The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What was the deal with Ducky Spike and Petrie?

Guest · 34 · 6789

Bruton the Iguanodon

When they were all crying like babies...just cause they fet bad about what they'd said to Littlefoot. I mean, I can understand them feeling bad but to see them all crying that hard was unnerving! Spike espicially! I feel like the late films were really bad, and here was no exception. A charactr will cry in a book or movie when it's the right time, but...that just didn't feel right. By the way, do dinosaurs even have tear ducts?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
They were crying because they basically chased Littlefoot away, something they never did before in the series. I think they were worried their friendship was over, thus they cried. It may also have been due to extreme guilt about what they said to Littlefoot.

Bruton the Iguanodon

But my point is, there have been far sadder scenes in LBT where the characters haven't nearly as choked up as they were at in that brief scene.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But few in which guilt and remorse were added to sadness to trigger the reaction. It is a long time since I saw LBT 11 though to say something very detailed about the scene in question.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Am I the only one who felt this scene felt more...pathetic, and I'll even go as far as to say humorous, then sad, as most previous scenes where LBT characters cry have been?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Probably. I never found the scene to be pathetic. They reacted like that for a good reason: they felt horrible about what they did and were probably worried that Littlefoot wouldn't want to speak to them again.

Considering how long they've been friends, the idea of them possibly not being friends anymore really triggered a deep reaction in them. It is not humorous or pathetic to show remorse and guilt over something.

Now if they had gotten into a fight about position of rocks and went off on a temper tantrum, now that would be pathetic and even funny. But something far more serious happened in LBT 11. Littlefoot's friends got upset with him because he lied and now that lie led to the 'deaths' of the tinysauruses (keep in mind they don't know they're still alive after this).

I can say from experience it's very possible to cry over remorse and guilt. I had a few fights with friends before, and one of them was bad enough that it did make me cry.

Remember: Just because the scene doesn't involve someone dying or getting the living daylights beaten out of them doesn't mean the scene cannot still be sad enough to warrant tears. Fights with friends are a good reason to get upset.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Okay, but give me a break here...the music didn't really help much to set the tone (unlike so many other scenes), Cera was like "If that isn't the most disgusting thing!" and they were all smiles a few secs later. You can see why it didn't do it for me. It was actually worse then most emotional scenes for me cause I felt the characters were acting overly sensitive. But then again this was at the end of the film series when everything was collapsing, even though it had been going that way since movie 5.

Bruton the Iguanodon

The whole movie 11 was immense---from Littlefoot being called "little" for no good reason---I mean, he's been that way the whole time, to Topps and Tria meeting, kocking down the treesweets, to everyone gathering around the bare tree, to all the adults singing creepy crawlies, to the search and destroy mission and Littlefoot finding the little longnecks, to him introducing his friends to them, to the cheesy-but-happy scene, awesome "Girls and Dads", to everyone being tired, to Cera struggling with her Dad's romance with Tria, to Topps and Tria stumbling upo one of the little longnecks, to everyone tryig to exterminate them and Littlefoot confessing, to the rocks trapping the little longnecks, to "If only" to everyone thinking ***t about Littlefoot, to crying, crying, crying and more crying to the worst sharptteth fight ever to everyone getting along to a HUGE overwhelinming treesweet gathering this movie was one gigantic piece of ***T!!!!!!!! I mean, why was Spike crying? Uusually he's the one with the most sense not to cry!!!

Bruton the Iguanodon

And anywyas I'm not even sure if Spike was really crying cause he was upset or...cause everyone else was. I mean, Spike never cries!!!

Bruton the Iguanodon

Really...does anyone know the real reason Spike was crying? Or Ducky and Petrie even...?

It felt like a clumsy attempt at making them look pathetic for laughs and was just disgusting!  :x  

And it really made me mad. :anger

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
They were crying because for the first time ever, they really lashed out at Littlefoot for the mistakes he made. Sure Cera is always on Littlefoot's case, but that's to be expected because they have been arguing since the first movie. Petrie and Ducky have never said one mean thing to Littlefoot in the entire franchise, and they realized how harsh they were and were upset. Spike may not have said anything, but his facial expressions indicated that he too was upset with Littlefoot. When you think about it, this scene is actually one of the strongest scenes in the movie. When Littlefoot needed somebody to talk to beside his grandparents, he would always go to his friends. Here he needed them most of all, and they turn their backs on him. For all he knew, they were never going to speak to him again. He leaves, and they may never be friends again. This is a really heartbreaking thing for young kids to possibly lose a best friend over a fight, so I found it completely understandable that they were crying. Sure it would have been better if they all formally apologized to him, even though Ducky barely manages one out while they are being chased by the fast biters.

I wouldn't let something like this get you upset though. There are way worse things that could happen to be mad about.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Spike never cries. Was he genuily upset or just doing it cause the rest were?

They were crying because for the first time ever, they really lashed out at Littlefoot for the mistakes he made. Sure Cera is always on Littlefoot's case, but that's to be expected because they have been arguing since the first movie. Petrie and Ducky have never said one mean thing to Littlefoot in the entire franchise, and they realized how harsh they were and were upset. Spike may not have said anything, but his facial expressions indicated that he too was upset with Littlefoot. When you think about it, this scene is actually one of the strongest scenes in the movie. When Littlefoot needed somebody to talk to beside his grandparents, he would always go to his friends. Here he needed them most of all, and they turn their backs on him. For all he knew, they were never going to speak to him again. He leaves, and they may never be friends again. This is a really heartbreaking thing for young kids to possibly lose a best friend over a fight, so I found it completely understandable that they were crying. Sure it would have been better if they all formally apologized to him, even though Ducky barely manages one out while they are being chased by the fast biters.

They showed him how they really felt towards him at that moment,  which is not only about the most a person can possibly do but also better then holding it in. Sure, they might have felt guilty about it later but not to the point where we get a pathetic scene where we're what? supposed to laugh at their patheticness?!! I really hate that scene. LBT 11 was awful.

And I really hate that people blame Cera for "turning Ducky against Spike" in 8. I know that has nothing to do with this and I'm just saying it cause it makes me mad.Really, "The Mad Song" is great and people go bash it?!  :anger

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Spike never cries. Was he genuily upset or just doing it cause the rest were?

Spike was genuinely upset. He doesn't talk, but he was just as mad at Littlefoot as the rest of them. The only way he could express his anger was to nod in agreement when Ducky and Petrie were yelling at him.

They showed him how they really felt towards him at that moment, which is not only about the most a person can possibly do but also better then holding it in.

Exactly. The thing is, this is the first time in the entire franchise they have ever lashed out at Littlefoot in this manner. Not once in any of the other movies did they yell at him specifically and turn their backs on him. And this wasn't something that they were mad about him for say an hour or so. They were upset the night before when Littlefoot admitted that he lied, and the entire morning up until the they realized what they did. Granted, the movie doesn't reveal what point of the day they yelled at him, but still the idea is they were upset at him for the longest they have ever been.

Sure, they might have felt guilty about it later but not to the point where we get a pathetic scene where we're what? supposed to laugh at their patheticness?

I fail to see how the scene is pathetic and how you determine that when somebody cries in these movies that immediately means we laugh at them. Sure this scene may not have had an emotional impact like anything in the first movie, but that's because the sequels had no involvement from Don Bluth whatsoever. Imagine if he worked on this movie. This crying scene would probably have been a lot more powerful. However, since he wasn't, it handled the way any direct-to-video sequel is.

And I really hate that people blame Cera for "turning Ducky against Spike" in 8. I know that has nothing to do with this and I'm just saying it cause it makes me mad.Really, "The Mad Song" is great and people go bash it?

People bash the song because people don't like it. There is nothing wrong with that, and no reason for you to get upset about it. You like it, others don't. That's it. Nothing else you can do about it but respect other opinions.

Bruton the Iguanodon

So Spike wasn't just crying cause everyone else was!!!??????  :anger  :confused  :wow  :!  :huh:  :blink:

The music playing durig it wasn't remarkable really and Cera said it was disgusting and it just panned out to show them crying like they were some freak show  :confused  :confused

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
So Spike wasn't just crying cause everyone else was!!!??????

Nope, he genuinely felt bad because even though he didn't say anything, he made Littlefoot know by his facial expressions that he was upset. Spike isn't just a character that does something because others do. He has his own feelings and emotions. How did the group finally decide to go after Ducky in movie 7? Because Spike was upset that his sister was kidnapped and he rushed off to save her.

The music playing durig it wasn't remarkable really

True, the music is not the best, but it doesn't help that the sequels only used the soundtrack from the first movie in certain scenes.

Cera said it was disgusting and it just panned out to show them crying like they were some freak show

Cera calling the scene disgusting was supposed to be the funny part. Also, that was meant to lead in to her advice that they can't simply cry over something that can be fixed, an important lesson to teach kids. Don't ponder so much on the problem. Instead, look for the solution.

Also, the panning out is to imply that Cera was there the entire time watching them cry. Maybe it was not done the best way, but there is a reason for that pan out.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Cera calling the scene disgusting was supposed to be the funny part.

If this was truly supposed to be a sad scene, there wouldn't be a "funny part"!

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 22 2012 on  11:33 PM
If this was truly supposed to be a sad scene, there wouldn't be a "funny part"!
Just because a scene is sad doesn't mean something happy or funny can't follow it to lighten up the mood. Ducky, Petrie and Spike cry, the mood of the scene is sad. Cera comes up and calls them disgusting in a sarcastic manner, it lightens up the mood. Is it hysterically drop-dead funny? No. But I got a chuckle out of it when I saw it for the first time.

Look at the first movie. Ducky is crying over the "death" of Petrie, the mood is sad. Petrie climbs back up the cliff, revealing he is alive, it lightens up the mood. In movie 9, Moe leads the swimming sharptooth away, Littlefoot thinks Moe will die, the mood is sad. Moe comes back, revealing he is a live, it lightens up the mood. Sure this crying scene is not as powerful as the ones I have mentioned, but it works in that same manner.

And if all else fails, this scene was put in the movie because the producers thought it would be a good idea, so they went for it. It's their movie, they can do whatever the heck they want with it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

People bash the song because people don't like it. There is nothing wrong with that, and no reason for you to get upset about it. You like it, others don't. That's it. Nothing else you can do about it but respect other opinions.

Guess I'll have to live with it. I'm not saying I like it, but I can't help it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

How did the group finally decide to go after Ducky in movie 7? Because Spike was upset that his sister was kidnapped and he rushed off to save her.

I have a whole topic on this...so I'm just gonna let it go here.

Anyways, I think it in truth bothers me because of how it was handled. It's actually one of the most emotional scenes in the sequels--- I mean, everyone here seems to think Spike (who never cries) was genuily crying, not just cause the rest were, and unless someone else agrees with me, I'm just gonna have to accept that. Which actually, I want to, seeing as Spike is my favorite and that would make this one of the few torch scenes he has!

The problem is, this...wasn't the fim where such a serious scene shoud have been included. It's too dark a scene for this movie. And as a result ended up havig to be toned down from what it really is by having the bright, awful aimation, the line Cera to lighten the mood, and rather ineffective music, all of which help it blend in to the film. If this scene were to happen in a movie like the original film, it would work so much better.

In the end, I think it was simply the wrong scene to put into the film, seeing as the film was of the most kiddish of the sequels and this part was something on borderline seriousness of the original.