The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Juvenile Colorations?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Not sure if there's a topic or post about this subject, but it's an idea I've had for a loooooong time. It was sprouted by seeing many fanarts of the Gang all grown up and still having their respective colorations and questions like: "Light Green+Dark Green= Purple?" (in regards to Chomper).

Before the movies became all bright and colorful, there was a trend going on concerning the difference in coloration between children and adults. For example, many of the young threehorns were yellow while the adults were shades of grey. Ali and Littlefoot had the same colorations while the adult longnecks were shades of blue or brown (including sandy-coloring). Ducky and her siblings were green while their parents were brownish.

Is it possible that early in the franchise, the animators intended the gang's current coloration to be temporary, changing to the adult colors as they grow older? This is seen many, many times in the animal kingdom so it's not really a stretch. Perhaps if the franchise didn't go the brightly-colored path of the more recent movies and TV show, Cera would turn grey as an adult; maybe Littlefoot would turned brown/blue when he gets older; maybe Chomper will trade his baby purple colors for the adult shade of green...

What're your thoughts on this, guys?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's an interesting idea. At least a year should have passed between the end of 3 and beginning of 4, so in 4 the filmcrew could have drawn visible signs of the Gang growing up if they wanted to. But the timespan was also short enough that they didn't have to. Perhaps if Roy Allan Smith made the fifth movie and sixth movie, maybe we would see the Gang becoming visibly older. Of course, the only way to find out would be to contact the director or somebody from his team.

What we certainly know is that either the later directors interpreted the Gang's not growing in the first three sequels as the Gang being intended to be forever young, whatever Mr. Smith's original plans may have been, or that the Gang's eternal youth had been part of Universal's policy since before the first sequel was made.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I always thought that the gang's colorations were kind of a combination of juvenile color patterns and their own unique colors.  
As in, when Cera got older for instance, she would get darker like her dad but still have a tinge of that yellow/orange.  So maybe Mr. Threehorn was a very light gray when he was a hatchling?  

Starting with movie 5 I thought the gang was getting older, and definately noticed it by movie 7.  It probably would have made sense to make them look older too, but most franchises I've seen have an aversion to ageing their characters.  

I also always thought that Chomper was blue!  :p