The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Has anyone ever worried...

Guest · 14 · 1959

Bruton the Iguanodon

We all know and love the song "If we hold on together". A good 90% of us would probably say it's our favorite LBT song. I'm just worrying...that it might not get heard by kids watching the original movie.

"What do you mean?" you ask. Well, it starts playing as the credits roll. You know, the part where the kids stop watching, cause they don't care about that stuff. And the thought that such an amazing song might be missed out on...  :(

However, after watching the movie enough times, they might just start to watch the credits. Or maybe the song will hook them enough from the start that they won't stop watching, for once. I dunno. What do you think?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
For that matter there are likely many adults who don't watch the credits either.  Though credits can have cool or good/great music.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was one of those kids. I saw the original movie in 2002 (I may have seen it in the early 1990s, but I can't remember; my parents told me I watched the Lion King as a child, yet I can't remember a thing about it), but the credits were cut off. I heard If We Hold On Together for the first time in 2010. I immediately felt intense melancholia, and I didn't feel well for the remainder of the day. I love that song, but because of the intense feelings it causes I avoid listening to it.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't think taht I have ever heard the full song.When I watched it as a kid I always stopped watching when the credits started,or during the credits.I can't remember that song,but i can recognize it,and I remember that it always made me feel sad.Don't know why,maybe becose the song meant the end of the film for me,and it still makes me sad.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I always listened to the song. The song itself started immediately as the credits rolled by, so for me, it was hard to miss. If it had started a few minutes into the credits instead, then yes I could see children missing out on it. But the song starts, like, 2 seconds as the credits start and I didn't use the remote much as a kid, so little chance of me missing it. I used to rewind and replay the credits just to listen to that song.

I was probably unusual as a kid as I did enjoy watching the credits. Though admittingly, I mainly watched them to see the voice actors list. Sometimes I didn't know the name of a character, so I look there, or I just wanted to know who voiced them.

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
I actually sit and listen to the closing song while the credits roll. It's like sitting in church after the benediction and listening to the organist play the postlude instead of getting up because we're in a hurry to go to Point B.  Hey, a lot of work goes into both and I've always appreciated a musician's efforts, so I sit and listen. :yes

A few years ago when I was substitute teaching in a first grade class, I brought a VHS copy of LBT. Some of these kids hadn't seen the original movie but where very much into dinosaurs and were familiar with the characters.  I also found out one of the room mothers was (still is) a big Diana Ross fan. Her daughter knew all about Ross and the Supremes, Motown, the whole bit. At the end instead of hitting Stop I just let it play through. Yes, Ms. Ross was a big selling point, but the words really hit home for us. I worked in 'hoods and schools where people don't always get along, and conflict is often settled with varying degrees of violence. Listening to the song really puts that "Can't we all get along?" into perspective.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sometimes I"ll listen to the credits or not, depending on the mood I'm in at that time. With dvd's nowadays you can go right to the credits if you want instead of watching the movie or even before the movie.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I saw the original movie in 2002

So did I!  :DD

I've got my whole history of LBT written in the "How you found LBT" section if you want to read it. At the moment, you've given me some interest to hear yours, which I'm sure is there too. (goes off to check)

Hmm...guess you haven't gotten aroud to doing it yet. Oh well.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^Check my thread in the Ask Me section. My history's there.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I forget when I first saw LBT. My brother saw it in theatres. I think my dad bought it or rented it when it came on DVD. So my guess is the earliest I saw it was about 4 or 5 years old. Maybe a couple years older. I was born in 1985 and the movie came out to theatres in 1988, so it was probably 1989 or 1990 when I first saw it.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I never actually heard the end song until I was in my teens. Although I wasn't in the habit of watching the end credits of films in my youth, the reason I never heard IWHOT was because my copy of LBT was a recording of it playing as the Saturday Night Feature on telly, and an announcer began speaking over it not three seconds after the song began! Worse, the credits abruptly cut off to an advert!

I don't remember when I actually got around to listening to it; I think it might have been some time after I watched the first film on DVD for the first time - I definitely remember thinking "Hang on a minute...she's singing the theme from the film! How did I never realise this?" - and by a freak co-incidence it turned out we had a Diana Ross CD that actually had the song on it, so I added that to my playlists pronto - before eventually tracking down the soundtrack on eBay, of course!

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmmm... some movies being uploaded online to paid services don't have credits I've noticed. I hope that doesn't trend...

I watched whole credits first time I remember, but most times after that, just maybe two minutes, because it got a little tiring seeing so much blue for a while, ha, and I was a, well, kid.

I was only... four-and-a-half when my mom bought The Land Before Time, so... about 1998.5? (and I think 2-5 followed not long after (perhaps different intervals but really close by). VII and VIII were probably between 2000-2003. My parents usually just got the LBT that was available, and so only watched VI on television lol, and didn't get to see 9-13 till 2004.5-2008 roughly (got back from Ecuador in 2004.5).

Such a great song :)

Bruton the Iguanodon

Although I wasn't in the habit of watching the end credits of films in my youth, the reason I never heard IWHOT was because my copy of LBT was a recording of it playing as the Saturday Night Feature on telly, and an announcer began speaking over it not three seconds after the song began! Worse, the credits abruptly cut off to an advert!

That sucks.

I guess I should mention that back in late March-early April of 2011, when I was rediscovering LBT, I ended up looking at our old VHS tape of it that had the original film and 4 disney movies on it. (I'd seen it a while back and was shocked we actually had an LBT film other than 4 on tape!)  I was really saddened to see that the credits got cut off after the first verse and the next movie immediately began.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 1 2012 on  12:59 AM
I guess I should mention that back in late March-early April of 2011, when I was rediscovering LBT, I ended up looking at our old VHS tape of it that had the original film and 4 disney movies on it. (I'd seen it a while back and was shocked we actually had an LBT film other than 4 on tape!)  I was really saddened to see that the credits got cut off after the first verse and the next movie immediately began.
Oh, the old VHS tapes :wow. We use to record so many TV movies on them. If not for that possibility, would've forgotten (or probably not watched) Master of Disguise, Oliver and Company, and others.