The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anime

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Anyone here watch Anime?
If so, which ones are your favorites and why?
And do you have any Anime that you'd like recommend?

1. Well, I do. The ironic thing is I used to hate it. My eyes have been opened to how wonderful the art form can be in the last year.

2. My favorite Anime series would be "Trigun", "Cowboy Bebop", "InuYasha", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Slayers", "Fushigi Y?gi", "Berserk", "Haibane renmei", and "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex".
Full length features: "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaa".

Why? (Major spoilers ahead)

1. "Trigun": The animation is good, the themes are interesting, the story is well handled, and the hero is delightfully strange. Basically, it's about a guy who has a $2 billion bounty on his head for something that was beyond his control. He just wound up taking the blame. He despises the idea of ending another life and will go out of his way to avoid it. In fact, despite the incredibly intense violence of the series: He only ends up killing one person, and he only did it because is was a "kill the guy or watch your friends die" situation. It still shattered him, though. I also like how it delves into the characters' respective pasts. Of course, like most anime: It does not have a completely happy ending, but unlike most anime: There was a bright side to the ending to be seen.
(I'll get to the others a little later.)

3. Ones I'd recommend: All of them. Be warned. Most of the anime I watch is not for the faunt of heart, "Berserk" especially.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I too watch Inuyasha, Cowboy bebpo, and Lupin the Third. Inuyasha is my favorite.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's kind of hard NOT to watch any anime in my family :p .

Anyway, here's a list of shows I watch the most often (even though they don't air some of them anymore):

PokÈmon
Digimon
Yu-Gi-Oh

I saw a few episodes of InuYasha, which all seemed good to watch more of if I have Cartoon Network.

I've also seen several movies like the PokÈmon movies only up to Mewtwo Returns, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and Porco Rosso.

Any other shows I've seen I managed to watch only one episode of each.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I loved Digimon and I watch Yu-gi-oh a lot. I own Sprited Away as well...its kinda like alice In a Far East Wonderland...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I've been into Anime for yonks. In fact, it was my mum that got me into it when I started watching one at the end of a tape recording I made ages ago. I love the feature length movie animes. My personal favs are:

1). Devilman - A half demon, half human hybrid merge to protect humankind from being munched by demons (very gory but loadsa kick butt action!). Strong of stomach and heart need only apply.

2). Winds of Amnesia - A race of unknowns blow a wind over early 21st century Earth wiping the memories of humans clean starting the evolution of man again but in a modern day-and-age. Very clever plot and gets you thinking...what if?

3). Ghost in the Shell - Every anime viewer should know this one as it is one of the revolutionary ones. Excellent starting point for anyone!

4). Akira - Warped and seriously disturbed on a mental level but another huge milestone for anime development.

5). Spirited Away - The most beautiful, mind-capturing anime experience to hit recent times. I was blown away by the story and animation is incredible. Bit of a head-bend but a must see/own.

There are loads more that I've seen but I recommend those 5 in particular. I havent seen much on the Anime front recently but I'm always on the look out! ;)
Oh! And if you hated the live action version of the Streetfighter movie (let's face it...it's a Steven Seagal movie...nuff said <_<) check out Streetfighter II the anime movie. You wont be disappointed :D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen Howl's Flying Castle? It's by the same guy who did "Spirited Away'
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Cant say I have...what's it entail?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I didn't think that movie came out just yet.  My brother's an anime fanatic, so he might know.

Oh yeah, I just remembered more anime I liked that I forgot to add to the list:

Monster Ranchers
Mon Colle Knights

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I Remember Monster Rancher . It had a hero named Genki and a heroine named Holly. My Favorite character was Tiger of the Wind.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Sonic the Hedgehog anime Sonic X isn't too bad. It pretty much follows the storylines of the Sonic Adventure games for Sega Dreamcast (later re-released on Gamecube). Not a bad check out for Sonic fans but it's not my favourite Sonic animated series

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I Remember Monster Rancher . It had a hero named Genki and a heroine named Holly. My Favorite character was Tiger of the Wind.
I am a Motchi fan of that show myself. He learns an amazing attack called Cherry Blossom Blizzard later in the series. It's very powerful and looks awesome too. He's the friendliest and most affectionate monster on the team, in my opinion. I've always loved the "innocent" charcters in shows for some reason.

Here are the anime shows that I still love these days. With such a long list, I'm sure everyone here would greatly prefer it if I didn't explain why I love each one of these. But let me warn you: I enjoy a LOT of anime. My list includes:
InuYasha
Dragon Ball/Z/GT
Mega Man NT Warrior
Digimon Tamers and Data Sqaud
Monster Rancher
Magic Knight Rayearth
Dragon Drive
Dot Hack Sign/Legend of the Twilight/Roots
Bleach
Descendants of Darkness
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
Naruto
Rental Magica
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh
Sonic X
Tsubasa
Shaman King
Fruits Basket
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Flame of Recca
M.A.R.: Marchen Awakens Romance
Rurouni Kenshin
Elemental Gelade
The Law of Ueki
Code Geass
Negima
and Card Captor Sakura
Now please don't be alarmed. My memory isn't THIS good. I keep track of most the anime I love in a notebook because there is no way I could quote all these from memory. Each one of these I either enjoy a lot of right now, or at least I did when they were still going, but I still think about those ones today.

Has anyone seen Howl's Flying Castle? It's by the same guy who did "Spirited Away'
Yes, I love that movie very much as I do almost every Hayao Miyazaki film. However, it is actually called "Howl's Moving Castle" because it doesn't fly, but sort of moves around on the ground as if it was a living creature.

Now as for anime movies that I love, you can relax now because my list for those is considerably smaller:
Stormy Night
Dragon Half
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky
Whisper of the Heart
Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody
Wrath of the Ninja
Princess Mononoke
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Yu-Gi-Oh the Movie
and Straight Jacket

You can probably tell I mainly just watch anime, and that I watch it a LOT. Anime is totally amazing. The detailed artwork, intricate stories full of surprises, characters you can relate to, usually amazing powers, and a lot of great humor with romance here and there makes things very miserable for me when it's comercial time. Anime makes up about 97% of what different shows I watch on television. Huge fan and total fanatic- you may call me either one or both because they fit me pretty well I think. And I'm sorry, but with the length of my lists, I have not been able to decide on a favorite for either one just yet. I would recommend all of these to your guys, but I don't like inducing headaches, so I'll just leave it at this. Later!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I don't watch anime too much.  Most of it I don't care for, but a few of them I actually like.  Inuyasha, Bleach, Death Note, and Blood+ to name a few.  I don't have too much time to spend watching anime and since it comes on the TV only at like 3am and only one weekdays, I don't get exposed to the newest stuff.  All I can do is download it but I'm not gonna download 50gb worth of anime if I've never seen it before so I don't get exposed to new anime very often.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like anime.  I've watched some, but don't recall all the titles.  

8th Man After - One of the first ones I saw.  An interesting story, though darkish in spots.
Akira, one of the first anime that I've watched.  
Blue Submarine - I've only seen parts of it but liked it somewhat.
Casshan , The Robot Hunter - Don't recall a lot of it but I did recall liking it.
Castle in the Sky - very interesting and different technology.  (I think the original name is Laputa)

Ghost In the Shell - an odd story, but I recall liking it, I think.
Gunsmith Cats - Serious story plots, but funny scenes too.  
Space Battleship Yamato - parts of the first season of Star Blazers cut into a movie.
Spirited Away - good story and animation, though it seemed unusual or odd in spots.  
Vampire Hunter D - One of the first anime that I watched, dark but a good story.
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - a prequel, also a good story, though dark.

Astroboy - I've only seen the original pilot and that is it.
Beastwars 2nd - I've only seen a few episodes of a fan subtitled.
Cowboy Beebop - onlyseen a few episodes but think I like it, and the sci-fi background and the way the kid doesn't seem to be the star or a super kid as in most other series.

Dragon Half- a bit childish, but ok comedy in spots.
Full Metal Alchemist - Only seen a few episodes but liked the animation, story, background.

Gatchaman - better, in my opinion, then the battle of the planets version, no stupid robot.  Though more for nostalgic maybe.

Hellsing - only seen the first episode, seems a good story, but pretty dark.
Macross/Robotech - seen the first few episodes of both versions and like the quality of the story, though it is weak in spots.  Like a civilian getting into a likely high security plane.  

Record of Lodoss War - like the part of the mini series I like better then the tv series.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Wow, I'm surprised to see this thread again.

Well, as an update, I've made a list of my favorite anime:

1. FullMetal Alchemist
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Trigun
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. .hack/SIGN
6. Haibane Remnei
7. Black Cat
8. Serial Experiments Lain
9. Slayers (all of them)
10. Gundam Seed
11. Fushigi Yuugi: The Mysterious Play
12. Chrono Crusade
13. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
14. Princess Mononoke
15. Kiki’s Delivery Service
16. Gundam-0083
17. .hack/Legend of the Twilight Bracelet
18. Bleach
19. Scrapped Princess
20. Trinity Blood
21. Hellsing
22. Rurouni Kenshin (up to Kenshin’s final showdown with Lord Shishio, anyway)
23. InuYasha
24. Big O
25. Witch Hunter: Robin
26. The Vision of Escaflowne
27. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
28. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Second Gig
29. Elfen Lied
30. Gundam Wing
31. Louie the Rune Soldier (too hilarious!)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've seen quite a bit of anime.  Here's my list:

Pokemon (Obviously)
Digimon (recorded seasons 1 and almost all of season 2)
Wolf's Rain (my personal favorite)
Monster Ranchers (another fave)
Scryed (another good one)
InuYasha
Shinjo
Full Metal Alchemist
Yu Gi Oh (didn't like 5D's)
Mon Colle Knights
Sonic X
Neon Genesis Evangeleon (good one, but confusing)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Medabots
Vision of Escaflowne
Cardcaptor Sakura
Sailor Moon

Here's my list of anime movies:
Princess Mononoke
The Cat Returns (surprisingly good)
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro (that's a funny one)
Pom Poco (pretty good, but odd)
Spirited Away
Nausica and the Valley of the Wind
Most of the Pokemon movies (the last one I haven't seen yet;  I liked the 2000 and the Latios/Latias ones best)
The Digimon movies

The only anime I'm hoping to find are Wild Knights Gulkeeva and Dragon Century.  Also, my brother has the whole Miyazaki movie collection, and he's seen much more anime than I have.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I watched a couple of animes growing up, but now I'm only interested in a small amount, which I'll of course list here.

Digimon (I've watched practically all of the first and third and seen some of the second and fourth.)

Yu-gi-oh! (The original and 5D's are my favs.)

Dragon Ball Z (I haven't really seen the original or GT.)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've only recently been interested in anime (past year and a half or so).  Some of its good...some of it, not so good.

The stuff I liked:

Wolf's Rain
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Nausicaa
Laputa (the Castle in the Sky)
Pom Poko
Pokemon (only the first season or two)

What I did not like:

Cowboy Bebop
Pokemon (anything after Misty left)
Bleach

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a revive of a topic! Someone was digging around the archives a tad :lol To add to my personal list of enjoyed animes;

Full Metal Alchemist - The story line is great and somewhat sinister in some places. Like the episode where spliced the two main characters come across an alchemist that splices his own young daughter into the body of their pet dog?! That was creepy! :blink:

Advent Children - Any lowly bowing slave of a gamer to the FF7 video game will have this movie mounted on their wall (ok...slight over exaggeration there but hey... :D ). I adore Advent Children and I heard rumour that there is to be a sequel made by the same production team. Here's to hoping...

The Mysterious Cities of Gold - This one is for the oldies (all those 80s kids out there stick your hands up  :wave). It's a golden classic anime from 1982 whereby a boy with the power to summon the sun embarks on a quest to find El Dorado (The Cities of Gold). The animation is somewhat dated but it's an awesome mish mash of daring adventure and sci-fi thrills. If you can remember greats like Ulysses then you're bound to remember this. It's in a league of it's own! I'd love for anyone to honour me with their own rememberance of this cartoon series :DD

Resident Evil: Degeneration - Being a fan of the games, I leapt at this movie when it was released Monday just past. It's so much better than the Milla Jovovich movies and it's a semi bridge between Resi 4 and 5 (due 13th March worldwide apparently). Great action, if not a little overkill on the bloodshed, and sees the re-teaming of Claire Redfield and Leon Kennedy from RE2! Awesome!  :smile

WeirdRaptor: Is Stand Alone Complex any good? I've looked at it many a time in the stores but haven't been entirely sure coz I was shocked and apalled by GitS2: Innocence. Is it worth the purchase?

Sableye

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yes, Spirited Away is a very good movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

Other anime that I have watched include:

1. Pokemon
2. Yu-Gi-Oh!
3. Dragonball Z
4. Lucky Star
5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
6. Green Green
7. Clannad
8. Shakugan no Shana
9. Kamichu!
10. Death Note
11. Probably many others that I'm forgetting

If you haven't seen Death Note, I highly recommend it.