The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sharpneck Tales

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Wanted to submit this for the 'Stuck at School' prompt, but I was a little late  :rhett_smile.  Besides, the first page doesn't exactly fit the bill, but the following ones will!  ... Provided I keep this comic going.

As you can see, sharpnecks (amargasauruses) like Dagara change colour to reflect certain states of mind.  Her fiery 'Battle Blush' is a threat display.  They're an extremely aggressive species, so getting through the day without maiming threehorns can be reeaaaally difficult for her.  Luckily, she has a tremendous amount of self control.

Check out her story at https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13556382/1/Because-You-re-a-Sharpneck-A-War-Before-Time-Oneshot.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:22:46 AM by The Mr E »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I love comic formats!!! :D
Well drawn!  Did you draw background by yourself?

(sigh, why all pre-historic bumper-heads are so mean and insulting?)

Woould love to see more!
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Haha this is great! I'm glad to see more comic strips sprouting up in the fanart section.

Hopefully you'll have the chance to participate in future fanart prompts! Keep it up and looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!  :chompysmile

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I love comic formats!!! :D
Well drawn!  Did you draw background by yourself?

(sigh, why all pre-historic bumper-heads are so mean and insulting?)

Woould love to see more!

Thank you!

Yes, I did draw the background myself, although I was looking at Land Before Time backgrounds for reference.

Mean as threehorns can be, they're especially prejudiced towards sharpnecks for ... reasons ...

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Haha this is great! I'm glad to see more comic strips sprouting up in the fanart section.

Hopefully you'll have the chance to participate in future fanart prompts! Keep it up and looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!  :chompysmile

Thanks so much!  I'll try.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I agree, this is great! I love her design. And as Flathead said, it's nice to see more comics around here. I'd love to see the rest of this comic if you are planning more.
:)petrie

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I'll see what I can do about continuing the story.   :Mo Thanks!

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
To the staff, I'm honoured that you'd feature this little tale in the newsletter!

I've decided to experiment with a comic dub!  It's not perfect, but I hope you guys enjoy it.  What do you think?  Should I make more in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRNL8A2aI0M

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Very well done! Your video adaptation even includes more little details in the pictures and the voice acting is a great addition to the story. The thing I like the most is the way it stops and Dagara gives us a short explanation of her situation.
I would definitely love to see more! :)

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
@Sarah Thank you so much!  Good eye, picking up the extra detail.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
SHARPNECK TALES
PAGE 2

You might have noticed that the characters have shadows and highlights in this comic, while they didn't in the first one.  To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out the style.  I'll try to adjust as I go along until it feels right.
What do you think?  Are the characters better with shadows and highlights?  Do you have any suggestions for handling the backgrounds?

If anyone's wondering why Mr. Strat looks different from the threehorns we know, that's because he's not a triceratops.  He's a regaliceratops, while Chasmo from the first comic is a chasmosaurus.  However, they're still 'threehorns'.  I just wanted to add a little variety in the types of threehorn we see in this comic.

Just to reiterate, Mr. Strat did NOT just kick a minor.  He merely pushed her ... very, very roughly ... which really isn't much better.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:19:49 PM by The Mr E »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
:D

mean threehorns are so mean...

Drawing quality, background, lines and shadows are super, for me. Great work!
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
:D

mean threehorns are so mean...

Drawing quality, background, lines and shadows are super, for me. Great work!

@Sneak yup  :rhett_ohsnap!  Dagara's threehorn issues are just getting started.

Thanks for the affirmation about the shadows, lines and background!

By the way, I just figured out what your avatar is!  It's SCP 173!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:19:03 PM by The Mr E »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
This is very well done!! You've imitated the LBT art style so nicely! And I have to say, the first thing I think of when I think "comics" is "expressive faces," which you sure didn't have any trouble putting into your work! I got a kick out of watching Dagara go from friendly and enthusiastic to just plain ticked-off, and harsh as it was, you must've had a blast making that drawing of her being shoved backwards, too! :lol Looking forward to seeing more if you continue these comics!! :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I forgot to comment on this. I love the compression going on in the last frame! The shading looks good as well. Good job and looking forward to more of them!  :)littlefoot

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
This is very well done!! You've imitated the LBT art style so nicely! And I have to say, the first thing I think of when I think "comics" is "expressive faces," which you sure didn't have any trouble putting into your work! I got a kick out of watching Dagara go from friendly and enthusiastic to just plain ticked-off, and harsh as it was, you must've had a blast making that drawing of her being shoved backwards, too! :lol Looking forward to seeing more if you continue these comics!! :)

Thanks, @RainbowFaceProtege!  I admit that the last panel was pretty fun ... even if unfortunate.  Dagara's personality is a tad difficult to pin down, even for me as her creator.  She can be Ducky-level friendly, Cera-level snarky or sharptooth-level horrifying depending on the situation.  And no, she isn't bipolar.  Her species comes from an incredibly hostile, distant land where only the toughest, most ferocious survive.  In The Land Before Time region we're familiar with, her kind doesn't quite fit into the Circle of Life.  They actually disrupt it, collapsing ecosystems if they're not careful.  It's a miracle she cultivated a friendly side at all.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I forgot to comment on this. I love the compression going on in the last frame! The shading looks good as well. Good job and looking forward to more of them!  :)littlefoot

No prob.  Thanks, @Flathead770!  I took that last frame a lot further than initially planned, but the sheer absurdity seems to do a lot for the scene.   More to come!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Excellent. I look forward to seeing what (mis)adventures Dagara will get herself into next.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Excellent. I look forward to seeing what (mis)adventures Dagara will get herself into next.

Thanks @StardustSoldier!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You're welcome. :)

Does Dagara have any family members?