The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Overrated and Underated LBT films

Guest · 7 · 904

Bruton the Iguanodon

I personally think a lot of people think a little too highly of LBT 10. It was not an LBT I grew up with and so is less dear to me then the first 9, let alone the pure, dazzling brilliance of the first 3 sequels, but I feel like people think of 10 too highly, cause, "oooh, there's a big eccplise" and "ooo, he meets his dad!"

Seriously? What about all those good times we had with LBT---those first 9 freaking movies---where he didn't have a dad? Huh? Is everyone just gonna forget about that? Is everyone just gonna welcome Bron into the cast after all this time? Well I, for one, am not! <_<

They were trying to make "adventureing" into something exiting and great since it's Littlefoot singing about this huuuuge adventure he's going on! Man, this would be so freaking exiting---IF HE HADN'T BEEN ON A F***ING ADVENTURE IN EACH OF THE PAST 9 SUPERIOR FILMS!!! Also, we got some creepy looking imaginary visuals, showing that the filmmakers clearly wanted to re-create the awesomeness "Big Water" offered but failed miserably.

Also, some people may like the fact that Littlefoot's mother is referenced. I do, for one, since she's rarely mentioned in the sequels. But what? They make her blue?!! Well F**k the animators for not remembering her color or F**k Bron for being a shitty husband who can't remember the color of his own wife.

The climax was extremely overdone. The whole film was extremely overdone. There were a few good moments, like the scene in the swamp, and the scene where Littlefoot rides on Sue, whom I love, but the whole movie stood out as a whole with the huge dramatic climax ad the huge dramatic ending shot, so individual moments were lost---something even in the worst of times LBT had previously managed to keep control of.

Also there was a whole lot of weird, like the opening sequence---seriously, was whoever made that part...on drugs or soemthing? Even the rainbow faces were mild compared to this.
And then you have the overly emotional ending song, obviously trying to recreate the brilliance of "No one has to be alone". But whereas "No one has to be alone" was pure beautiful, this was overdone...

7 is usually overated too, cause---gues why?---PTERANO'S IN IT!! I originally thought everyone liked him cause he was a bad-turned-good, but really, most just like him cause he's hot. Which, unfortunately, I can understand. Also, Ducky sings, "Everybody has a little good inside them and everybody has a little bad" Didn't she just say, "Your uncle isn't as mean as the other flyers. Petrie" I have little doubt she believes the other flyers have absolute zero good in them at all, as was the case with the Sharptooth, Dil, and Ichy and the eggstealers. Hyp and his pals, too, initially.  

Which brings me to 3. No one seems to like this one, even though it's superior to every film after 4, and, yes, I'm not afraid to say it---the original. Why does nobody like this one? It's fun, has a good story, nice music, good animation---what isn't there to like about it? Heck, it's my favorite.

Anyways, have fun posting your thoughts on this.  :)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I wouldn't say I like Pterano because he's "hot"...that's kinda...wut?
I've been a fan of him since I was six/seven years old. And he was just a "cool" character for me.
I realize now that a lot of characters I like are a bit like him: An ego to fill half a Titanic (nyeee-heh-heh), charismatic, and some form of skeleton-in-the-closet.
Besides that, I don't know what it is about Pterano that I like. It's just my inner kiddo clinging on. And he eventually led me to be the Michael York fan that I am. It was my first movie, and I've gone on to see Logan's Run (what a weird movie!), all four Musketeer films, those two (awesome) Omega Code movies, and some of his other cartoon roles (He was in the frikken' MAGIC SCHOOL BUS as a HERPETOLOGIST! What more could I ask for!?)  

And, it has his first singing role in thirty years (the first being when his brand new fiancee was in the hospital in India during a film...like, he proposed to her when they got there and then she got sick), and it was pretty decent. Even though it was bursting with ego.

Even I have to laugh at him from time to time. Being an LBT villain, he doesn't have a ton of motivation besides what he says at the very very end, but...WHY!? Why does he want to "create" a paradise?

Tsk. I need to work on my fan fiction.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I think Pterano's one of those, "He's popular, so now he sucks" characters---I might actually like him if he wasn't so popular. And I got the idea that people like him cause he's "hot" (I know, it's disturbing) cause when someone asked the question someone replied (with the corresponding TV trope) "even the guys want him".

But I'm glad that's not actually the reason. Personally I prefer Sierra but Pterano's interesting.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't really see much special about LBT3. It wasn't the strongest movie in series in my opinion. I may have liked it as a kid, but I don't think it holds water for me now.

I don't really think LBT10 is overrated. But I also don't think it's underrated either. For LBT7, it's not my fav sequel as it was the first sequel I got bored with and actually shut it off the first time I watched it before I finished it. But I don't think it's overrated or underrated.

I have a hard time saying what LBT movies were underrated or overrated. Not sure why. Maybe it's because of how they change overtime, and it depends on your taste. Each segment differs from each other in terms of animation or story style, sometimes both. It goes like this:

LBT 1, LBT 2-4, LBT 5-LBT 6, LBT 7, LBT 8, LBT 9-12, LBT 13

If memory serves me right of course.

Each segment is different in some way, as I said. Like LBT 5 and LBT 6 were sort of a transition between the early 3 sequels and LBT 7. LBT 7 had the simplest animation of the movie series, in my opinion. And LBT 13, from what I recall, really dumbed down the series and was the least impressive of the movies.

Because of this, I can't really say what movies I feel were overrated or underrated. It really depends on your taste.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, no. That's not the reason =P . My guess is that he's a tad more "interesting" than some of the prior villains. He's not acting by predator nature like Ozzy or Dil and Icky, nor is he being an outright typical everyday bully bully like Hyp and his Gang. He has much deeper reasons for his behavior, and though he does kidnap Ducky, he does not mean to deliberately hurt anyone.

I just wish that his motivations had been built on more. And I need to improve on mine some more. Like, why DOES he want to be a leader so badly and why does he want to "create a perfect paradise"? I think that he's a tad bit more "real" of an antagonist. He's like those politicians who try/want to make things better, but end up making things all go wrong...except, somehow, a little bit more sympathetic (because we're actually WATCHING him and can really predict his next move?)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally, I don't feel that "being popular" is a legitimate reason to not like a character. That's just my opinion.

As for motivation, I was thinking that Pterano wanted to redeem himself, at least during the course of the movie. Like, he feels so ashamed of his incompetence in the past that he wants to make up for it somehow. But as for why he wanted to be leader before that, hard to say.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's right. Popularity is sort of a silly reason to not like someone...or something.  It's sort of like my reason for not liking the Twilight series. Not because it's popular. It's  because it's a giant pile of ignorant, disrespectful, anti-feminist, anti...respect-for-men (what do you call that?), uneducated pile of **** that gives a kick to the face of the already failing dignity of vampire lore. Not that I care for it. I find vampires very boring. And THEY are popular too, yet I don't like them. Again, because I find them boring and uninteresting. I don't see the hype of some pale, almost-zombie stalking the night for blood. Especially the modern vampire. Eeeyuck!
But that's another discussion for another topic.

I forgot about his desire for redemption. But for certain, I wish his desire for leadership had been touched on a bit more...and where he got all his crazy old wive's ideas from XD