The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pen and Paper Role Play Games

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Very recently I participated in a pen and paper role play game for the first time. It was a game of "Das schwarze Auge", and RPG which has been translated into English as "The Dark Eye" (the literal translation would be "The black eye" but in German the black eyes you get from being hit on your eye are referred to as "blaue Augen" (blue eyes), so they avoided the ambiguous meaning by making that eye dark rather than black... anyway, I'm getting of topic here). I wonder if anyone else here has ever played (or plays on regular basis) a non computer role play game.
I enjoyed it a lot and I hope to get into it a bit more maybe getting some more friends of mine to play along or some other people who may become friends in the process, that is the game ;)
Apart from the fun of the game itself I also like the fact that this game requires a fair degree of fantasy, creativity, and last but not least acceptance of those who sport these traits in a non-conventional kind of manner for example by being LBT fans. I would go so far as to say that somebody who enjoys playing such RPGs may be more likely to have no issues with an LBT fan than somebody who would look down upon such Role Play Gamers (of course this is just the impression I get from those RPGamers I have met so far and cannot be a rule applied to all RPGamers in general).
Anyway, does anyone else here have any experience with pen and paper RPGs such as "The Dark Eye", "Dungeons and Dragons" or the like?
Note that I'm really referring only to the pen and paper RPGs, not to any computer games playing in the universe of the same RPGs.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've played for a few years, though it's been many many years since I have.  I played 2nd edition d & d for about 6 weeks roughly, a bit of Mage the Apocalypse, a bit of a system I can't remember the name of, 1 session of west end games' star wars, and quite a bit of 3rd edition GURPS, a little over a year.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do so at school so now and then, usually under German or Economics lessons.. :p Now, that's just because the teachers are boring or mean :p

It's fun though :) . The last one we played didn't have a title.. But I can remember I was a flower:p.. And I could sing.. :p

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Me and some mates have infrequent sessions of Dungeons & Dragons, which is good fun. I generally assume the role of the Dungeon Master (the Game Master) as I have the best knowledge of the rules and a tiny bit of experience, although it sometimes feels like a "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" type situation.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Anyway, does anyone else here have any experience with pen and paper RPGs such as "The Dark Eye", "Dungeons and Dragons" or the like?
I don' really have much experience with the pen and paper RPGs though I can see how they could be a lot of fun!  I always kind of wanted to try it, I guess my friends around here aren't really role players by nature, so it would seem a little odd...people who aren't usually actors, trying to act and not being super comfortable with it.  That's mainly why I haven't tried it in the past.  I'd love to try it with people who are more into role playing though...with people who won't make fun of me when I try to role-play well. :p

The last one we played didn't have a title.. But I can remember I was a flower:p.. And I could sing..

Could you move? And dance? :p  :lol:

generally assume the role of the Dungeon Master (the Game Master) as I have the best knowledge of the rules and a tiny bit of experience,
I don't have enough experience or knowledge of the rules to be a Dungeon Master...the rules for D&D can get so confusing if you aren't really familiar with them. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They can be, especially with the 4th edition out currently, or soon to be out.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yea I could dance too 
Games need more dancing flowers! :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 24 2008 on  08:59 AM
Yea I could dance too
Remember that you were going to make your gaming code all nice and pretty?(with flowers?) xD

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 24 2008 on  12:01 AM
Quote from: action9000,Jun 24 2008 on  08:59 AM
Yea I could dance too 
Remember that you were going to make your gaming code all nice and pretty?(with flowers?) xD
ROFL!  Ha ha ha! :lol  :lol Geez, you guys! :P:  :D  :lol:

Oh, wait - what's that you say?  Have I had any experience this way?  Nope...  Though, I have heard of D&D (but who hasn't?)...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've been a tabletop player since I was 12 with some friends. I believe our first sessions were with Dungeons and Dragons, 2rd Edition (never use, unless you're desperate for some RPing). I'm also experienced in Mutants and Masterminds (a superhero RPG, though it can be virtually used for any kind of game), GURPS (hugely complex, you have to build everything from scratch), and the BESM and Tri-Stat System (both of which are basically GURPS, Jr.).

Note: never try to use BESM d20. The system isn't so bad, but the book on how to play is complex enough that it should be about the size of War and Peace, but its condensed down to 100 pages, making it a pain-staking effort to put anything together on paper.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf