The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Total Annihilation

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Has anyone played Total Annihilation (TA)?

For those who don't remember or don't know what it is; it was VERY well received and popular 1997 real time strategy game released by the (now part of Atari and mostly defunct) Cavedog Entertainment.  

It's a very old game but it has aged very well. Unfortunately, due to its age almost no computer store (except online) sells it. I got my copy (2002-2003) in a bargain bin at a drug store.

--------------------

I'll admit that it is EASILY one of my favorite RTS games. The resource and building system is unlike any other RTS I have ever seen.

The graphics are pretty smooth for a 12 year old game.

The projectiles act realistically (projectiles can miss). Artillery shells can arc over obstructions, lasers and missiles will damage the first thing they hit. Friendly fire can and will occur.

The unit AI is incredible. Units will actively try and dodge weapons fire and planes get into very cool dogfights.

My only complaint... the original AI sucks. That's why I had to download unofficial patches to boost the AI a bit.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I played it and enjoyed it a lot :yes
The graphics were and considering the time it was made still are really awesome. Sometimes I regret that same as most RTS games you can mostly roll over the enemy if you build up sufficient troops.
Do you know the unofficial successor supreme commander as well? One of the interesting features of that game is that you can zoom out the game map from a very close shot to the screen showing the complete map (like a huge minimap with strategic icons to show your units, buildings etc.).