The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
WR, I get where you are coming from.  "A My Little Pony Movie that has hardly any pony in it?  Are you serious?" Yeah, and it can be difficult to get over that hurdle, especially when it's called "My Little Pony".  I get it.  Heck, I admit to being skeptical myself when I found out it would be centered in another dimension and none of the characters would be pony to begin with.  Plus, it was a high school setting and those haven't been looking good lately.

Still, was there ANYTHING that you liked about it?  Anything at all?  Just name it, no matter how much you hated the movie.

Also, how do you fell they could have done this kind of story better, if at all?  What improvements could they make on it as a whole?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I hate Equestria Girls as well.  I don't like what Hasbro has been doing with the series anyway.  It seems all they're concerned about is selling their toys.  They're not selling well.  Gee, I wonder why?  Have you people seen them?  They're almost as bad as the G1-G3 pony toys.  But instead of redesigning them, Hasbro keeps changing the show.  

Oh, it needs a wedding!  Girls LOVE weddings and pretending to get married!  Let's pull Twilight's brother out of NOWHERE and make him get married so we can make a wedding set!  Oops, that didn't work.  I know!  Another princess!  Let's make Twilight a princess!  Oops.  That didn't do too well.  I know!  Girls don't like the toys because they're not human!  Let's make the ponies humanized.  That will do it!  

Ironically I'm sure making the humanized ponies made them sell better because parents not in the know are more likely to buy a "doll" for their little girl than a pony.  Most parents nowadays don't even know what their kids are watching or what their kids like.  They're just too busy.  But a big purple doll?  For only $12?  That will work.  And honestly, they're made better than the pony toys.  Pathetic.

Many other companies have made some awesome pony toys and figurines.  Heck, even the McDonalds toys were better than what Hasbro came up with.  I just hope they're done f*cking with the series to try to make their HORRIBLE toys sell.  So far the writers have been EXCELLENT at covering up the blunders of the higher-ups, but eventually they will fail.  Now we have weird colored ponies because I'm sure Hasbro was thinking that the toys just didn't stand out enough.  So they took the already horrible toys and made them horrendously colored in the hopes that will make them sell better.  Honestly, the stupidity of large companies still amazes me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
@pokeplayer: It had the voice talents from the TV show. That was the only thing I appreciated about Equestria Girls.

@landbeforetimelower: Well, my opinion of the recent events of the show and the toys isn't quite that negative, but yeah, you make good points. Personally, I never understood why Shining Armor wasn't just a pegasus and Rainbow Dash's brother. We don't know ANYTHING about her family so Hasbro could have given her a previous unknown brother a lot more easily than they did with Twilight.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I suppose once I reach the end of the series (I'm not hurrying to reach the last episodes so far unwatched) I'm going to take a look at the spin-off and make up my mind.
You are correct in pointing out that we know nothing about Rainbow Dash's family WR. The same goes for the family of Fluttershy and (with the exception of Sweetie Bell) Rarity.
In that respect MLP partly stuck with the old cartoon rule that parents don't exist. Only siblings, aunts and uncles and if there are any parents after all at least one of them is bound to get killed ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though Rarity's parents did appear in one scene of an episode.  And in a flashback of Rainbow Dash we do see her on the back of someone who could have been her dad.  but most of the main 6 we know nothing of their parents, maybe see glimpses of them, some or most never talk or have official names, as far as I know.    It's very much like all of them moved far away from their families and for the most part, except for one of Pinkie's sisters, their families never come to visit them.  Except that Sweetie Belle and their parents may live close enough to keep having Rarity babysit for Sweetie Belle at her house while I guess they go in trips for fun or business trips maybe.

I remember many in the fandom were not happy with Twilight's brother appearing from nowhere, not even being mentioned before, and a foal sitter who also wasn't in any of twlight's flashbacks, as her brother wasn't either.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 13 2014 on  01:30 PM
@landbeforetimelower: Well, my opinion of the recent events of the show and the toys isn't quite that negative
Hey, I'm not saying I don't like the show.  I LOVE the show!  But these terrible decisions from the higher ups might end up ruining things.  I wouldn't be a happy camper if they ended up making the show a cheesy excuse to sell toys (which was basically what G1 - G3 was) with new characters popping out of nowhere and crazy stuff happening just so they can make a new toy out of it.  Frankly MLP was only as popular as it was back then because of the criminal lack of girls cartoons back in the 80's and early 90's.  If they released that smoking pile of crap today, it would most certainly fail.  No offense to any fans of the G1 - G3 shows (if there are any), but if you're a fan, you're definitely in the minority.  Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.  I'm just sayin'.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You didn't even like the songs, WR?  Wow!  That bad for ya, huh? :(

Don't know if I can convince you to give the second one a chance.  It is an improvement over the first.  Plus, there is a scene where they make fun of certain parts of the first movie.  Much to Sunset Shimmer's embarrassment.  I'll let you choose just based on that information.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I stance remains the same. I will go to one of these G4 Pony films when they take place in Equestria and feature the characters we know and love from the show, and not just some cheap humanized counterparts. I am not budging on this.

I agree, landbeforetimelover. I hope the show doesn't jump the shark anytime soon. It's been doing so well despite the high ups at Hasbro.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I watched Equestria Girls and even have it stored on my computer.  But I really disliked it.  It was your typical, cheesy, cliche show with high school concepts that haven't been a reality since the 70's.  And worse yet, they took the characters and bastardized them into these weird....things.  Applejack isn't really Applejack if you deform her into this weird human/hybrid thing.  She loses her spark, what makes her who she truly is.  Your body is...well....you.  If you change your body, especially into something TOTALLY different that kind of resembles the old body, it ends up being really weird and awkward.  No thanks.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I will still plan on posting the streams for Rainbow Rocks for when it appears on TV.  I now have an official time.  It will air on Discovery Family on October 17th at 3:30 PM ET/12:30 PM PT.

I will post the link to the streams when I find them.  Hopefully with plenty of time left for those that want to see it.

See ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LIVE STREAM POST!

Here we go!  It is time to start the (insane?) posting and updating of this first TV airing!  Before I begin, note that if you miss it today, you can still catch it tomorrow.

First up is, CinemaQuestria who will be doing a mini-marathon before and after the movie.  This marathon will also include the uncut version of the original Equestria Girls! (When it aired on TV, Hub cut out two songs due to time restraints and removed Derpy due to the "Derpy Fiasco" still going on at the time.) For those not interested in that, they've got Legend of Korra, Freakazoid and Pinky & the Brain before the movie airings and Pokemon: Origins! and Anime Night: Attack on Titan after the movie.

I'll update this if/as more come in. :)

See ya later! :wave

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is one thing about the world of MLP I'm kind of wondering about and am not sure if the topic has been discussed anywhere else.

While the concept of aging and mortality does exist in the world of equestria the princesses Celestia and Luna and Discord are apparently immortal (seeing that Luna had been banned for 1000 years and neither her nor Celestia nor the even previously petrified Discored have gotten any older since) and with near godlike powers (though neither omniscient nor omnipotent). Now I'm kind of wondering if the promotion to princesses of Cadence (we never really learn about how she became a princess or if she was born as one) and Twilight does include that kind of immortality.
If it did it would imply an extremely tragic future for Twilight if she was to live forever to see all her non royal friends age and die. Even if Twilight is spared immortality it would remain a very harsh burden on Celestia and Luna (who knows how many they have seen to whom they had established similar friendships as with Twilight just to see them age and pass on) :unsure:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think some have asked the writing staff on the show, or the higher ups and I read that they said that Twilight will not outlive her friends.  I guess that an alicorn like Cadance or Twilight may have to evolve another stage.  We did see 1 scene where Cadance's mane flowed like Celestia & Luna's for a second or 2 then went back to normal, then later on Twlight's flowed for a second or so before her mane went back to normal.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Generally speaking, immortals would develop a different mentality than mortals. They would become more able to cope with the vagaries of life, including death, as time goes by. They would understand existence on a much deeper and more serious level. That doesn't preclude them from truly enjoying spending time with others, anymore than it precludes experienced adults from finding joy in the much less experienced children.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, since I had watched the Rainbow Rocks Movie in theaters, I did NOT watch the TV Version.  However, here's what I got from the comments of those that did watch it.  As expected with ANY movie, the end credits were shoved into an unreadable box and silenced in favor of advertisements.  It's something I've come to expect these days. <_<

On top of that, the scene AFTER the credits was removed as well.  It's quite an interesting reveal and could make for an interesting story if a third movie is made and it revolves around that idea.

There were other scenes cut out, especially one that I can't help but feel that it would only help people begin to actually like something about Flash Sentry.  Oh well! -_-

So yeah!  Looks like we'll have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray version of the movie to see those cut scenes again.

Well that's all for now.  See ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Now, for those wondering why I didn't do a Video Link Post for the movie, here's why.

1) Hasbro is a little too vigilant this time around.  When the first link came up, they were quick to axe it.  It only took them less than an hour to remove it.  It's getting a bit too difficult to keep a YouTube link this time around.

2) It is not the uncut HD version that people are posting.  From what I have gathered, there are too many important scenes being removed in favor of a small time slot.  As such, I shall wait until the DVD/Blu-ray release before I post a link for it.

So yeah, those are my reasons.  Hope you all can wait. :)

Anyways, it has been announced that another movie for My Little Pony will come out in 2017.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/10/my-l...ength-film.html

There is no known plot yet, but it does have the writer behind Twilight's Kingdom for it, so I feel that is a plus. :)

We'll see how it goes.

That's all for now.  See ya later! :wave

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
To Be Announced (100th episode!) note Per the MLP panel at the 2014 SDCC, this might have elements of a Lower Deck Episode featuring the background ponies and Coco Pommel.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds interesting.  Hope it is more then just that 1 episode when they have background ponies being featured more.