The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

System Shock

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Before there was the rather mediocre Bioshock, there was the masterpeice known as System Shock,an action role-playing game developed by Looking Glass Technologies and published by Origin Systems. Released in 1994.

The game is set aboard the fictional Citadel Station in a cyberpunk vision of 2072. Assuming the role of a nameless hacker, the player attempts to hinder the plans of a malevolent artificial intelligence.

Unlike other first-person games of the time, System Shock features true 3D environments, allowing you to look up and down, climb, duck, jump, and lean to the side. System Shock is hailed as a major innovation in its genre. It was later placed on multiple hall of fame lists. Despite its technological feats and critical acceptance, System Shock was outsold by its contemporaries.

In 1999, System Shock 2 was released and blew its predecessor away, literally, considering that the entire game took place on an abandoned spacecraft, the crew dead, meant you were alone...you and SHODAN, when you first awaken it is S.H.O.D.A.N who helps you find your way around the ship, meaning she is both your best friend and your worst enemy but by the end of the game you would no doubt be glad to put her out of her misery.

Some few years after the release of System Shock 2, Looking Glass Technologies confirmed that System Shock 3 was under development but now little is known about System Shock 3, although people do claim that Bioshock is a so-called "spiritual successor" to the System Shock series, maybe when Bioshock is actually good I would believe that, for now I doubt its true, why, because Shodan or any of the System Shock elements never appear in Bioshock, but hey System Shock will live on, hail Shodan!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I wouldn't really call Bioshock "mediocre". I thought it was a pretty good game. I never bothered to play System Shock, though. I can't play System Shock 2 due to issues (I doubt I'll find a way to get it to work on Windows 7) and the original System Shock I tried to play via virtual operating system, however the controls are horrible in my opinion. And what's worse, I can't even change them. I have however watched a playthrough of both games. I do kind of like the games, though mostly just for Shodan. The other characters...I couldn't really connect with them that well. Shodan's pretty much the only character in both games I can say I liked. I personally wouldn't go as far as call System Shock or System Shock 2 a "masterpiece". Then again, I don't think I've ever labeled any game a "masterpiece", as "masterpiece" would imply a perfect game, but no game is perfect; they all have their flaws, in my opinion.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Having never played either of the System Shock games, I can't say anything about them but Bioshock and Bioshock 2 excellent games.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@F-14 Ace - Well, for one thing Bioshock was kind of easy, where as System    Shock 1 and 2 definatly were quite challenging (especially on SS2's "Impossible" difficulty), it forced you to always be on your toes and avoid security cameras(unless you wanted to fend off 7 or 8 hybrids), also Bioshock's plot twist was nowhere near as interesting or as shocking as SS2's, basically throughout the game you see this girl helping you out and halfway through the game you attempt to get her out of danger only to find out that she was dead before the game even started and that the one you were listening to was Shodan, and soon Shodan appears and gives you some backstory on her life, its much more intimdating than it sounds(Shodan's reveal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFZ5fv_pb8).

@DarkHououmon-Bioshock isn't really a bad game as much as a disgustingly easy one, but it is mediocre when compared to System Shock, heck in SS2 there were at least six parts which made me jump, in Bioshock, none, it also goes to show that games today hold your hand too much and that game developers today think that good graphics and alot of gore will get them a good game, when  System Shock 1 and 2 were artforms in gaming.