The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Banjo Kazooie

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Does anybody else here still play Banjo Kazooie for N64?

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I watched an entire Let's Play for this once; simply because the guy doing it had such a pleasing voice. Looked like a fun game though (if frustrating at times).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Banjo-Kazooie was my most favorite game of the N64 and still is to this day.  I'm actually one of the best players on there.  My big standing is taking on Gruntilda and not losing ANY health without cheating. :) (Trust me though, it's not easy pulling that off. -_- )

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I grew up playing the Banjo Kazooie games! They were two of my most favorite games as a kid.

While we're on the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, has anyone played Nuts n' Bolts? Is it any good? Because I'm considering getting it but I'm a little skeptical about it.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Doooood, me and my brothers used to play Banjo Kazooie 2 all the time. That game was so freakin' fun. If I'm not mistaken, it had the multiplayer where you use the chicken as a gun and everything. I wish I still had it. :(

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Apr 14 2010 on  08:06 PM
While we're on the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, has anyone played Nuts n' Bolts? Is it any good? Because I'm considering getting it but I'm a little skeptical about it.
I've played Nuts n' Bolts, and it mainly depends on how much you like building things.

You see, the story of this one goes that it's been 10 years since the last game, and during that whole time, Banjo and Kazooie have been doing nothing but lazying about.  As such, they are now fat and slow.  They are physically unable to do all the moves that we loved. (Yeah, every last one of them gone! :o )

You will be building your own vehicles to replace all the moves.  It mainly consists of cars, planes, boats and subs.  You not only have to make them single, but also for multiple passengers.  On top of this, they are of an exact science in the balance department.  Basically, too much weight on one side will make it tilt.

Despite the look of ANY vehicle, as long as it has an engine and fuel, it will run.  Even if at times it defies the laws of physics.  How well it works, you will only know when you test it.

Truth is that I enjoy building things, so this was a good thing to me and only added to the gameplay.  Aside from that, it has many of the bells and whistles that you come to expect.  Pretty much all the characters you know and love, (Tootie, Banjo's Sister, is still MIA.) same old garbled speech when characters talk and Kazooie STILL doesn't learn to keep her trap shut! :P:

So, are you willing to take time to build stuff or not?  That is the big question here. :)

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah... the good 'ol days.

Both Banjo Kazooie games on the N64 were my favorites to play on that system. Two of the best platformers ever made.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Banjo-Kazooie is in my personal top ranks of classic games. In fact it is one of the few games of my gaming library that I have still YET to complete properly. I never managed to obtain a copy of Banjo-Tooie sadly but boy do I wish I did. Then the death bell tolled for Rare when Microsoft snapped it up. Without going into to much of the logistics, I really don't like what BK has become since Microsoft took over ownership of Rare. Call me an old git if you will but I BK for N64 was it's golden days. Think I might break it out for nostalgia's sake! :D

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't even know anyone had responded to my previous post until now! Sorry, Pokeplayer  :slap

Well I watched the first clip of Nuts & Bolts on Youtube and it doesn't look too promising IMO. Grunty's rhymes are usually pretty witty and funny. But her rhymes in that clip were just horrible. I actually found myself cringing at some of them.

You mentioned that you build cars in this game? Is that it? No platforming or anything?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well Animeboye, despite the fact that I did enjoy it, I do rate Nuts n' Bolts the worst of the three.  It's not that bad of a game, but those that normally rate it as being really bad aren't into building things.

Now, there is actually a tiny bit of 3D platforming in this game, but you have to be clever with it to use it effectively.  You can still attack without the vehicles, but your moves aren't as powerful.  However, the wand that is used within this game to assist you comes in VERY handy.  With it, you can move a number of objects and help you win the many challenges at hand.

Plus, if you are clever enough, you can get to a number of places in the Main World before you are supposed to.  Yes, I'm talking pulling off shortcuts in this game. ;)

Sadly, the challenges are timed and you're better off with the vehicles anyways during those times.  They are much faster and, at times, more reliable.

So yeah, hardly any platforming, but, when used right, it can be quite helpful. :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I played Nuts & Bolts and sold it back to Gamestop a few days ago. The game sucks, plain and simple. The challenges aren't fun, the characters are ridiculously out of character, Kazooie has no purpose in the game, the controls for the vehicles are terrible, oh yes, and the worlds are BORING!! Boring, boring, BORING!! I made it to the first act of BanjoLand before I decided that I had had enough. I liked Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie for the fact that while they were challenging, they were the fun kind of challenging. This game is challenging simply because the controls are so bad. I also hate how this game felt like Grand Theft Auto for kids: You get to run over people/enemies, you have to speak to a character to initiate a challenge, the VEHICLES(GRRRRRRR....) , all that's missing is an in game radio.

I should never have bought this game. I should have just downloaded Banjo Kazooie and Tooie on my 360.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^I had a feeling you wouldn't like it.  To be honest, you have to really be into building stuff to enjoy that thing.

I downloaded Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie quite a few months ago.  Still as enjoyable as ever, even if the controls feel a little odd on the XBox 360 Controller. :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, man, I really gave it an honest effort. I tried to be as open minded as I could but...

Oh, well, at least I can download Kazooie and Tooie from my X-Box 360.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey everyone!  I'm announcing here and now that I'll be Let's Playing this game in August! :celebrate

The original Banjo-Kazooie is my most favorite N64 Game of them all, and how fitting that I'll be playing it on the month of my birthday. :)

Whether or not there will be a Let's Play between this game and Paper Mario will all depend on where Paper Mario ends. (Chances are there will be one.  Only a short game just to ensure this can make the August deadline. :) )

So, look forward to that, for you will see just how good I am at this beast of a game. (You won't believe how cold I've got the swimming mechanics down. ;) )

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome! That's another of my favorite games of all time as well!

Will you be going for 100%? (as in, 100 jiggies, 900 (or was it 1000?) notes, all the cheats unlocked, etc.)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jul 17 2011 on  03:22 PM
Awesome! That's another of my favorite games of all time as well!

Will you be going for 100%? (as in, 100 jiggies, 900 (or was it 1000?) notes, all the cheats unlocked, etc.)
Yep!  100 Jiggies, 900 Notes, every extra honeycomb piece, every cheat and every secret.

On top of that, I'll be attempting the one feat I've been telling everyone about.  Beating Grunty without EVER taking damage.  Whether or not I succeed, we'll have to see. :)

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Jul 17 2011 on  06:12 PM
and the Stop N' Swop stuff? :o :p
I'll do those cheats as well. :)

Oh, and to all who have been watching my Blip account, the 100th episode special has been cancelled due to recording issues with the material at hand.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone.

I was going to do another "Let's Watch", but until I can figure out a set up that will work, that sadly won't happen again.  Sorry guys!  The whole "commentating on a full movie" deal is still looking like a one time thing.

However, I do have a new idea in mind.  I'll post it in another topic.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have not played this game in a long time.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Anyone want to do a speed run of this thing? (Where you try to get 100% in 4 hours.) I know some dirty little secrets that makes it incredibly difficult to do this in the required 4 hours provided.

1. Turns out, the cut scenes are added in to your time.  So, if you want to get as fast of a time as possible, you'd best skip those.  On top of that, whenever a character talks, that's added in to your time too.  This even includes the Bottles Moves Explanations.  Yeah, those are added in to your time as well, so you have to skip that as well. (However, you also have to take into account which ones are choices between them, and doing the code to skip counts as "No", so you have to fast-forward instead if the choice is meant to be "Yes".)

2. Turning off the game when you are about to make a serious mistake DOES NOT WORK.  The game secretly has an auto-save feature added in, but you don't notice this until you turn it back on and realize that the time is different from the last time you saved.  So, thanks to this, there's zero room for error in a speed run.

3. Even after you beat the game and defeat Grunty, the timer is still going.  You have to make sure you get through the end scene, the credits and Mumbo's explanation of some of the secrets before you can get a final official time.  If you just turn off the game early, it won't count (It will only add time and not save you defeating Grunty.) and you have to defeat Grunty again to get an official time, thus adding in more time.  Only when you get through all that and go to the game select screen will you get the final official time.

You don't know how many times I got screwed over of getting it done in 4 hours, just because of these three dirty little secrets.  To this day, I have yet to accomplish a speed run, and it's due to one of these screwing me over.

Someone has claimed to do it in under 3 hours, but I don't know if I can even do it in the required 4.

So yeah, just so you know, if you want to do a speed run, be ready to get screwed over.

Thanks a lot, Rare! :D