The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Members Meeting the Characters

Amaranthine · 1129 · 82583

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, after disappearing from this RP for the 2nd time without so much as a 'Farewell' I figured I should probably come back. Besides, I've missed this RP.

So what events have taken place since I posted last?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I probably should have posted a notification like this earlier (I forget that not everyone visitsóor has access toóthe "After Midnight" section), but up until at least Saturday, I may not have the time to post in this RP, its discussion thread, or most other threads on the GOF. The full details can be read here; the long story short is that I am attending an intensive scientific workshop at a national park in Arizona with a schedule that runs from 7 AM to almost midnight, with only short breaks for meals and stretching our legs between otherwise back-to-back lectures and field trips. I've been keeping an eye on the GOF, but I'd really like to be able to enjoy this experience to the fullest, using the break time to enjoy the local wildlife and spectacular scenery. I am leaving the RP running since I am seeing members who have been gone a while beginning to post again, but I am afraid some of you may need to wait until the end of the week (possibly even longer) for me to answer your queries. I apologize for this, and hope you understand.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I suppose this also means that Sierra and Rinkus are free for the taking. I do seem to recall one or two other players wanting to do something with them… (I’m looking at you, Sparky. )

:!

.....................................................................................................................

MineminemineminemineminemineMINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^So...is it safe to say you want to take Sierra, Rinkus or both? :P:

brittanytangle13

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://unfortantly i don't have one (i might try!)
aw rats!  :bang  rat_lady im so sorry i didn't responed back so soon.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
^So...is it safe to say you want to take Sierra, Rinkus or both?

I feel I can do Sierra better than Rinkus, so I can take just Sierra. Plus, given that those two interact a lot with each other, I don't wanna end up talking to myself most of the time! :D

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'll keep the characters I'm doing under my name.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
BTW, if no one is going to take Rinkus, I'll take him. I love playing manipulative characters and he could do the trick without him being too overbearing or a "big bad" like Red Claw.

I also remember wanting Hyp to go outside the Great Valley with everyone that is going to Big Water, so I guess I'll just assume he's with that group right now? I don't want to post him there yet

Edit: Adding another question

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I would like to keep my characters as well. Actually now that I think about it... I might have to go back to the first page and see who exactly I'm RPing as. ^^;

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
UGH, I can’t believe me! :bang I have been in such a rut lately! :( I am so, so, so, so sorry for not attending to this thread weeks ago! :oops :slap

Let me see…I’ll try to address everyone who’s posted updates or queries in the last couple months:

brittanytangle13: Are you still interested in playing? If so:
ï  What characters (if any besides yourself) would you like to play in the RP?
ï  Are you clear about the rules of the RP and what it’s basically about?
ï  Did you have anything particular in mind as far as what you want to do with your character(s) and who you want to interact with?
We want new players to be aware of where everyone's characters are so that they don't have their character(s) start off in the Great Valley and then take a short walk over to talk to a group of characters who are supposed to be miles away, for instance. On that noteóand this is probably a stupid questionódo you need an explanation of where everyone’s characters are at the moment?

Belmont2500: Incredibly enough, there hasn't been any activity in the Great Valley to speak of since your last post, though a few hours may have passed. By the way, just out of curiosity, why did you decide to "reboot" your character? Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but you needn’t feel like you should start over with your character just because other a few other players are doing something similar.

Rat_lady7: Sure, you can take Rinkus. :) And as far as Hyp goes, would you be okay with the idea that he followed the Big Water group without being officially "invited"? Basically he would show up and the group realizes he's been following them since they left the valley, but they have no choice but to let him come along. Hyp hasn't been an active character in the RP for a long time, so I think if he's going to suddenly appear in the Big Water subplot, then he deserves a proper introduction.

Blitz and The Great Valley Guardian: Whoa, I didn't know you two were still interested in this RP! :o That’s good news!

One more important thing: I’ve created a new thread to serve as a list of current RP participants and the characters they’re playing. It’s still a work in progress (I may add the RP rules there as well), especially since some players have made changes to their character rosters that I haven’t been very good at keeping track of. :oops If each of you could find the time to take a look at your entry on the list, and tell me if I have something wrong or if there are any other changes I should make, it would be much appreciated. :)

Also, I think it would be less confusing for everyone if we kept all of our RP discussions on one thread*, so if you don’t mind, please don’t post in the character list thread. Thank you!

* If anyone else thinks otherwise, please do give me your input.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, I've really not been here for a long time.

I definitely want to try and get back into this, but I'll definitely need some help.

As of now, I don't feel I can really be consistent enough to control four characters, so I'm going to allow somebody else to take Mr. Threehorn and Littlefoot. Rob and Zaine I will continue using.

I'm going to have to do a lot of reading to catch up on everything here.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
After a while of absence, I'm back! Can't exactly say how long that'll last, though.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, I suck. I say I want to get back into RP, be more active here and I inconveniently just disappear without a further notice. Let's see if I can remedy this period of inactivity.

Rat_lady7: Sure, you can take Rinkus.  And as far as Hyp goes, would you be okay with the idea that he followed the Big Water group without being officially "invited"? Basically he would show up and the group realizes he's been following them since they left the valley, but they have no choice but to let him come along. Hyp hasn't been an active character in the RP for a long time, so I think if he's going to suddenly appear in the Big Water subplot, then he deserves a proper introduction.

Yay!

That was pretty much my thought process about him. I would eventually wanted him to be figured out, but just momentarily spy on them. Heh.

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Is this groove train still a rollin? If it is, that's cool as I will be around shortly.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just want to say that I *finally* made a post. And just so I am clear with what's going on right now:

*Red Claw's sanity is deteriorating, so Screech and Claw go and leave him.
*The Big Water Group is taking Ozzy and Strut out of the valley elsewhere and also want to explore the Ocean. Hyp tags along unnoticed, but is noticed later on.
*Some characters have changed species, such as my character.
*Are we still playing this game like we are still in 2009?

If there's anything else I am missing, please tell me, because I really am lost on what is going on in this rp at the moment.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*enters thread, shuffles awkwardly* :unsure:

Wow…I had no idea anyone still had any interest in this RP.

Honestly, I’d thought that the “In The Land Before Time” RP was done for, seeing as it’s basically been at a standstill since last summer. Not only were there not many people posting, but several of the key players were only present on the GOF for short, random intervals that seldom coincided with one another. In other words, we never had all of our actors onstage at the same time, so the show couldn’t go on. Namely, we needed Redtooth101 around to have his Spinosaurus character attack the Big Water Group, and much of the Great Valley subplot revolved around LBTFan13’s characters. Even
FlipperBoidSkua (one of the major participants in the Big Water subplot) fell off the map for several months. I’ve recently been able to communicate with her again, but I don’t know yet if she’s coming back.

Of course, I’m sure I’m at fault for not being active enough myself (and am appropriately ashamed of it :oops). Honestly a big part of my recent absence from the GOF has been due to my guilt for all of the members I feel I’ve let down. Since the RP was virtually inactive and it appeared I was unneeded on the GOF, I had no reason to come back. :neutral As always, for what it’s worth, I’m very, very, very sorry. :(

I just couldn’t bring myself to actually close the RP (and a good thing too, if people are still interested in it); I don’t like burning my bridges when I leave them behind. I guess I’m still willing to continue this RP, though I cannot promise that I will post with any degree of frequency. However, I am tracking this topic (along with the thread for the RP itself), so I’ll get an e-mail every time someone posts. I’ll be watching this RP, even if you can’t see me. ;)

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Mar 30 2014 on  07:07 PM
I just want to say that I *finally* made a post. And just so I am clear with what's going on right now:

*Red Claw's sanity is deteriorating, so Screech and Claw go and leave him.
Screech and Thud haven't abandoned Red Claw just yet, but his latest orders have got them thinking about it. At the moment they are at the edge of the Great Valley, waiting until nightfall to sneak in and locate the sleeping places of the dinosaurs who survived the previous night's battle with Red Claw. Their presence will eventually be suspected by the valley residents, and the plan was that LBTFan13’s character (Rob the fast biter) would volunteer to find and “join” them, pretending he was a regular fast biter so that he could find out what Screech, Thud, and Red Claw are up to.

*The Big Water Group is taking Ozzy and Strut out of the valley elsewhere and also want to explore the Ocean. Hyp tags along unnoticed, but is noticed later on.
*Some characters have changed species, such as my character.
Right, and right. :yes (Though feel free to change your character back to their original species, if you prefer.)

*Are we still playing this game like we are still in 2009?
I think that should be up to each player's personal preference. The LBT world in this RP is completely independent of our world; we have members who "left" the real world in 2009 and in 2012, and "arrived" in the LBT world within two or three days of each other. I don't think we should be too concerned about keeping the real-world timeline consistent. Personally, I play as if the life my RP character left in the human world is the same life I’m living right now. In other words, in the summer of 2010 I played as if it were the summer of 2010, in the fall of 2011 I played as if it were the fall of 2011, and so on.

If there's anything else I am missing, please tell me, because I really am lost on what is going on in this rp at the moment.
Duhhhhhhhh… *spends several seconds staring blankly into space* My memory has rusted up somewhat in all the time I’ve been gone, but I can’t think of anything else at the moment.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Btw, I'm using color coded font since everything would look like it was all one big quote.

*enters thread, shuffles awkwardly* :unsure: Wow…I had no idea anyone still had any interest in this RP.

Well, I'm definitely still interested if anyone wants to still continue this. If not, that's fine, I have a few suggestions that might work to everyone's advantage here.

Honestly, I’d thought that the “In The Land Before Time” RP was done for, seeing as it’s basically been at a standstill since last summer. Not only were there not many people posting, but several of the key players were only present on the GOF for short, random intervals that seldom coincided with one another. In other words, we never had all of our actors onstage at the same time, so the show couldn’t go on.

Yeah, that what it seemed like. A lot of people were waiting on others, but the ones that needed to respond didn't, so it made this rp stagnant.

Namely, we needed Redtooth101 around to have his Spinosaurus character attack the Big Water Group, and much of the Great Valley subplot revolved around LBTFan’s characters.

Redtooth101 played Pterano too didn't he? And from I remember you played me and Pterano for a bit when I decided to up and leave the GOF for awhile, having us go in the Mysterious Beyond. I don't know if Redtooth was followed up on that one, or he just did his own thing with him. And you mean Rob/LBTfan13 when you say that right? Yeah, I haven't seen him around at all.

Even FlipperBoidSkua (one of the major participants in the Big Water subplot) fell off the map for several months. I’ve recently been able to communicate with her again, but I don’t know yet if she’s coming back.

Yeah, I haven't seen her around either. Neither here or on any other sites. I know she was working for the Navy or something right? That might explain her inactivity on the internet all together.

Of course, I’m sure I’m at fault for not being active enough myself (and am appropriately ashamed of it :oops). Honestly a big part of my recent absence from the GOF has been due to my guilt for all of the members I feel I’ve let down. Since the RP was virtually inactive and it appeared I was unneeded on the GOF, I had no reason to come back. :neutral As always, for what it’s worth, I’m very, very, very sorry. :(

I already said it in our Skype conversation, but I'll just repeat it here too.

You really don't owe anyone here an explanation or anything for your lack of activity or response. RP and anything GOF related is supposed to be fun, not like work obligations. And I'll take part of the blame as well. I said I would post and be active on here when I didn't follow up that promise. So I'm partly at fault here too.

I just couldn’t bring myself to actually close the RP (and a good thing too, if people are still interested in it); I don’t like burning my bridges when I leave them behind. I guess I’m still willing to continue this RP, though I cannot promise that I will post with any degree of frequency. However, I am tracking this topic (along with the thread for the RP itself), so I’ll get an e-mail every time someone posts. I’ll be watching this RP, even if you can’t see me. ;)

Again, I definitely want to finish this rp and continue with you guys if people are still interested, but it not, I wonder if it would be a good idea to close this topic and start anew. Not necessarily have the same plot/format as before, but tweak things around to make it a little different/more structured if we need it. I've had one member say they left the RP because it got too confusing where everyone was and how it was going. And I can see their point. If I didn't have the history of this RP and people like you Pangaea to back up the history on this, I'd be lost.

Some suggestions I thought of were:

*I think the muncesting (players playing the characters among and with themselves) should be taken down a notch. From my experience in rp, while muncest can happen and still will happen depending on the circumstances of the characters, it really isn't all that fun (and very predictable) if you rp one character and then another major character. It makes it seem like you just want a certain result to go your way. I'll take me for an example.
Now, I love Pterano, and when I was going through my obsessive Pterano faze, I would have wanted to ship myself or something with him, and if I had rped him, I could make sure that would be exactly what happened. But it wouldn't be any fun for anyone else that wanted to rp with Pterano or my character if I just mostly focused on that. This is pretty much why I declined taking Pterano as a character before.

*Changing species I think can get a little confusing for other players to keep track and should only happen when it's absolutely necessary. (Like maybe a character faces something, goes through a change and the player can choose to change the species.) Or something like that. Especially if people seem to just be changing species back and forth without warning. It just gets confusing and people end up wondering who is who.

*I wonder if there should be some predestined fate thing for our characters. Not really a prophecy. Like we put ourselves, ocs, etc through certain situations in order to have them grow (hence why I think it would be a good idea to only change species if it's earned or needed). Again, I'll use my character as an example.
The thing my character seems to have the most trouble with is authenticity, knowing when to give certain information, letting people in, and when to hold back information when it's necessary. She's had some issues in the past that has made her reluctant to expose *exactly* how she feels. She tries to be honest, but sometimes her pride and anxiety can get the best of her. So in a way, I demoted my character to a more realistic species to her personality. A flyer would just be too easy of a choice, that's what she would want, but that's not necessarily what she is. ;)

*Limit the amount of ocs and characters people play. Again, this mostly is under the whole muncest thing, we really should only play the characters we can handle. And while I would love to put an oc in this rp or any really (I have one in the works I'm REALLY excited about putting out there) I want to be sure that I would have as limited contact with them as possible. And this of course would depend on how many people are actually playing the game.

Screech and Thud haven't abandoned Red Claw just yet, but his latest orders have got them thinking about it. At the moment they are at the edge of the Great Valley, waiting until nightfall to sneak in and locate the sleeping places of the dinosaurs who survived the previous night's battle with Red Claw. Their presence will eventually be suspected by the valley residents, and the plan was that LBTFan13’s character (Rob the fast biter) would volunteer to find and “join” them, pretending he was a regular fast biter so that he could find out what Screech, Thud, and Red Claw are up to.

I see. Yeah, I haven't seen Rob around for awhile.

Right, and right. :yes (Though feel free to change your character back to their original species, if you prefer.)

I think that should be up to each player's personal preference. The LBT world in this RP is completely independent of our world; we have members who "left" the real world in 2009 and in 2012, and "arrived" in the LBT world within two or three days of each other. I don't think we should be too concerned about keeping the real-world timeline consistent. Personally, I play as if the life my RP character left in the human world is the same life I’m living right now. In other words, in the summer of 2010 I played as if it were the summer of 2010, in the fall of 2011 I played as if it were the fall of 2011, and so on.

There is idea on one game I played on a journal site. What would happen is when a character comes in the game, they would progress, age, and whatever during the game, but if they went home, they would just go back to the time they entered the game and watch themselves make the usual choices outside the game like they're watching their life like a movie.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but I think that would be an interesting way to portray our characters and just have them have deja vu moments where they go, "Wow, I really made those choices, when I could have done this instead." That's how I'm going to play my self insert anyway.

Duhhhhhhhh… *spends several seconds staring blankly into space* My memory has rusted up somewhat in all the time I’ve been gone, but I can’t think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks, seriously, you've been an amazing help organizing this game and letting people know what's what.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good day, just wondering if I can join back in because I've missed doing this RP with you all.  :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^You'll need to take it up with Pangaea, but I don't really see a reason why you can't join in.

At the risk of repeating myself or anyone else, the problem is this rp has remained inactive for some time. Some key players seemed to have just fell off the face of the GOF and the rest of us were waiting for their responses. So you can join back in, just don't expect too much activity right away.