platform sequel for the point-and-click puzzle game "The NeverHood" for the PC. Because a lot of PC gamers don't play on consoles, it was really ill-advised for Skullmonkeys to only be available for the playstation =\ but anyway, it's a really quirky and funny game that's completely "Klaymated" (their words) about Klayman who is brought to the planet of the skullmonkeys when the evil Klogg (who is technically Klayman's brother) crashes on the planet and immediately becomes the king of the skullmonkeys. He's brought there to liberate the skullmonkeys (who don't really want to be liberated) but since Klogg is building a machine to destroy The NeverHood (where Klayman lives) he'd have to be there anyway.
It's a really good game and a rare find, since the company that made it is now defunct and thus the game is no longer manufactured. That said, it's worth the money if you can find it. It is kind of terrifying, even though it's not a horror game. That might be me, though, claymation unsettles me XD

By the by, the game is done by the same guy who did Earthworm Jim games and the Catscratch cartoon.

The other games I love but no one has ever heard of are:
Hodj' n' Podj' (PC)
Oddballz (PC)
GearHeads (PC)
Creatures (PC)
A Boy and His Blob (NES)
Plok (SNES)
Smartball (SNES)
Ardy Lightfoot (SNES)
Claymates (SNES)
Donald Duck as Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (SNES)
Young Merlin (SNES)
Digimon Rumble Arena (PSX)
Rat Attack! (PSX)
Space Station: Silicon Valley (N64)
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS2)
Okage: Shadow King (PS2)

And, like, many others I can't remember XD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hodj' n' Podj' (PC)
Now That's a name I haven't heard in awhile! :wow  I remember playing this back on my first computer ever.  Only thing I remember being a pain was having to print out the "codes" so you could actually complete the game.  The red and blue characters had different code sheets (obviously) so it took quite a bit of paper :p

Claymates (SNES)
Another great game.  I really should go and finish this someday. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Sid Maier's Alpha centauri. Though the name of the famous creator may be the reason for a certain "awareness of the existence" of the game, but it never was as great a success as I think it would have deserved to be.
I suppose the main reason is that Alpha Centauri is a lot more complex than the (otherwise similar) games of the Civilization series. Unlike in case of the later there was some very good and realistic diplomacy part in the game where you could even agree with an ally on where to attack a common foe etc. You could create your own vehicles, planes etc. with a set of equipment depending on which technologies you had already researched etc. The game was in many ways an enhanced version of Civilization for all those for whom the graphic isn't the most important feature (it certainly wasn't spectacular), but I suppose most people found it too complex.
As far as I'm concerned I only regret that it was impossible to play a game with the 7 teams of the original game plus the 7 teams of the "Alien Crossfire" expansion. There was no way to play with more than 7 teams which I think would have been really a major improvement.

ArtemisPanthar

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://artemispanthar.deviantart.com
Quote from: action9000,Jan 24 2008 on  07:00 AM
Now That's a name I haven't heard in awhile! :wow  I remember playing this back on my first computer ever.  Only thing I remember being a pain was having to print out the "codes" so you could actually complete the game.  The red and blue characters had different code sheets (obviously) so it took quite a bit of paper :p

Wow, I didn't think anyone knew of Hodj' n' Podj'! My copy came with a booklet for the codes so you didn't have to print those out...although we lost it pretty much the same day we bought it so we always played the full game blind XD Usually we just played the free-play version where you pick the games you play, because the crossword game was defective and would crash the game =\ So we'd have to start all over again if you happened to have to go there XD

Fun game, though. I recently bought a new copy to play only to discover it's one of the only games that can't be played on XP (even with DOSBox) =(

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Digimon Rumble Arena (PSX)
Yes, awesome game! :DD

For me, a game action9000 showed me, Serious Sam. Never heard of it or seen it anywhere, and it's pretty darn fun. One of the best and funnest Co-op games ever!

Oh and Claymates = the source of all video game frustration :p

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I think that all the Myst games after Riven were unheard of...and...they...are...AWSOME

It's like you're actually there, especally in Revelation, and the graphics...are awesome...AND THE MUSIC  :wow