The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Had the gang found Spike?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just realized Ducky found Spike since she was catapulted by Cera.
had they found him, when Cera hadn't catapulted the little Swimmer?
Inactive, probably forever.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt it to be honest. When you look at the animation you can see that Ducky is slung quite far by the catapult log. Unless the direction she got catapulted is the same as the course they already wanted to take, I think the chance is relatively small that they could find Spike. Say that they had not found him as an egg, Spike may have decided to stay in the egg a little longer. Or maybe he would hatch, but would eat and fall asleep right after (since he wanted to do that when Ducky found him). I don't think their paths would cross since Spike would be so far behind on the others, even if they were heading in the same direction.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I also doubt that they would have found Spike if it weren't for that catapulting event.

Sorry if this is off-topic but it's been a big while since I saw the first movie so I could be wrong, but I do remember the Gang finally did take Spike with them.... but it was never mentioned that Spike's parents were no longer around, maybe they were farther than usual due to lack of food in the surroundings, so does anybody considered that Spike's parents may have been actually alive and returned to the nest at some point only to find the egg hatched but the little one was no longer there?.

Bruton the Iguanodon

That would have made a good storyline for one of the sequels. Movie 8 would have been interesting if Spike had actually met his biological parents, and had to choose between going with them or staying in the valley. Alas, the writers weren't that bold, but perhaps they realized this would have worked and wrote and similar storyline for movie 10.

Do you know in one book for the original Spike met up with his parents at the valley? I don't see why this couldn't have been done in the movie, seeing as there were no plans for sequels, so it wouldn't have affected 8, and I like the gang better just as five friends, w/o any of them being siblings. Just my opinion.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Sadly I have not read any of the books I know that exist with the story.

I also find unlikely the writters would have payed any close attention to the original movie (so even less to previous sequels) to make an extra plot about Spike, but at least there was LBT08.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Whether or not they would have found Spike anyway may depend on the direction in which Ducky was catapulted. Was it the direction in which they were headed anyway? If so there was some good chance that they might have found it; after all there was edible green food around that egg which well might have caught the interest of the group. Also Spike made some little noises inside the egg which Ducky heard even before seeing the egg and which might have caught the attention of the group in case they were passing by close enough (after all an earlier scene suggested that Littlefoot was listening closely for the sound of possible predators). We won't know for certain I'm afraid.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
In other words, it's blessed miracle that Ducky just happened to get thrown in the right direction, or else Spike probably would have died out there.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good points guys ;)

The idea that Spikes parents are still alive is a good plot for a fic or a RP indeed

Sadly we'll never know the answer of this question as Malte already stated

Inactive, probably forever.

Lone Survivor

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I read on the Land Before Time Wiki that if Ducky hadn't found Spike's egg it would have never hatched.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The land before time Wiki is written by fans like you and me though. Sometimes possibilities or opinions are turned into facts there. More likely than not Spike wouldn't have made it very far without his friends, but given that the egg was starting to crack when Ducky arrived I think it is quite likely that he would have made it out of the shell on his own once hunger overcame sleepiness ;)