The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Jurassic Park

Stegron · 22 · 2323

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
What do you think of this revolutionary blockbuster hit?  :wow

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know if it was "revolutionary" but it was a great movie.  I enjoyed the book more but the movie was still great for its own reasons, plus there were enough differences between the two that the movie really can be considered its own entity.  Well, now that I think of it, I suppose the movie did have a very profound effect on the use of CGI in motion pictures, bringing it more into the main stream and showing off what CGI can really do.  

P.S. That the image of the apatosaur standing up on its hind legs will be forever engrained in my mind.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I always loved the first movie of Jurassic.

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I love the original because of how great it was, and how they showed how Resurrection would work. Creation is an act of shear will!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think Jurassic Park was revolutionary because it was the first movie to utilize CGI animals, wasn't it? Before Jurassic Park, I don't think anyone really attempted to make realistic animals using CGI.

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
While Jurassic Park was a great movie by showing 3D Dinosaurs, i liked the stop-motion ones in the classics also because i use to make videos of those.  :DD

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I also liked how cartoon shows made Jurassic Park parodies that usually put in the name island instead of park at the end.  :confused

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
the book was 1, 000, 000, 000 times better than the movie
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Whilst I enjoyed the movie, the books (regarding both) are much better.  More well crafted and will probably be remembered as one of the all time 'classics'.

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Jurassic Park is always good, although i would like to see speilburg try and get the whole book in a movie. i think it would be good, long, but good.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Unfortunately movies adapted from books are never as good as the novels.  

Although there are some exceptions that are as good as the novels or even better than the novels they are based from.  Yet, if that is the case it depends on those who are making the movie; director, screen play, script writer, actors etc.

Stegron

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The size comparing between the Velociraptor in Jurassic Park and the one in real life is uniquely neat, it could mean the movie featured a different species of Velociraptor that was from North America.   :rolleyes  :idea

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Check out the book "Raptor Red" by Robert T. Bakker.  It's an awesome story written from the POV of a Utahraptor.  In his epilogue, he talks about visiting the JP set and looking at the dino designs while talking with the designer himself.  If I remember correctly, Bakker mentions about there being the error of the wrong raptor size being used in the film.  He said the Velociraptors were made the size of Utahraptors in the film.  Judging by name, yeah, it came from North America, specifically the Utah area ;).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Actually, the JP Raptors are smaller than Utahraptors. Here's how big a Utahraptor was compared to a human:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...imate_chart.svg

I heard the JP Raptors were more the size of Deinonychus.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are going to make another JP film..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,May 7 2009 on  12:16 AM
REALLY??? When?  :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not seen the movie or read the book, but I did check out a bit before the movie came out, audio cassettes of the book & listened to that and enjoyed it.  I think it was around 3 hours or maybe a bit longer.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There has not really been any further info on the fourth one so I don't know when it will come out.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot3897,May 10 2009 on  02:45 PM
Quote from: Nick22,May 7 2009 on  12:16 AM
REALLY??? When?  :)
It was supposed to be completed before, but the daggone Writers' Strike delayed them <_<.  With the economy as bad as it is, the completion and release of the film have probably been pushed further back.  I believe it was scheduled to be released this summer, but I have not heard anything yet.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Darkhoumann on  
I heard the JP Raptors were more the size of Deinonychus.
You are correct:

The real species called Velociraptor was much smaller (about turkey-sized) than the animals in the film and were believed to have been feathered. They were part of bipedal, bird-like predators of the family Dromaeosauridae, some of which were even larger than the "velociraptors" in the film.  
However what is important to note is that Crichton (who doesn't know much about dinosaurs) made a error at the time when he was writing the first novel and wanted to use Deinonychus as his 'evil dinosaurs' as it was classified as a subspecies of "Velociraptor."  So he used the term velociraptor as it was a much more scarier name.  

However as we know and as we can see from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deinonychus-scale.png

As to the fourth movie being released, I doubt that will happen now as (basing on what Cancerian Tiger mentioned) Crichton died in 2008 and he played a larger role in bringing the movies to life.