The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sony Patents Used Game Ban Technology

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know that whole "Used Games Banned Technology for Next Gen" rumor we had last year?  Looks like Sony might actually be going along with it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...sed-Game-Market

If it's confirmed by the next E3, I'll definitely call for a boycott on all things Sony.  They've been a good company and all, but they've made some dumb choices lately. -_-

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think you'd even have to boycott that. I'm thinking sales are gonna be really low anyway after people see they can't buy any used games for their systems. I know the used game business is getting pretty big, and people's been dealing with used games in pawn shops and stuff since the nes era, as a way to still play a lot of games when they don't have as much money.

I mean, this seems pretty asinine. Don't they know there's a lot of people that never buy new games, because of the 60 bucks or more price tag? What are they gonna do when you tell them they can't get used games, and have to pay through they're nose for games? They're gonna say "Screw you" and get some other system.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've never purchased a new game in my life.  Well, I guess Sony isn't gonna get a penny of my money for their console either.  Smart move Sony.  You've reduced the small amount of money you get from me to absolutely none.  Yup.  Like I said, smart. :rolleyes:

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm saying, any company that pulls this is gonna eat away their market share. Trying to "Fight the system" I guess you could call it, will be really hard in a free market environment. Anyone that does this will leave their selves wide open to lose market share to anyone that doesn't do this.

Even IF all of the console manufacturers decided together to not allow playing used games on their consoles, they could still get steamrolled by an upstart that manages to cater to all of the used game players that the original company's abandoned.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If folks do rise up and boycott protesting by other means it can force companies to change their policy.  Also as mentioned before if several companies did try to ban old games from their systems others could get more buyers by advertising theirs can play old or used games.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Microsoft patented something similar with the Kinect. Something to do with the Kinect sensor.
Also, it seems that a lot of it is up to the developer to add the limitations. It is capable of it, but that does not mean it will be implemented in the game disc itself.
http://gamerant.com/sony-patent-block-used-games/ A blueprint of how it could work. S14 says "Limitation is set on the reproduction device?" with N (no) having an arrow going down to S24 "Game start processing." I gather from this that Sony is simply kissing the ass of developers who have been complaining about the used game market hurting sales of their games.
Found an article about the Kinect patent. This is worse than I had remembered. Content provider being able to see its audience? :unsure:
My point is, Sony may implement the technology in their console, but that's only a part of it. The rest lies on the developer, whether or not they will put it on the game disc.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah well that is Sony for you. They're a very dumb company. They lost two billion dollars when they made the Playstation3 becausde they shoved a blu-ray player in there that there was no point to. So I've never bought a sony product since because there products suck very much. I hate song and I will also boycott them. I've done that sine 1997 actually.