The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FBS's New Art Stuffs

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't remember if I've said this before, but I like how you write a bit of backstory to go with your pictures.  :)

And some additional advice about keeping the whole character on a page:
What I usually do is make 'thumbnail' drawings of the characters to try and figure out how well they work together.  These drawings are very small and undetailed, but they help me a lot when planning a drawing. I pick the best thumbnail and sketch it out lightly on whatever size paper I want, and then I clean it up and put in the details.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I’ve taken my time in writing this review, but just the same I’m going to reenact how I reacted when I first saw this picture: :p

Me: :o “WHOA!” *between chuckles* “Whoa… Oh my gosh… Oh…my…gosh…” :lol “I believe that’s what TV Tropes calls a ëCrowning Moment of Awesome’.”

As with the last image, I felt a bit remorseful about my initial impressions after reading the story excerpt and realizing the fairly dark context of the scene, particularly in regard to the sharptooth flyer being killed by Tero’s attack. I feel sorry for it, too. :( It’s still a pretty epic picture, though, and once again you’ve really managed to convey a sense of action.

The anatomy of all three characters is extremely good. Tero is virtually perfect (his hind legs might be a tiny, tiny bit small in proportion to the rest of his body, but it’s almost unnoticeable). You really have these character designs down pat, seeing as you can draw them this well without any reference whatsoever.) In some of your pictures, Tero’s tail comes off looking a bit short, but here it looks like the perfect length to me. And whenever I look at this picture, my eyes seem to instantly gravitate to Tero’s head; I can’t get over how well you drew his head and facial expression. Even when you draw closed eyes, they look fantastic! :smile

I have to commend you on how good Teryx looks in this picture, even though we’re mostly seeing just his back. I think you did an exceptional job drawing his wings and tail here, specifically the feathers. I know you have trouble drawing feathers, and I’ll admit that in several of your pictures, Teryx’s wings are a little awkward-looking (in some cases there are only a couple of feathers on each wing, or all the feathers appear to be of equal length). Not so in this picture, and I thought that deserved some praise. :yes

Even the sharptooth flyer (who to me looks most like a LBT Cearadactylus :p) is pretty impressively drawn, especially given his unusual position and the angle we’re seeing him from. His fate in this scene notwithstanding, I love his expression (that eye is just fantastic :lol), and you did a good job giving his right wing that “windsock effect” to show that he’s being pushed through the air by Tero. I’m also impressed at how many teeth you managed to fit in his mouth. And although you can’t see much of it, I think you did really well drawing his hind leg at this angle.

The only real nitpicks I can find with this picture are that Tero’s thumbs should be outside his clenched fists (otherwise he’ll risk breaking his thumbs when he punches someone :p), the flyer’s lower jaw ought to be pointer, and the flyer’s hand looks a tad angular. Part of this last issue is that the claws (the white part) cover too much of the fingers, appearing to grow directly from the finger joints rather than the tips).

Oh, and I also think you did a great job with the dust cloud. I love the swirliness of it. :D

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Wow!! You have an uncanny sense of timing!! I just finished two drawings today and was gonna wait for ya! :DD I'll post 'em after my response, but don't feel like you have to hurry; take as long as you need for your review! :)

Me: “WHOA!” *between chuckles* “Whoa… Oh my gosh… Oh…my…gosh…” “I believe that’s what TV Tropes calls a ëCrowning Moment of Awesome’.”

Awwwwwww!! I'm so very GLAD that you had such an awesome reaction!! You even added a TV Trope to it!! Squeeeeeee!! It's always fun reading your enthusiastic first reactions!! And thinking back on what you said about you having a hard-time expressing your emotions on keyboards, I think you do a wonderful job sharing your excitement!!

As with the last image, I felt a bit remorseful about my initial impressions after reading the story excerpt and realizing the fairly dark context of the scene, particularly in regard to the sharptooth flyer being killed by Tero’s attack. I feel sorry for it, too.

Yeah, the poor poor Flyer. I've actually been thinking about him a lot during work today, mostly alternate versions of his fate. Yeah, I felt that bad....for a character I intentionally made just to kill off...It's strange how that works. :unsure:

Anywho, I honestly just can't see how he would've survived being crushed into the ground, being a fragile Flyer and all. I mean, Teryx gets rammed all the time, but he survives because Tero holds back. That isn't going to be the case here... And even if the little sharptooth did live, Tero would 'put it out of its misery', so unless the Flyer knows how to speak Leaf-Eater (Tero's extremely reluctant to actually kill something that can talk, even if that thing's a sharptooth....Another difference between him and the Domehead Trio), his fate is sealed either way.

WARNING: Useless prattle lies ahead; skip to the next quote if you don't care about the Sharptooth Flyer or an alternative idea I have for it! :)

In my daydreams earlier today, I imagined what would happen if a 'talking-sharptooth' scenario really did happen at the end of this scene. The Flyer is of course broken, but somehow manages to stay alive. Tero's about to end its suffering when the Flyer hastily tries to recall what few Leaf Eater words it knew (Remember my theory on Flyer language and them having to learn how to speak Leaf-Eater or sharptooth? Yeah :D ). The little sharptooth manages to choke out a highly-fragmented plea for life, basically telling Tero as best it could how sorry it was and how it was only trying to get food cuz its practically starving to death. Tero (after getting over some initial surprise) doesn't seem to buy it, but he spares the 'talking' Flyer, leaving it to whatever fate may happen.

Then, some time later, Tero's scouting alone when he's ambushed by a pack of Fast Biters. Of course, he starts kicking butt and taking names, but he's outnumbered and seems about to fall prey to the pack. Suddenly, the Flyer reappears and rescues him, feeling like it owes him its life. It ends up losing that life, but now Tero has a new respect for sharpteeth because of that little Flyer's actions, so its sacrifice was not in vain!

Sorry for boring you guys with a version that doesn't at all affect the picture and its official scene, but I did warn ya to skip ahead, no? :lol

The anatomy of all three characters is extremely good. Tero is virtually perfect (his hind legs might be a tiny, tiny bit small in proportion to the rest of his body, but it’s almost unnoticeable). You really have these character designs down pat, seeing as you can draw them this well without any reference whatsoever.) In some of your pictures, Tero’s tail comes off looking a bit short, but here it looks like the perfect length to me. And whenever I look at this picture, my eyes seem to instantly gravitate to Tero’s head; I can’t get over how well you drew his head and facial expression. Even when you draw closed eyes, they look fantastic!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I'm close to perfect!! My practice has not been in vain (although let's see how long it lasts :p )!!! Maybe I can start making practice copies for my Domehead AMV. Or perhaps, I should make a few more Tero pictures first or maybe even start practicing the Domehead Trio themselves. EEEEEEE!! I can hardly think straight and I have no idea if my sentences are even making sense! WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I have to commend you on how good Teryx looks in this picture, even though we’re mostly seeing just his back. I think you did an exceptional job drawing his wings and tail here, specifically the feathers. I know you have trouble drawing feathers, and I’ll admit that in several of your pictures, Teryx’s wings are a little awkward-looking (in some cases there are only a couple of feathers on each wing, or all the feathers appear to be of equal length). Not so in this picture, and I thought that deserved some praise.

Yeah!! I've made the ideal wing-design-thingy for Teryx!! *spazzes out* Anyways, I agree with ya! My previous pics have awkward feathers either in a rough Guido-esque resting position (and even that is poorly done) or at an angle I thought would only reveal a few feathers. I'm trying to add more open wing pics of Teryx as I actually like how Teryx looks with his wings spread.

Even the sharptooth flyer (who to me looks most like a LBT Cearadactylus ) is pretty impressively drawn, especially given his unusual position and the angle we’re seeing him from. His fate in this scene notwithstanding, I love his expression (that eye is just fantastic ), and you did a good job giving his right wing that “windsock effect” to show that he’s being pushed through the air by Tero. I’m also impressed at how many teeth you managed to fit in his mouth. And although you can’t see much of it, I think you did really well drawing his hind leg at this angle.

He does look like a LBT Cearadactylus!! I think I did it slightly on purpose; the only real physical difference between this Flyer and Sierra is the former has a LOT of extra sharp, visible teeth....and possibly a pale underbelly, not that it matter in this picture! Anyway, the teeth was definitely fun to draw! Originally, the Flyer was to look similar to the predatory one in LBT 5, but I couldn't remember what the Flyer looked like as it wasn't important enough for me to obsessively engrave its appearance in my head! :p And wow, it's actually been a while since I last drew a LBT-style Flyer. I'm surprised I still got it! :D

The only real nitpicks I can find with this picture are that Tero’s thumbs should be outside his clenched fists (otherwise he’ll risk breaking his thumbs when he punches someone ), the flyer’s lower jaw ought to be pointer, and the flyer’s hand looks a tad angular. Part of this last issue is that the claws (the white part) cover too much of the fingers, appearing to grow directly from the finger joints rather than the tips).

Well, his fists isn't really being used to punch someone, is it :p  :lol ? But yeah, I agree as I remember having a hard time drawing that part (fists and crossed arms are not my friends). In the end, I just stared at my own fist, and my fist naturally take up the thumb-under position :smile And looking at the Flyer, I can certainly see what you're talking about. I dunno what I was thinking of when I did the lower jaw, as I should've known better given how many times I had previously drawn Flyers. And the hand was actually drawn half-heartedly and under pure instinct/force of habit!  :lol Plus, I think my subconscious wanted to emphasize this Flyer's sharptooth-ness and so made the claws take up too much of the hand.

Oh, and I also think you did a great job with the dust cloud. I love the swirliness of it.

And Oooooooo!!! You noticed the swirly dust cloud!! Yayz!!! *dances like a dork*

And my next two pics. I almost forgot actually :p

The story for this one's kinda weird. I received a message from some random person asking me to draw Redclaw in the old LBT style (ya know, the style used in LBT 1-6). At first, I was sooooo confused by this. The old and new styles were a bit different, yes, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference when drawing Redclaw. Well, let's take a look:

Surprisingly, Redclaw does look a bit more worthy of his 'biggest and meanest sharptooth' title when drawn like this! :o At least to me anyway. I can see why that random person wanted to see it done, so let's give some props to him/her/it! :lol

Eh, I don't like how I did the right foot, but I think overall, it's pretty good. I believe this is the first time I drew Redclaw, although I did have some experience drawing the original Sharptooth.

Hehe, now everytime I write any fanfic including Redclaw, this is how I'll envision him! :yes

Okay, second pic and we're back to my OCs. :D

Eh, technically I should call it a doodle as I didn't put too much work into it and I can see a TON of mistakes because of it. But that aside, I had fun! It was originally starting out as a basic plan of an electrocuted Teryx (which is surprisingly hard to draw and I'm struggling a bit at the moment, but it will eventually be submitted!), but then it evolved into this when I began thinking of that earlier convo of angry Archaeopteryx I had with Pangy.

Basically, whenever Teryx feels threatened by something, he carries out three steps to drive the threat away. First: a shrieking display of flared feathers to make himself look bigger and more menacing. If that doesn't work, he'll actually start circling ya like a friggin' Fast Biter, looking for an ideal attack angle whilst growling savagely. If ya still didn't get the message of his intentions, Teryx will be more than happy to demonstrate and he lunges for your face (or throat, depending on just how pissed he is) with a bloodcurdling screech to claw your eyes out.

The first stage was inspired by my knowledge of how certain modern birds display when under threat and I can always see Teryx taking up the position. I think I did pretty okay; not great, but okay. The next, I made his snout a bit too short, but he looked so adorable because of it that I couldn't correct it! :lol I also used it as an opportunity to try out a new resting design for the wings; hopefully it looks better this way than the more limp design from earlier pics. The third is the one most fraught with errors (I especially don't like his wings or legs), but I think it still get's the point across.

Pretty frightening for a critter who's real-life counterpart is no bigger than a chicken! :D

Enjoy!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 28 2012 on  10:35 PM
In my daydreams earlier today, I imagined what would happen if a 'talking-sharptooth' scenario really did happen at the end of this scene. The Flyer is of course broken, but somehow manages to stay alive. Tero's about to end its suffering when the Flyer hastily tries to recall what few Leaf Eater words it knew (Remember my theory on Flyer language and them having to learn how to speak Leaf-Eater or sharptooth? Yeah ). The little sharptooth manages to choke out a highly-fragmented plea for life, basically telling Tero as best it could how sorry it was and how it was only trying to get food cuz its practically starving to death. Tero (after getting over some initial surprise) doesn't seem to buy it, but he spares the 'talking' Flyer, leaving it to whatever fate may happen.

Then, some time later, Tero's scouting alone when he's ambushed by a pack of Fast Biters. Of course, he starts kicking butt and taking names, but he's outnumbered and seems about to fall prey to the pack. Suddenly, the Flyer reappears and rescues him, feeling like it owes him its life. It ends up losing that life, but now Tero has a new respect for sharpteeth because of that little Flyer's actions, so its sacrifice was not in vain!
Hmm…on one hand, I think the whole scenario of Tero saving Teryx's life is more poignant without the distraction (apologies for the negative-sounding word) of the flyer speaking to Tero and convincing him to spare its life, but on the other hand I do like the idea of Tero getting some character development out of it in the end…I can't decide! :wacko

Well, his fists isn't really being used to punch someone, is it ? But yeah, I agree as I remember having a hard time drawing that part (fists and crossed arms are not my friends). In the end, I just stared at my own fist, and my fist naturally take up the thumb-under position :smile
I just figure that even if Tero’s not punching someone right now, he would tend to clench his fists in the same way he did when he did use them for punching. Granted, punching’s probably not one of his chief means of attack, but LBT domeheads seem to clench their fists a lot during threat displays, and with those claws of theirs I’m pretty sure they would learn quickly that it’s much safer to make a fist with your thumb outside. :p

Surprisingly, Redclaw does look a bit more worthy of his 'biggest and meanest sharptooth' title when drawn like this! At least to me anyway. I can see why that random person wanted to see it done, so let's give some props to him/her/it!
You’re right; he does look more menacing this way. Part of it might be that the more detailed style gives him a slightly more grotesque (and thus creepier) appearance, but personally I think another reason is that he doesn’t look as tubby; if you look at him in the TV series, Red Claw’s body has almost Chomper-like proportions that made him look a bit more “cuddly”. (Just don’t tell Red Claw I said any of that :p).

The main issue with this picture that I can see is with his upper jaw: the top of his snout is slightly convex, but more importantly, the way his upper lip is arched gives his entire upper jaw a slightly hooked appearance. Other than that, there should probably be four teeth between the two big fangs in the front of his top jaw, and perhaps there could be more teeth in his mouth overall, and they could be slightly bigger. (I’m so sorry…:oops I know teeth can be really hard to draw, and fitting an accurate number of them in a mouth with the correct proportions is tougher still.)

Great job with the scar. I love how it “jumps” over the wrinkles and folds in his skin; makes it look more realistic. Speaking of which, you did an awesome job drawing all those wrinkles on his neck and throat and over all the rest of his body, for that matter. His feet actually look a little odd with their lack of wrinkliness, though as I recall they were one of the smoothest parts of Sharptooth’s body in the first movie. I can see what you’re talking about in regards to the right foot, but I think the only real problem is that the ankle is bent too sharply, so it’s not on the same level as his left foot; other than that it looks good to me. :yes I particularly admire how you drew only the end of the middle toe visible behind his inner toe; usually when I draw three-toed feet from the side, I draw the middle toe visible along the entire top of its length. Unfortunately this results in many of my dinosaurs looking like they have ostrich feet (one huge toe with a smaller toe next to it). The way you drew Red Claw’s foot here looks much more realistic. (See, you just [inadvertently] gave me a drawing tip! Giving feedback is mutually beneficial! :D) Finally, although it’s subtle, I think you did a really good job drawing the ridge along his back. It’s hard to describe how in more detailed terms; it just looks very accurate. :yes

Hehe, now everytime I write any fanfic including Redclaw, this is how I'll envision him! :yes
You know, minus the functioning eyes, I think this is how I’m going to be envisioning Red Claw in the RP from now on, too!

Awwwwwww!! I'm so very GLAD that you had such an awesome reaction!! You even added a TV Trope to it!! Squeeeeeee!! It's always fun reading your enthusiastic first reactions!! And thinking back on what you said about you having a hard-time expressing your emotions on keyboards, I think you do a wonderful job sharing your excitement!!
Since you enjoy hearing my reactions so much, here’s what I said (well, muttered under my breath) when I first saw the Teryx picture:

“Oh, wow!” (the “oh” being more a surprised exhalation that happened to have a slight vowel sound, and the “wow” being two syllables, with a slight pause inbetween the two words :p)

Even I’m surprised I’m saying this, but Teryx looks bad@$$! I adore the first picture; it looks so realistic! His pose looks exactly like a real bird’s threat display. (Was there any particular kind of bird you were thinking of when you drew this?) The added snarl and bared teeth make him look even more threatening (or like he really hates being made to do the Chicken Dance :p). Even his tail feathers look as if they’re outspread to make him look bigger. Everything elseóthe hands, the feet, the differing angles of the legs, the crouched stance, the bristled crestólooks terrific. :smile Maybe the front toes on his left foot look a little small compared to the back toe, but honestly I can’t find much wrong with this picture.

Honestly I think the wing feathers on Teryx #2 look even better than #1’s. His expression is also great (even with the snout that I agree looks a bit shortóbut still good! :smile), though somehow I’m only noticing now that his eyes are the exact same shade of yellow as his snout, and it looks a little odd. His posture is rather uprightónot that it looks bad, but somehow I imagine his “circling” posture being more hunched, maybe with his wings lifted up to maintain his illusion of looking bigger than he really is. His legs and feet don’t look as good as in the other two pictures (though you get points from me for attempting to draw curled toes on his lifted right foot, rather than leaving the toes straight), but his crest and tail feathers once again look very good. :yes

Teryx #3 is frightening! :blink: Nice work drawing a frontal view (I have a really hard time drawing dinosaurs from that angle); you definitely succeeded in making him look threatening. I like the impression of depth you get, with his face and hand claws seemingly closest to you, and the rest of his body appearing progressively farther away. His face (though much wider than a real Archaeopteryx’s) is excellently done; I find myself particularly drawn to the arched tongue and the crest feathers, especially the front one that’s curling slightly to one side. Parts of his right hand look a little odd, but his left hand is terrific. His legs and feet look fantastic as well, though one error I saw (which you may have noticed already) is that the first toe on his left foot is angled forwards like a dewclaw, rather than pointing backwards as it usually does. Another potential issue is that, although you did a great job drawing his wings from the front, I don’t think the viewer should be able to see the red coverts on top of his wings and the undersides of his blue feathers below his wings at the same time; the blue feathers would have to be very strongly curved downwards for that to be possible.

One more general comment on Teryx…which I can’t believe I didn’t think to mention before… Realistically, in order to be properly aerodynamic, Teryx ought to have symmetrical tail feathers. Unfortunately, the way you draw him now, there’s a good chance that he would have the same flying problems as Toothless in How To Train Your Dragon after he lost one of his tail fins, uncontrollably pitching or swerving in flight due to an unbalanced stabilizer. (Apparently there are some modern birds that can lose their tail feathers entirely during molting and still fly because they can compensate with their wings, but I don’t know if this was possible for Archaeopteryx given the length of its tail…though I’m no aeronautics expert.) Hmm…perhaps you could explain the asymmetrical, hand-like feather pattern as a result of Tero yanking out his tail feathers? :p

It was originally starting out as a basic plan of an electrocuted Teryx (which is surprisingly hard to draw and I'm struggling a bit at the moment, but it will eventually be submitted!)
Try drawing Teryx’s body as a big ball of little “soft-tipped” spikes, only vaguely following his body contours, if at all. Do the same with his tail, but maybe draw the sticking-out feathers gradually larger the closer you get to his big tail feathers. His arms should have the electrically-spiked feathers as well, whereas his flight feathers and coverts could perhaps look ruffled and out of place somehow (it might not work, but just thought I’d throw the idea out there). His crest, of course, should be sticking up straight like a mohawk, and maybe for added effect you could draw wisps of pale smoke coming off of him :lol (the smoke would probably look best without outlines, like the dust cloud in your earlier picture).

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
WOW!!! Redclaw looks fantastic!! seriously, MUCH much more menacing than he looks in the cartoons. He looks so much sleeker and swift, and terrifying!!
AWESOME!!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Just looked through your thread- awesome! So much energy, and so many great concepts and expressions! Good stuff, keep it up :smile
Love that threat progression for Teryx, too- fierce!

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
WOW!!! Redclaw looks fantastic!! seriously, MUCH much more menacing than he looks in the cartoons. He looks so much sleeker and swift, and terrifying!!
AWESOME!!

I know right!! I would love to see the gang try to pull off their "run"-between-the-legs strategy now that Redclaw looks like this. :lol  I put the 'run' part in quotes cuz, let's face it... on some scenes, it doesn't even look like the kids are running, just walking with haste....

Just looked through your thread- awesome! So much energy, and so many great concepts and expressions! Good stuff, keep it up 
Love that threat progression for Teryx, too- fierce!

Thanks dude! I guess my energy just transfers itself on the paper! And a lot of the concepts, especially the more recent ones, you can thank Pangy for! *hugs my good buddy Pangy!*

FEAR THE ANGREH TERYX! HE'LL NOM YOUR FACE!

Hmm…on one hand, I think the whole scenario of Tero saving Teryx's life is more poignant without the distraction (apologies for the negative-sounding word) of the flyer speaking to Tero and convincing him to spare its life, but on the other hand I do like the idea of Tero getting some character development out of it in the end…I can't decide!

I can't really decide either, which is why I made it an alternate scene rather than official :D ... But...Hmmm... There ARE other ways for Tero to get developement in the official story-line, ways that won't be distracting :idea

I think I might finally have a use for the Chomper-replacement character... (yeah, I almost forgot my OCs were originally replacements for the Gang of Fiv- er....Seven) :p

I just figure that even if Tero’s not punching someone right now, he would tend to clench his fists in the same way he did when he did use them for punching. Granted, punching’s probably not one of his chief means of attack, but LBT domeheads seem to clench their fists a lot during threat displays, and with those claws of theirs I’m pretty sure they would learn quickly that it’s much safer to make a fist with your thumb outside.

That is very true! :lol I'm sure now, I'll be thinking of a scenario where Tero learns that lesson!! Thanks for giving me another potentially humorous idea, Pangy! :DD

if you look at him in the TV series, Red Claw’s body has almost Chomper-like proportions that made him look a bit more “cuddly”. (Just don’t tell Red Claw I said any of that ).

:spit Just wanna let you know, that 'Chomper-like proportions' and 'cuddly' part almost made me choke on my coconut juice, especially when one thinks about it being applied to a full-grown Tyrannosaurus Rex!

but more importantly, the way his upper lip is arched gives his entire upper jaw a slightly hooked appearance.

Hmmmm, maybe if I drew some exposed gums where his lip arches, it'll help with that hooked-appearance! And as to the number of teeth, yeah, I don't usually put much thought into the number of teeth when I draw them, I just put however many I can either fit, or something :oops But I think now I'mma start putting more thought into it :yes And there's no need to apologize, Pangy!! I really appreciate your reviews and that includes the constructive criticism! I mean, how else am I gonna improve! :DD

I particularly admire how you drew only the end of the middle toe visible behind his inner toe; usually when I draw three-toed feet from the side, I draw the middle toe visible along the entire top of its length. Unfortunately this results in many of my dinosaurs looking like they have ostrich feet (one huge toe with a smaller toe next to it). The way you drew Red Claw’s foot here looks much more realistic. (See, you just [inadvertently] gave me a drawing tip! Giving feedback is mutually beneficial! )

Yayz!! I typically draw toes the same way you do, and it's recently that I decided to try out this new-ish style (I say new-ish, cuz some of my older drawings in general also features this style of foot drawing). Since it turned out so well, I think I'll be using it more often!! And double yayz!! I gave ya a drawing tip!! SQUEEEEE!!!!!

You know, minus the functioning eyes, I think this is how I’m going to be envisioning Red Claw in the RP from now on, too!

COOL!!

(Was there any particular kind of bird you were thinking of when you drew this?)

Yes, I was specifically thinking of an owl while drawing Teryx #1!

*tries to hold in laughter* Teryx doing the Chicken Dance... If Tero would just understand the concept of money (and stop shoplifting :p ), then I bet he'll pay $1,000 just to see THAT!!!

Honestly I think the wing feathers on Teryx #2 look even better than #1’s. His expression is also great (even with the snout that I agree looks a bit shortóbut still good! ), though somehow I’m only noticing now that his eyes are the exact same shade of yellow as his snout, and it looks a little odd. His posture is rather uprightónot that it looks bad, but somehow I imagine his “circling” posture being more hunched, maybe with his wings lifted up to maintain his illusion of looking bigger than he really is.

YES!!! The wing feathers was a success!! I think that's the new official way for Teryx to hold his wings whilst on the ground! Yayz!! And yes, his eyes are the same color as his snout. I guess it's more obvious in Teryx #2, cuz there's no purple feathers in between... :oops

And good point, Teryx probably would try to keep up the "I'm-so-big-and-scary" illusion. I guess I was just too intent on practicing his new wing idle-position that it didn't cross my mind!  :lol

Another potential issue is that, although you did a great job drawing his wings from the front, I don’t think the viewer should be able to see the red coverts on top of his wings and the undersides of his blue feathers below his wings at the same time; the blue feathers would have to be very strongly curved downwards for that to be possible

I knew it!! The extra wing-part underneath was the result of a nagging afterthought!! I shouldn't have listened to it! :bang  :lol Thanks, Pangy! I think it's nothing a little erasing can fix, though I am a bit reluctant to switch the pic...Hmmm, oh well! I'l do it when I next get the chance (aka, after I'm done with all my other stuff that's currently being colored on Photoshop)!

As for Teryx's tail, firstly, I LOVE that idea of Teryx's tail shape being Tero's fault!! :lol I love those two too much, I really ought to give attention to the other OCs! :smile  Anyways, I actually copied the LBT design when it came to his tail; albeit, I made the ending feathers a little bit more prominent (that's probably what's contributing to the ever-present hand-tail joke!! :lol: ). I agree, it doesn't look aerodynamic at all, but it's LBT and you know how they are :lol

Ooooo! And before I forget, I got another LBT pic! It's not much, but I think it's worth submitting here!

This....is just too cute, at least to me! Whilst Tiki's knitting Teryx up a new sweater :p , Clubbie decides to play with one of the balls of yarn. There isn't really much to say about this pic actually, which is disappointing, I know. I simply made it because Pangy's idea was just too darn adorable!!

As usual, hand-drawn at work, colored on Photoshop. *head slams on keyboard, alseep because I'm actually getting pretty tired right now, which sucks cuz it's too early...*

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Oct 11 2012 on  10:14 PM
I think I might finally have a use for the Chomper-replacement character... (yeah, I almost forgot my OCs were originally replacements for the Gang of Fiv- er....Seven) :p
Ooh, who's the Chomper replacement character? I don't recall you sharing anything about him/her yet.

I just figure that even if Tero’s not punching someone right now, he would tend to clench his fists in the same way he did when he did use them for punching. Granted, punching’s probably not one of his chief means of attack, but LBT domeheads seem to clench their fists a lot during threat displays, and with those claws of theirs I’m pretty sure they would learn quickly that it’s much safer to make a fist with your thumb outside.
That is very true! I'm sure now, I'll be thinking of a scenario where Tero learns that lesson!! Thanks for giving me another potentially humorous idea, Pangy!
You're welcome. Wasn't even trying to suggest anything that time. :P: I'd imagine it to be something he'd learn at a fairly early age, assuming he's always been this pugnacious (that's one of my favorite adjectives for pachycephalosaurs :p).

if you look at him in the TV series, Red Claw’s body has almost Chomper-like proportions that made him look a bit more “cuddly”. (Just don’t tell Red Claw I said any of that ).
:spit Just wanna let you know, that 'Chomper-like proportions' and 'cuddly' part almost made me choke on my coconut juice, especially when one thinks about it being applied to a full-grown Tyrannosaurus Rex!
Ooh, sorry about that. :o Just to be safe, maybe you should be careful not to be eating or drinking anything when you read one of my comments. I don't think I could live with myself if I unwittingly killed you for real. :unsure:

(Was there any particular kind of bird you were thinking of when you drew this?)
Yes, I was specifically thinking of an owl while drawing Teryx #1!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised…owls are the masters of the "feather fluff bluff". :p

YES!!! The wing feathers was a success!! I think that's the new official way for Teryx to hold his wings whilst on the ground!
You mean the pose in picture #1 or #2? I know a real Archaeopteryx would most likely have its wings folded at its sides (a little more like #1), but #2 would be pretty good for when he was bringing an arm forward to gesture or grasp something.  

Another potential issue is that, although you did a great job drawing his wings from the front, I don’t think the viewer should be able to see the red coverts on top of his wings and the undersides of his blue feathers below his wings at the same time; the blue feathers would have to be very strongly curved downwards for that to be possible
I knew it!! The extra wing-part underneath was the result of a nagging afterthought!! I shouldn't have listened to it! Thanks, Pangy! I think it's nothing a little erasing can fix, though I am a bit reluctant to switch the pic...Hmmm, oh well! I'l do it when I next get the chance (aka, after I'm done with all my other stuff that's currently being colored on Photoshop)!
It’s all right, you don't need to change the pic. That commentóas with most of my art critiqueówas mainly just for future reference, in case you ever drew Teryx from the front like that again.

I love those two too much, I really ought to give attention to the other OCs!
Yeah, they’re just too much fun. :smile I agree, though. I’d love to see more pictures of your other characters. I especially think you should draw a few more pictures of Cookie. When I was drawing your star day card, the only reference I could find for Cookie’s appearance and colors was the “Typical Day” picture. :blink: Which reminds me: even though I drew a picture of Cookie nomming on a cookie, I’d still like to see you do a version of that concept. Maybe Cookie caught in the act of emptying an entire cookie jar. :lol

Oh, hold on…I just had another idea for a picture that led to a whole explosion of ideas. It would be a scene of the entire band in the kitchen baking cookies: Clubbie has stuck balls of cookie dough to his spikes in place of his usual fruit (perhaps he has placed some of the dough balls onto baking trays and is attempting to use his club to flatten them out, resulting in dented trays :lol); a moment earlier, Teryx managed to stick an entire bowl full of cookie dough on Tero’s head, and Tero (now with the bowl over his dome like a hat and cookie dough oozing out over his head) is now retaliating, having trapped Teryx inside an upturned metal pot (perhaps with his tail sticking out) which he is now banging on with a spoon; meanwhile Tiki, momentarily distracted by the pair’s antics, turns back to see one of the other bowls of cookie dough empty and Cookie with her cheeks full attempting to look innocent. :lol (I also imagine at least one of the characters wearing an apron, which perhaps you could use to your advantage by using it to conceal those annoying-to-draw legs. :p)

This....is just too cute, at least to me! Whilst Tiki's knitting Teryx up a new sweater :p , Clubbie decides to play with one of the balls of yarn. There isn't really much to say about this pic actually, which is disappointing, I know. I simply made it because Pangy's idea was just too darn adorable!!
I agree, Clubbie is extremely cute here. :DD Better not stand behind him, though, or you could get knocked out. :p

You did a really good job drawing him overall; his forelimbs look excellent, and I really like the way his paw is clutching the ball of yarn. The yarn itself is awesomely drawn: the ball itself is amazingly realistic, and I love how the string is draped and looped all over Clubbie (of particular note is the section draped over his snout, showing the “topography” of the plates on top of his nose).

Most of the “flaws” I can see in this picture involve inconsistencies in symmetry. (Before I go on, let me say: AUGH! I hate how hard it is to draw a symmetrical picture! :anger) For instance, his left nostril is slightly lower, his left eye is slightly higher, and his upper left horn is a completely different shape compared to their counterparts on the right side of his face. Likewise, the spines on the left side of his tail do not match up with the spines on the right side of his tail. (My recommended solution would be to, in the future, draw the segmenting of the armor on his tail first, and then add the spines alternately one at a time, so you can focus on making sure each spine’s shape, size, and position matches that of its twin.)

Other than the symmetry issues, the only thing I would suggest would be to try to make the “diagonal” rows of white scutes on his back more equidistant (to use a perhaps overly-scientific-sounding term) from the row of scutes going down the center of his back and the rows of spikes on his sides. To put it another way, if the spikes represent a 0 degree angle and the central scute row represents a 90 degree angle, then the scutes between them should be angled 45 degrees. As it is, they look like they’re somewhere between a 25 and 35 degree angle. (Aw, great, now I sound like a geometry teacher. :oops)

Awesome to see another picture from you, and hope more will be coming soon. :smile

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ooh, who's the Chomper replacement character? I don't recall you sharing anything about him/her yet.

Yeah, he's been given the oh-so-creative name as Biter and he's been casted aside cuz I literally had nothing for him to do; his only purpose is to replace Chomper in my imagination. But I drew him, even if it was with very little effort on my part :oops !

I have NO idea what species he's supposed to be. He's the same type of sharptooth as those that made a brief cameo in the beginning of LBT 4. They looked kinda like the raptors that also appeared in the same movie's intro hunting a ceratopsian, but they had stripes, was a darker tone of blue, and a close look showed they lacked a 'killer claw' on their feet. So they were some other small, pack-hunting predator... *shrugs*

He's also the only OC replacement character that stayed the same age as the character he's meant to replace! Just a fun little fact!

Anywho, until now, I never knew what to do with him. Him joining the gang won't really work, as Tero would NEVER let him get too close (another difference between Tero and the Domehead trio is that Tero wouldn't kill a hatchling, even if the hatchling's a sharptooth, so Chomper would be safe from physical harm if he ever met him). But I can probably conjure up some way to develop Tero's character towards sharpteeth via Biter.....Now if only I can think of something...

Heh, he also turned out a brighter blue than I anticipated, but I like it! :D

Ooh, sorry about that. Just to be safe, maybe you should be careful not to be eating or drinking anything when you read one of my comments. I don't think I could live with myself if I unwittingly killed you for real.

:lol It's okay. I see choking on food/drinks via laughing as a good thing!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised…owls are the masters of the "feather fluff bluff".

Ooooo! I saw an owl a few days ago!! It was like 5 in the morning, I was sitting on a bus-stop bench when this beautiful barn owl flew by, probably about 10 feet in front of me! It was soooooo friggin' AWESOME!!

You mean the pose in picture #1 or #2? I know a real Archaeopteryx would most likely have its wings folded at its sides (a little more like #1), but #2 would be pretty good for when he was bringing an arm forward to gesture or grasp something.

I meant picture #2, but you do bring up a good point. If only they showed a perching archie in the LBT, then it'd be a bit easier for me! :lol I bet Teryx would look adorable with his wings folded to his side.

Yeah, they’re just too much fun. I agree, though. I’d love to see more pictures of your other characters. I especially think you should draw a few more pictures of Cookie. When I was drawing your star day card, the only reference I could find for Cookie’s appearance and colors was the “Typical Day” picture. Which reminds me: even though I drew a picture of Cookie nomming on a cookie, I’d still like to see you do a version of that concept. Maybe Cookie caught in the act of emptying an entire cookie jar.

I do have an old sketch of Cookie, you know back when I was making my character's debut pictures. But I never finished it (outlining and coloring has yet to be done), and even if I do finish, it isn't very well-drawn and my confidence in the pic is pretty low. :unsure:

And you can definitely count on me doing that cookie jar picture! Even if I suck at drawing Swimmers, it's just too cute to pass up on! Epecially since that star-day card is such an inspiration!

Oh, hold on…I just had another idea for a picture that led to a whole explosion of ideas. It would be a scene of the entire band in the kitchen baking cookies: Clubbie has stuck balls of cookie dough to his spikes in place of his usual fruit (perhaps he has placed some of the dough balls onto baking trays and is attempting to use his club to flatten them out, resulting in dented trays ); a moment earlier, Teryx managed to stick an entire bowl full of cookie dough on Tero’s head, and Tero (now with the bowl over his dome like a hat and cookie dough oozing out over his head) is now retaliating, having trapped Teryx inside an upturned metal pot (perhaps with his tail sticking out) which he is now banging on with a spoon; meanwhile Tiki, momentarily distracted by the pair’s antics, turns back to see one of the other bowls of cookie dough empty and Cookie with her cheeks full attempting to look innocent. (I also imagine at least one of the characters wearing an apron, which perhaps you could use to your advantage by using it to conceal those annoying-to-draw legs. )

O....m....g.... I HAVE to draw that!! It's up there with my still-in-the-making group zoo picture! In fact, I'mma start on it now! I especially wanna do Tero with a bowl on his head and I can already see how I'm gonna do Cookie's expression! And an apron sounds genius!!

I agree, Clubbie is extremely cute here. Better not stand behind him, though, or you could get knocked out.

Oh, that poor soul!! :lol  :lol

Most of the “flaws” I can see in this picture involve inconsistencies in symmetry. (Before I go on, let me say: AUGH! I hate how hard it is to draw a symmetrical picture! ) For instance, his left nostril is slightly lower, his left eye is slightly higher, and his upper left horn is a completely different shape compared to their counterparts on the right side of his face. Likewise, the spines on the left side of his tail do not match up with the spines on the right side of his tail. (My recommended solution would be to, in the future, draw the segmenting of the armor on his tail first, and then add the spines alternately one at a time, so you can focus on making sure each spine’s shape, size, and position matches that of its twin.)

You're definitely right! Symmetry is pure EVULZ!! Especially on the face! I've seen some methods on how to fix it, but I'm not too sure how to make it work for a non-human character with a muzzle and horns and plates. :wacko: Although I certainly like your idea for the tail symmetry, I usually draw the spikes first, then the lining of the plates. I'mma employ your method for drawing Clubbie (and Toni for that matter, whom I think will be a bit more difficult to make symmetrical)!! I is thanking you! *hugs*

Other than the symmetry issues, the only thing I would suggest would be to try to make the “diagonal” rows of white scutes on his back more equidistant (to use a perhaps overly-scientific-sounding term) from the row of scutes going down the center of his back and the rows of spikes on his sides. To put it another way, if the spikes represent a 0 degree angle and the central scute row represents a 90 degree angle, then the scutes between them should be angled 45 degrees. As it is, they look like they’re somewhere between a 25 and 35 degree angle. (Aw, great, now I sound like a geometry teacher. )

........................ Yeah, okay. I'll admit it, I had to look up what "equidistant" means. :lol: But I can still understand what you're saying! I don't really have access to a protractor (I believe that's what the measuring-angles tool is called; please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I think I can measure the angles via the naked eye now that I know what I'm looking for! :yes

Awesome to see another picture from you, and hope more will be coming soon.

Okay!! Here ya go!

Sorry it took some time, I've been alternating between drawing Super Mario Bros. fanart, and LBT fanart like this! Being obsessed with two different things simultaneously is difficult.

And OOOOOOOO!! I think I really am getting better at drawing birds! Sure, I still see mistakes (like I know I screwed up on the leg-feathers, but since Teryx really doesn't use them for powered flight, I guess it can be excuse-able :p ), but it still came out a whole lot better than I expected!

Teryx is on the hunt and catches sight of a wit-less little mammal digging for food. The little Fuzzer caught some generic insect just as it senses something is wrong. Will it manage to escape or will Teryx get his lunch?

You know...this is my first time thinking about it and I dunno why I haven't brought it up before when I'm emphasizing Tero's hate for sharpteeth and Teryx being a mini sharptooth but... yeah, it's probably behaviors like this that contributes Tero's hatred for Teryx. Aside from the fact that their personalities are far less than compatible, Tero knows Teryx is a sharptooth whose size is the only thing keeping him from being a real threat worthy of being chased off and/or killed. But what if Teryx were to come across a newly-hatched baby Leaf Eater? Fortunately, Teryx isn't interested in hatchlings as food.

Also, I don't like backgrounds right now, so I skipped it entirely!  :D Squeeeeeee!! I still can't believe how well this turned out!! Thank you so much, Pangy!! Those pics you showed me and the tips you supplied were a HUGE help!! I have no doubt this pic would've turned up having a LOT more anatomical inaccuracies if it wasn't for you! *glomps*

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh my gosh, did it really take me a week to write this response? Sorry about that.

Hmm…no offense to Biter or your own art skills (which, as I hope I have succeeded in conveying time and again, I have unending respect for), but I think he would look better if his design were a little less like Chomper's. As soon as I saw the picture (and before I looked at the description) I started making guesses as to what kind of theropod he was supposed to be, and I automatically assumed that he must be one of the large varieties, like a carnosaur or megalosaur. :oops (Dang it, I wish LBT had come up with more sharptooth hatchling designs than just Chomper, “The Lonely Journey”’s Acrocanthosaurus, and “The Great Egg Adventure”’s fast biters. ) His hands, particularly, look a bit too small, and his body and tail may be a little too bulky. I have no idea whether this would work, but perhaps you could try giving him proportions more like Ducky’s in the original LBT (I specify the first movie because her in the sequels her proportions are more “stubbified”), given that she’s a bipedal dinosaur whose design clearly indicates that she’s very young, but also gives a sense that she’s capable of quick and nimble movements (at least compared to Chomper: he tripped on his first step; Ducky chased a butterfly through a log before she was even fully out of her egg :p). I’m sorry; I realize this was a fairly “doodlish” drawing that you made mainly to show the concept of a character, not a planned-out, finely detailed, labor-intensive portrait; I shouldn’t be so harsh with my critique. :oops

I do like Biter’s colors, though. And his toothy little grin is cute. Somehow I get the impression of him being insatiably curious, with his preferred tool for examining the things he’s curious about being his mouth, and that he’s about to leap up and bite the nose of whoever’s looking at him. :lol (Maybe that could also be his favorite way to greet other characters…though that could cause problems with Tero… :unsure:) Have you thought about how your gang first encounters Biter? Perhaps he could be a more precocial type of sharptooth hatchling, gravitating towards a parent or group of siblings, but able to fend for himself pretty well. Rather than being constantly with the group, perhaps he could sort of shadow them, traveling alongside or behind them, but staying out of sight most of the time, so that he benefits from both the small prey that the larger dinosaurs stir up, and relative safety from the smaller, solitary sharpteeth that might otherwise threaten him, without constantly provoking the ire of a certain sharptooth-intolerant domehead. And of course he could “join” the group every now and again, if he’s looking for a warm place to sleep, seeking safety from a predator, or just feeling particularly social.

I guess if you don’t have any means of fitting this character into your stories (Gack! I just realized that there’s still a ton of fanfic and fanfic chapters of yours that I really ought to review!), then there’s no real need to use him. If you can think of a way for him to bring some character development to Tero, though, that idea sounds great! I do think this character has potential, though it might also be good to not introduce him to your gang right away; better to have plenty of time to explore and develop the relationships between the main five characters before throwing a baby sharptooth into the mix.

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Oct 23 2012 on  05:12 PM
I have NO idea what species he's supposed to be. He's the same type of sharptooth as those that made a brief cameo in the beginning of LBT 4. They looked kinda like the raptors that also appeared in the same movie's intro hunting a ceratopsian, but they had stripes, was a darker tone of blue, and a close look showed they lacked a 'killer claw' on their feet. So they were some other small, pack-hunting predator... *shrugs*
Hmm…Yeah, I know the dinosaurs you’re talking about. For some reason, whenever I looked at those little guys, I always thought “Saltopus”, probably because of the way they were bounding across the river in that scene (Saltopus means “leaping foot”). Saltopus isn’t considered to be a true dinosaur anymore, though, and even if it was, neither it nor any small theropod I can think of had ashort, blunt, blocky snouts. No small theropod that I can think of off the top of my head had those proportions. Honestly, even I don’t know what those little guys were supposed to be. :confused

*checks his trusty copy of The Macmillan Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals ©1988*

Well, the best guess I can come up with is Coelurus (a dinosaur you hardly ever hear about nowadays, which is probably why I didn’t think of it before), which was often illustrated with a rather short, blunt skull. It was lankier than our mystery sharpteeth, but the picture in my book does look vaguely similar to them. It has also occurred to me that my IDing of those sharpteeth may have been thrown off because I have always had the impression that they were extremely tiny, seeing as they were dwarfed by a Brachiosaurus’s head. But now that I think about it, LBT III has clear signs of being influenced by Jurassic Park (namely, the Velociraptor in the climax), and the head of the Brachiosaurus that interacted with the human characters in that film (you know, the one who demonstrated the power of sauropod sinuses? :p) was pretty gigantic in relation to them. So my initial concern that the six-foot Coelurus was too large to be a candidate for those mystery sharpteeth’s identity may be unfounded. (And let’s face it, LBT has seldom bothered much with scaling its dinosaurs accurately. :rolleyes)

Those little sharpteeth also make me think of “Syntarsus” (later renamed Megapnosaurus, now apparently considered by some to be a species of Coelophysis :wacko), a theropod that was once popular to illustrate with a jaunty crest of feathers on the nape of its neck. Its proportions, however, were completely different.

For the record, I identified the raptors in the following scene as Deinonychus and the ceratopsian as either a Pentaceratops, or a Chasmosaurus with inaccurately shaped brow horns. (Incidentally, those raptors are the basis for one of the characters in my own group of “gang substitute” OCs. :p)

Ooooo! I saw an owl a few days ago!! It was like 5 in the morning, I was sitting on a bus-stop bench when this beautiful barn owl flew by, probably about 10 feet in front of me! It was soooooo friggin' AWESOME!!
Cooool. :wow I've got a couple of neat owl stories myself. Remind me to tell them to you sometime.

I do have an old sketch of Cookie, you know back when I was making my character's debut pictures. But I never finished it (outlining and coloring has yet to be done), and even if I do finish, it isn't very well-drawn and my confidence in the pic is pretty low. :unsure:
It's okay, you don't have to share it. I’m just curious to see more pictures of Cookie, since she’s the least drawn of all your characters.

And you can definitely count on me doing that cookie jar picture! Even if I suck at drawing Swimmers, it's just too cute to pass up on! Epecially since that star-day card is such an inspiration!
Yeah, I agree, LBT-style hadrosaurs are tricky to draw. And I’m glad that little drawing I made of Cookie was so inspiring. I’m looking forward to seeing your take on the “Cookie discovers cookies” theme.

O....m....g.... I HAVE to draw that!! It's up there with my still-in-the-making group zoo picture! In fact, I'mma start on it now! I especially wanna do Tero with a bowl on his head and I can already see how I'm gonna do Cookie's expression! And an apron sounds genius!!
Awesome! Can't wait to see it.

........................ Yeah, okay. I'll admit it, I had to look up what "equidistant" means. But I can still understand what you're saying! I don't really have access to a protractor (I believe that's what the measuring-angles tool is called; please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I think I can measure the angles via the naked eye now that I know what I'm looking for! :yes
*checks Google* Yep, a protractor is the right name of the tool you’re thinking of.

I meant picture #2, but you do bring up a good point. If only they showed a perching archie in the LBT, then it'd be a bit easier for me! :lol I bet Teryx would look adorable with his wings folded to his side.
Well, I do have these three screenshots showing one of the green Archaeopteryx from LBT VII perching. Personally I don’t think it’s a very good reference, though: the right wing is a much brighter shade of green than the left, the feather detail is mostly simple fuzz and there is virtually no detail of the flight feathers, and the foot looks more like a tree-climbing lizard’s. You could probably come up with a much better design for Teryx perching with his wings folded by yourself. I found a tutorial on how to draw folded bird wings, if that helps (be sure to read all the text!).

Hmm…here’s a thought: Recently I came up with an incredibly silly and random idea for a picture of Teryx and Tero. Rather than suggesting it as an addition to your already long list of picture ideas you have for those two, what if I took a crack at drawing it myself, and in the process, demonstrated my idea for Teryx’s folded wing design?

O-kee do-kee…my initial response to the second picture:

:wow “Wow… Wow… Wow, that is good!” :o

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever drawn an Archaeopteryx that accurately (though admittedly I haven’t made many attempts at drawing super-accurate dinosaurs, and I don’t recall Archaeopteryx ever being one of them).

The feather detail on this is seriously amazing. I particularly love how you did the feathers around and underneath his hand; it’s hard to put it in words, but there’s something especially realistic-looking about them. The tail feathers don’t end too early, or taper excessively towards the base. His leg is almost entirely hidden above the knee, but you have those little delineations of fluff showing that the leg is still there. All of these details set this picture above a lot of Archaeopteryx drawings you can find on the Web.

You also did a nice job making Teryx expressive despite his realistic design. His eye in particular makes him look intent and stealthy, and I even get a sense that he’s ready to shut it the instant he hits his prey, so that his eyes aren’t damaged in the subsequent struggle. I also love the little patches of pluffed-out feathers on his chest, shoulders, and knee. For such a relatively simple picture (as in, not an ultra-realistic, John-James-Audubon-esque painting with a million layers and every detail accounted for) you did astoundingly well making his feathers look dynamic, like they’re shifting and ruffling with his movements.

And OOOOOOOO!! I think I really am getting better at drawing birds! Sure, I still see mistakes (like I know I screwed up on the leg-feathers, but since Teryx really doesn't use them for powered flight, I guess it can be excuse-able :p ), but it still came out a whole lot better than I expected!
Actually the leg-wings look really good. I dunno, maybe the feathers closest to the ankle joint should be projecting further outwards to form more of a winglike point, but I don’t know for sure. Honestly, I think the guy who wrote that blog article about common mistakes in drawing Archaeopteryx would tell you that this is a lot more accurate than 90% of the non-scientific archie artwork out there.

As far as potential improvements, I would make his neck a bit thicker and fluffier, with straighter lines (especially on the underside of his throat). His toes look a little short, although it may simply be that the divisions between them do not extend far back enough. The length and shape of his snout might be slightly off, but I myself am so unclear on the correct shape of Archaeopteryx’s skull that I couldn’t tell you how so. I can say that the lines forming the inside of his mouth (both on the upper and lower jaw) are perhaps a bit too straight.

Finally, a note on the teeth that applies to pretty much all theropods: Surprisingly enough, those teeth shouldn’t extend that far back in the mouth. Turns out, when you look at a theropod skull, whether it be an Archaeopteryx, a Deinonychus, a Tyrannosaurus, an Allosaurus, a Baryonyx, or a Carnotaurus, the last third or so of the mouth is empty of teeth. In a life restoration, most of that last third is usually covered by the soft tissue that forms the cheek (or at least that pink cheeklike membrane in the corner of the mouth), but as a rule it seems that no theropod has teeth directly under its eye socket; the tooth line always ends in front of the eyes. (It also seems that the upper teeth usually extend slightly further back than the lower teeth.) This is yet another mistake I’m sure I’ve been making for a long time, and a good one to keep in mind when drawing theropods.

Oh, riiiiiight…One more thing about Archaeopteryx that I completely forgot to mention before: :slap Apparently it’s believed that Archaeopteryx couldn’t raise its wings above the level of its back (and as a result it could only flap its wings downward, not upward, so it may have been more of a flap-assisted glider than a true flier). Sorry, my bad. :oops But what the heck: this picture is so awesome that I don’t care if Teryx shouldn’t be able to adopt this pose in reality.

You know...this is my first time thinking about it and I dunno why I haven't brought it up before when I'm emphasizing Tero's hate for sharpteeth and Teryx being a mini sharptooth but... yeah, it's probably behaviors like this that contributes Tero's hatred for Teryx. Aside from the fact that their personalities are far less than compatible, Tero knows Teryx is a sharptooth whose size is the only thing keeping him from being a real threat worthy of being chased off and/or killed. But what if Teryx were to come across a newly-hatched baby Leaf Eater? Fortunately, Teryx isn't interested in hatchlings as food.
Huh. Funny how well that works out.

Squeeeeeee!! I still can't believe how well this turned out!! Thank you so much, Pangy!! Those pics you showed me and the tips you supplied were a HUGE help!! I have no doubt this pic would've turned up having a LOT more anatomical inaccuracies if it wasn't for you! *glomps*
Aww, you’re welcome. I’m really happy to have helped you make such a terrific picture. Still, I may have given you pointers and recommended resources, but you’re the one who studied and interpreted these references to make this outstanding art piece. Well done.

EDIT: Holy crimony this is a bleepin' long post. :blink:

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I’d like to see that Teryx display sequence animated . . . :angel  :DD

You're definitely right! Symmetry is pure EVULZ!! Especially on the face! I've seen some methods on how to fix it, but I'm not too sure how to make it work for a non-human character with a muzzle and horns and plates.
You know, a lot of times I deliberately avoid drawing perfectly symmetrical pictures on purpose because the books I have on animation advise against “twinning” drawings, as they call it.  Also I’ve noticed that drawings tend to look more dynamic if they are not twinned, but of course you can draw your characters however you want to, just sharing some information.  :unsure:

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, I love this pic of Teryx^^ the pose is perfect and it ha that suspenseful, frozen-in-time feel^^
Awesome!
J. R. R. Tolkein

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I’d like to see that Teryx display sequence animated . . .

I would too! I wish I knew how to animate stuff; the possibilities would be endless!!

You know, a lot of times I deliberately avoid drawing perfectly symmetrical pictures on purpose because the books I have on animation advise against “twinning” drawings, as they call it. Also I’ve noticed that drawings tend to look more dynamic if they are not twinned, but of course you can draw your characters however you want to, just sharing some information.

Yeah, I heard faces and stuff aren’t truly symmetrical in real life and I agree, it could make a picture more dynamic if used right. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for Clubbie’s pic, although the asymmetry was completely unintentional on my part and were just mistakes.

And any info you share is greatly appreciated! Don’t hesitate to giving your advices!

Wow, I love this pic of Teryx^^ the pose is perfect and it ha that suspenseful, frozen-in-time feel^^
Awesome!

Thank you! I’m so glad I did the frozen-in-time feel well!! Squeee!!

Oh my gosh, did it really take me a week to write this response? Sorry about that.

It’s not a problem. Just look how long it took me to respond! :D

Hmm…no offense to Biter or your own art skills (which, as I hope I have succeeded in conveying time and again, I have unending respect for), but I think he would look better if his design were a little less like Chomper's. As soon as I saw the picture (and before I looked at the description) I started making guesses as to what kind of theropod he was supposed to be, and I automatically assumed that he must be one of the large varieties, like a carnosaur or megalosaur. (Dang it, I wish LBT had come up with more sharptooth hatchling designs than just Chomper, “The Lonely Journey”’s Acrocanthosaurus, and “The Great Egg Adventure”’s fast biters. ) His hands, particularly, look a bit too small, and his body and tail may be a little too bulky. I have no idea whether this would work, but perhaps you could try giving him proportions more like Ducky’s in the original LBT (I specify the first movie because her in the sequels her proportions are more “stubbified”), given that she’s a bipedal dinosaur whose design clearly indicates that she’s very young, but also gives a sense that she’s capable of quick and nimble movements (at least compared to Chomper: he tripped on his first step; Ducky chased a butterfly through a log before she was even fully out of her egg ). I’m sorry; I realize this was a fairly “doodlish” drawing that you made mainly to show the concept of a character, not a planned-out, finely detailed, labor-intensive portrait; I shouldn’t be so harsh with my critique.

Yeah, I was using Chomper’s design as the main basis of Biter’s body form and you brought up an important point that I never considered when doodling this! Perhaps the Fast Biter reference would’ve been better, but using Ducky sounds even more interesting to me! I even updated the pic when I first read your suggestion. I’ve been meaning to show it in this post sooner, but yeah…

And no worries about the criticism! It’s a doodle, yes, but I still love reading your two cents! And without your criticism, I wouldn’t have drawn this new design! :D

I do like Biter’s colors, though. And his toothy little grin is cute. Somehow I get the impression of him being insatiably curious, with his preferred tool for examining the things he’s curious about being his mouth, and that he’s about to leap up and bite the nose of whoever’s looking at him. (Maybe that could also be his favorite way to greet other characters…though that could cause problems with Tero… )

He is a very curious little guy, as I attempt to portray in that previous pic of him interacting with an angry generic beetle. And the running gag with biting as a hello is genius and can even serve as a way to introduce his name too!! And no worries, as long as Biter doesn’t do it to him or Tiki, Tero probably, maybe won’t mind. I imagine he’ll definitely enjoy it if it’s done to Teryx… given that no real harm’s done, of course!

Have you thought about how your gang first encounters Biter? Perhaps he could be a more precocial type of sharptooth hatchling, gravitating towards a parent or group of siblings, but able to fend for himself pretty well. Rather than being constantly with the group, perhaps he could sort of shadow them, traveling alongside or behind them, but staying out of sight most of the time, so that he benefits from both the small prey that the larger dinosaurs stir up, and relative safety from the smaller, solitary sharpteeth that might otherwise threaten him, without constantly provoking the ire of a certain sharptooth-intolerant domehead. And of course he could “join” the group every now and again, if he’s looking for a warm place to sleep, seeking safety from a predator, or just feeling particularly social.

Nah, I haven’t really gotten too much into his story. All I know officially for his character is that, unlike Chomper, Biter’s an orphan forced to take care of himself. Your concept of him shadowing the gang sounds like an excellent idea to introduce him! And it’s friggin’ adorable! Especially this image I’m getting of a lonely Biter coming over to Tiki or Cookie while they sleep and snuggling to them!! D’awwwwwww!!! And he’s even picking up a couple of Leaf Eater words in his constant trailing of them! Thanks so much for the cuteness, Pangy!!

I guess if you don’t have any means of fitting this character into your stories (Gack! I just realized that there’s still a ton of fanfic and fanfic chapters of yours that I really ought to review!), then there’s no real need to use him. If you can think of a way for him to bring some character development to Tero, though, that idea sounds great! I do think this character has potential, though it might also be good to not introduce him to your gang right away; better to have plenty of time to explore and develop the relationships between the main five characters before throwing a baby sharptooth into the mix.

I did get this idea to alter my previous idea for Tero development. But instead of the sharptooth Flyer, it’s Biter attempting to rescue Tero. But of course, being a hatchling, it’s in total vain. Luckily, before either of them could be killed, the rest of the gang arrive and scare off the Fast Biters. Tero gets his development and Biter can probably gain full membership into the group afterwards. But that’s all just speculation right now and I dunno whether to make it official or not.
Oh! And before I forget: I’m not pressuring you to review my stories. Yes, I very much look forward to your reviews, but they’re well worth the wait, so take whatever time you need, buddy!

Hmm…Yeah, I know the dinosaurs you’re talking about. For some reason, whenever I looked at those little guys, I always thought “Saltopus”, probably because of the way they were bounding across the river in that scene (Saltopus means “leaping foot”). Saltopus isn’t considered to be a true dinosaur anymore, though, and even if it was, neither it nor any small theropod I can think of had ashort, blunt, blocky snouts. No small theropod that I can think of off the top of my head had those proportions. Honestly, even I don’t know what those little guys were supposed to be.

………………………
Why is it that all I can think about is how hilarious the name Saltopus is!!!

(Incidentally, those raptors are the basis for one of the characters in my own group of “gang substitute” OCs. )

Dude, now I’m really becoming convinced of the possibility of mental convergent evolution is a real thing!

Cooool. I've got a couple of neat owl stories myself. Remind me to tell them to you sometime.

I’m reminding you now! Please, share the stories of owl-ness (if you still want to, of course)!! Since falling in love with the Silverwing series, I’ve been loving owls!

It's okay, you don't have to share it. I’m just curious to see more pictures of Cookie, since she’s the least drawn of all your characters.

I’ll probably scan it as is and post it here sometime. Just don’t expect a good pic, kay?  :p

And she is the least drawn, isn’t she? Although I do agree that Swimmers are pretty hard to draw, so that probably explains it…

Hmm…here’s a thought: Recently I came up with an incredibly silly and random idea for a picture of Teryx and Tero. Rather than suggesting it as an addition to your already long list of picture ideas you have for those two, what if I took a crack at drawing it myself, and in the process, demonstrated my idea for Teryx’s folded wing design?

…………………

You wanna draw Tero and Teryx? OMG, AWESOME!! I would LOVE to see this silly and random pic of yours when you get around to drawing it!  :yes

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever drawn an Archaeopteryx that accurately (though admittedly I haven’t made many attempts at drawing super-accurate dinosaurs, and I don’t recall Archaeopteryx ever being one of them).

The feather detail on this is seriously amazing. I particularly love how you did the feathers around and underneath his hand; it’s hard to put it in words, but there’s something especially realistic-looking about them. The tail feathers don’t end too early, or taper excessively towards the base. His leg is almost entirely hidden above the knee, but you have those little delineations of fluff showing that the leg is still there. All of these details set this picture above a lot of Archaeopteryx drawings you can find on the Web.

You also did a nice job making Teryx expressive despite his realistic design. His eye in particular makes him look intent and stealthy, and I even get a sense that he’s ready to shut it the instant he hits his prey, so that his eyes aren’t damaged in the subsequent struggle. I also love the little patches of pluffed-out feathers on his chest, shoulders, and knee. For such a relatively simple picture (as in, not an ultra-realistic, John-James-Audubon-esque painting with a million layers and every detail accounted for) you did astoundingly well making his feathers look dynamic, like they’re shifting and ruffling with his movements.

Let’s see if I can find a pic to express my exact feelings of reading those words:
...................Nope, I can't find any!! So...

ZOMG!!!! I is sooooo very glittery-eyed!! I never thought this pic would get that kind of compliment! My efforts have not been in vain!! Actually, instead of being torturous, the wing feathers were pretty fun to draw!! I guess the fun-ness came from my enthusiasm in drawing it for this thread!! Squeee!! Thank you so much for such kind, an awesome, and kind words!!!!

As far as potential improvements, I would make his neck a bit thicker and fluffier, with straighter lines (especially on the underside of his throat). His toes look a little short, although it may simply be that the divisions between them do not extend far back enough. The length and shape of his snout might be slightly off, but I myself am so unclear on the correct shape of Archaeopteryx’s skull that I couldn’t tell you how so. I can say that the lines forming the inside of his mouth (both on the upper and lower jaw) are perhaps a bit too straight.

Finally, a note on the teeth that applies to pretty much all theropods: Surprisingly enough, those teeth shouldn’t extend that far back in the mouth. Turns out, when you look at a theropod skull, whether it be an Archaeopteryx, a Deinonychus, a Tyrannosaurus, an Allosaurus, a Baryonyx, or a Carnotaurus, the last third or so of the mouth is empty of teeth. In a life restoration, most of that last third is usually covered by the soft tissue that forms the cheek (or at least that pink cheeklike membrane in the corner of the mouth), but as a rule it seems that no theropod has teeth directly under its eye socket; the tooth line always ends in front of the eyes. (It also seems that the upper teeth usually extend slightly further back than the lower teeth.) This is yet another mistake I’m sure I’ve been making for a long time, and a good one to keep in mind when drawing theropods.

Ooooo, the teeth part I can easily remedy with a few eraser-strokes on Photoshop! The snout part, I think I remember focusing a bit on that when drawing. I’ve been paranoid with: “Oh man, too big” “Great! Too narrow”, so the crits with that is completely understandable!! I do wonder why the reconstruction on the head is so tricky for people to do. Don’t we have lotsa complete skeletons on our little half-birdie?  :DD

Looking at the toes, yeah I see what you’re talking about!  :slap  I think I was thinking more of a land-bound raptor’s foot when drawing this. Meanwhile, Teryx would certainly need the longer toes to perch on branches and such!

Oh, riiiiiight…One more thing about Archaeopteryx that I completely forgot to mention before: Apparently it’s believed that Archaeopteryx couldn’t raise its wings above the level of its back (and as a result it could only flap its wings downward, not upward, so it may have been more of a flap-assisted glider than a true flier). Sorry, my bad. But what the heck: this picture is so awesome that I don’t care if Teryx shouldn’t be able to adopt this pose in reality.

That alright, dude! Though I’m very curious: Don’t most, if not all, of a flapping flight’s power come from the down-stroke? Would the inability to raise the wings over the back really be detrimental to Archaeopteryx’s movements? I be sooo very interested to know!!

EDIT: Holy crimony this is a bleepin' long post.

:lol That’s reviewing two pics for ya!! I personally LOVE your long posts! They’re so interesting to read and this extra-long one was extra-fun to read!!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Those types of pictures, that show a freeze-frame are very hard to do, and you pulled it off quite nicely^^ I always get stuck with anatomy and then posing the anatomy, and then I erase and start over. :p
Also, I find that doodle incredibly sweet^^ kinda how I picture young sharpteeth, inquisitive and curious, hooking up with the first interesting thing they find... (in this case, a bug O_o)
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, the new version of Biter looks much better! He’s very cute! :DD Big improvement on the shape of his head, and yet his facial expression (which, as you remember, I considered one of the best points of the original drawing) looks to be precisely the same. I can see that you’ve reshaped the teeth to be proportionally larger and slightly recurved; they look much better now (better for helping him live up to his name :p). And I like how we can see his entire crest from this angle; the second spines from the front looks a little bit more angular than the others and isn’t as evenly spaced, but all of the spines behind it look really good to me. Nice job on the arms and hands, too. Great improvement on all of his body proportions, really. I can’t help but think that the line forming the top of his tail should be a little more concave, while the center of his back is a little too concave (to put it another way, the arch of his spine should come closer to meeting the “dome” above his shoulders, with a narrower dip inbetween them), but as far as I’m concerned you’ve basically perfected his design.

He is a very curious little guy, as I attempt to portray in that previous pic of him interacting with an angry generic beetle. And the running gag with biting as a hello is genius and can even serve as a way to introduce his name too!! And no worries, as long as Biter doesn’t do it to him or Tiki, Tero probably, maybe won’t mind. I imagine he’ll definitely enjoy it if it’s done to Teryx… given that no real harm’s done, of course!
As far as I’m concerned, you succeeded spectacularly at making Biter look curious here, because that was absolutely the impression I got upon first seeing the picture. It might partly be because this picture reminds me a lot of the first drawing you did of your dinosona (the one where she’s reclining while transfixed by a dragonfly :p), but I definitely interpreted Biter as inquisitively examining the beetle, not about to eat it. Speaking of which, is that one of Takeo’s ancestors Biter is playing with? (Originally I had no idea how whether stag beetles existed in the Mesozoic, but after some quick research I found out that the family Lucanidae has been around since at least the mid-Jurassic.) If he’s not careful, Biter may be about to experience what irony feels like. :p (Then again, will there be an incidence of “zoomorphism” on Biter’s part, with him assuming that the beetle is just saying hello? :lol)

Nah, I haven’t really gotten too much into his story. All I know officially for his character is that, unlike Chomper, Biter’s an orphan forced to take care of himself. Your concept of him shadowing the gang sounds like an excellent idea to introduce him! And it’s friggin’ adorable! Especially this image I’m getting of a lonely Biter coming over to Tiki or Cookie while they sleep and snuggling to them!! D’awwwwwww!!! And he’s even picking up a couple of Leaf Eater words in his constant trailing of them! Thanks so much for the cuteness, Pangy!!
You’re welcome. I’m glad you like the ideas! :D

I did get this idea to alter my previous idea for Tero development. But instead of the sharptooth Flyer, it’s Biter attempting to rescue Tero. But of course, being a hatchling, it’s in total vain. Luckily, before either of them could be killed, the rest of the gang arrive and scare off the Fast Biters. Tero gets his development and Biter can probably gain full membership into the group afterwards. But that’s all just speculation right now and I dunno whether to make it official or not.
I think you’re right; that sounds like it would work much better than your original idea involving the sharptooth flyer. Also, wow: either Teryx, Tiki, Clubbie, and Cookie pull their own version of a “tar monster” on the fast biters, or they’re one heck of a force to be reckoned with when defending their friends, if they manage to intimidate a threat Tero can’t scare off. :blink:

Oh! And before I forget: I’m not pressuring you to review my stories. Yes, I very much look forward to your reviews, but they’re well worth the wait, so take whatever time you need, buddy!
Thanks, Sparky.

Why is it that all I can think about is how hilarious the name Saltopus is!!!
It is a great name, isn’t it? :lol Shame it’s such a poorly known critter.

Please, share the stories of owl-ness (if you still want to, of course)!! Since falling in love with the Silverwing series, I’ve been loving owls!
Certainly! I probably shouldn’t share them in this thread, since they’re bound to take up a lot of space. I may bump a preexisting thread in the Fridge dedicated to animal stories (I’m pretty sure I was planning to post one of them there ages ago). Alternatively, there’s always our PM/e-mail discussions, but we’ve got tons of stuff to catch up on in those already, and it might be nice for the rest of the GOF to be able to hear my owl stories, too. At any rate, sorry for postponing them. :oops

I’ll probably scan it as is and post it here sometime. Just don’t expect a good pic, kay?  
No problem. ;) Maybe when you do, you could have another, newly drawn picture of Cookie ready to post immediately after you’ve shown me the “bad” one.

You wanna draw Tero and Teryx? OMG, AWESOME!! I would LOVE to see this silly and random pic of yours when you get around to drawing it! 
So you approve? Great! :smile It’ll probably have to wait until after Christmas, because I’m going to have my hands full drawing cards for family members before then. I can honestly tell you, though, that I’m really excited to draw that picture. :smile

ZOMG!!!! I is sooooo very glittery-eyed!! I never thought this pic would get that kind of compliment! My efforts have not been in vain!! Actually, instead of being torturous, the wing feathers were pretty fun to draw!! I guess the fun-ness came from my enthusiasm in drawing it for this thread!! Squeee!! Thank you so much for such kind, an awesome, and kind words!!!!
You are most welcome, as usual. :^.^:

The snout part, I think I remember focusing a bit on that when drawing. I’ve been paranoid with: “Oh man, too big” “Great! Too narrow”, so the crits with that is completely understandable!! I do wonder why the reconstruction on the head is so tricky for people to do. Don’t we have lotsa complete skeletons on our little half-birdie? 
I have to say, I don't understand it either. I guess paleontologists are just divided on how to restore the skull, since as far as I know, it's more or less crushed flat in all known specimens. Maybe someone has figured out the most likely skull shape for Archaeopteryx, and I just don't know about it yet. Paleontology…it's awesome, but it's a field that experiences so much flux and contains so much controversy that it can get very confusing. :wacko

I’m very curious: Don’t most, if not all, of a flapping flight’s power come from the down-stroke? Would the inability to raise the wings over the back really be detrimental to Archaeopteryx’s movements? I be sooo very interested to know!!
You make a good point there. I suspect that the advantage of a wing’s upstroke works on the same principle as hitting something with a hammer: if you raise the hammer up before swinging it down, you can strike with much more force than if you hold the hammer parallel to the ground and bring it down from there. Likewise, if a flying creature can raise its wings above the horizontal plane, the wings can gain more momentum on the downstroke, providing greater lift for flight. Still, I do wonder whether it would have been possible for Archaeopteryx to achieve some level of powered flight even without a complete upstroke. It’s times like this when I wish I could arrange a scientific experiment with a realistic simulated dinosaur (either a robot or a computer model; possibly both) and test whether it could achieve certain physical feats, like whether Archaeopteryx could fly via flapping, how hard pachycephalosaur headbutts were (and whether they could smash their heads together without serious injury), how much bone a tyrannosaur could bite through, what sort of acrobatics a pterosaur in flight could be capable of, whether it was more energy-efficient for sauropods to hold their heads high or low, how flexible plesiosaur necks were, whether diplodocoids could really create supersonic cracks with their tails without fraying the tips…the list goes on and on. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Holy crimony this is a bleepin' long post.
That’s reviewing two pics for ya!! I personally LOVE your long posts! They’re so interesting to read and this extra-long one was extra-fun to read!!
Well, if that’s the case, I guess you’ll be pretty happy with my response to the question(s) you recently posted in my “Ask Me” thread, assuming you have a week or so of freetime to read the whole thing. :rolleyes I didn’t so much give you my two cents in that response as my two dollars. :p It may be the longest piece I’ve ever written on this forum. :blink:

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I have to head out soon, but I really want to put up my new pic before I go. I'll post up a response to Strut and Pangy as soon as I get time again (and when my internet's more cooperative <_< ).

I think I have enough time for a quick description! This is a doodle I did whilst working on my other big works (a realistic group shot of the super-pred gang from the "In the land before time" RP and my OC gang baking in the kitchen, plus another Super Mario Bros. pic). It spawned when I was watching the bonus content of "Walking with Dinosaurs" and one of the amusing title scenes had a skateboarding Coelophysis. How could I resist after that?!

Tiki found my skateboard and asked me to teach her how to use it. She's a quick learner and now she doesn't even wear protective gear anymore! Show-off. Here, she's trying to cheer up Teryx, who's still very peeved about his plucking even with his newly-knit sweater! To let off steam, he's playing Warpath: Jurassic Park and is beating on Pachycephalosaurus, whom he's pretending is Tero.

Not much effort went into this, but I would still love to hear your opinions! Feel free to comment without waiting for me to respond to the previous posts, I'll catch up ;) .

Gotta go!! See ya later!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Electric Boogaloo^^ lol I couldn't resist.
Very nice work on the pose and anatomy of the EPIC!Skateboardering!Tiki! XDD I really like how she is positioned, with her legs balanced like that, helps lend the impression of her weight being distributed.
Awwww, poor Teryx :( he's always getting picked on. YAH! Show those Domeheads who's boss!! XDD
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Blarg…I can’t believe it took me so long to review this. :rolleyes :oops

Okay, first off, this picture is awesome. :D I’ve seen the WWD “making of” featurette, but somehow I forgot all about the skateboarding Coelophysis until you mentioned it. Personally, I think your version is even better (if only because of the epic pose Tiki is currently in :smile). It started me thinking that an image (even a silhouette) of a skateboarding dinosaur would make a fantastic logo for some company. Like one of those logo animations you often see at the beginning of movies where it starts with a moving image, which then freezes in place, and the company name appears below it. :idea

Sorry, getting off-topic… Anyway, Tiki looks fantastic. I love her pose and the look of enthusiasm on her face. Nice job on her stripes, too; they look very uniform.

She's a quick learner and now she doesn't even wear protective gear anymore! Show-off.
Well, I imagine it’s tough to find a helmet that fits her head anyway. :p

Oh great, I just imagined Tero trying some skateboarding tricks himself, only to fall off it in midair and land upside-down on his head (kind of like what happened to the first domehead that chased Cera in the first LBT). He wouldn’t be hurt, of course, thanks to his built-in helmet, but I imagine Teryx would find it amusing (in addition to providing a graphic demonstration to the other dinosaurs of why you recommend using safety gear while skateboarding).

Speaking of Teryx, that poor, poor little guy. :( Hope his feathers grow back soon. In the meantime, I think he needs something more than the sweater he’s got right now; something to cover his entire body, including his tail, with sleeves roomy enough for his wing feathers when they start to regrow. Perhaps a snuggie? (Sorry, probably should’ve thought of that before I suggested drawing him in a sweater. :oops)

I can’t help but think that it says something about your skill at drawing expressive characters that you were so successful in making Teryx look like he’s in a bad mood despite not having much detail in his face in this picture (His posture, particularly the way he’s hunched forward, definitely helps). One thing that does look a little odd is that his eye color is the same as that of his snout, hands, and legs. Maybe you could start putting little white reflection spots in your characters’ eyes (not just Teryx’s, but the others’ as well) so they don’t look so flatly colored compared to the rest of them.

Can’t wait for your response (not to mention more art), Sparky! :D