The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Meanest Sharptooth and the LBT VI T. rex

Hypno · 6 · 1299

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
This is something I've wanted to discuss on here in a long time - I have before, but on the wrong topics.
We all know of the Canyon Sharptooth, right? The sharptooth that Littlefoot encounters in the climax of LBT VI, right after escaping the Allosaurus.
He has a very similar look to the "Biggest, Meanest, Most Ferocious Sharptooth Ever". They both have the same coloring, eye color, and shape. They also make the same sounds.

I've thought about this for a while: are they the same individual? Is the Canyon Sharptooth the ghost of him, or a manifestation caused by the bad luck that descended upon the valley from the tooth falling off of Saurus Rock? (The area around Saurus Rock is actually an abandoned area of the Great Valley, but doesn't this bad luck start to get worse and worse? Does it extend past the Great Valley?)

Or is it just a coincidence that these sharpteeth are the same looking (just because they're males due to being dark green and being in the pre-art shift, movies I-VI)?

Littlefoot is trying to remove the bad luck because it'll get worse and worse if he does not take the tooth from the Allosaurus. But it is still alive, and it chases him. He loses it by getting through a bunch of rocks, which it starts to break through, and then he runs into a Tyrannosaurus that looks a lot like the Meanest Sharptooth from legend.
Littlefoot says: "I don't wanna be a lone dinosaur anymore!". Why doesn't he say this when he is being chased by the Allosaurus? Because this sharptooth is either the Meanest Sharptooth of some form, or at least looks a lot like him, causing Littlefoot to yell this out.
It chases him, and trips on a rock, allowing the sharptooth to get closer, though a shadow looms over them. Littlefoot looks up, and, thinking it's Doc there to save him from the "Meanest Sharptooth", it is actually Grandpa Longneck, along with his friends. The sharptooth begins a fight with Grandpa Longneck, and struggles greatly against him. Could it be because the Meanest Sharptooth has lived all these years and can now barely fight?
As Grandpa is taking care of business, the Allosaurus appears and roars in anger, presumably from having to use its energy to destroy those rocks. The sharptooth finally kicks Grandpa to the ground, though he is sent a hundred feet or more! Is this because he is some manifestation of the sharptooth from the story?
Both sharpteeth move towards him. Why do they not turn to each other and fight? Large theropods normally do not take kindly to having another one in its territory. Instead they ignore each other, as if one of them is not there.
Doc then appears and takes down the Allosaurus. The Tyrannosaurus turns to him, angrily. Could this because this is his past opponent who killed or nearly killed him? Grandpa then gets up and knocks him away, however, before any sort of confrontation can happen.
Both sharpteeth get up and charge at the longnecks, again ignoring each other, and, stupidly run into a rock spire. The longnecks pull it down, killing them for good. This causes problems with the ghost theory, but the others could still work.
A tooth from one of them lands near the kids. Which sharptooth is the tooth from? It is not known, at least I don't know. But maybe it is the tooth from the Meanest Sharptooth or the manifestation of him? That might fix the bad luck, but a normal Allosaurus tooth would not.

What do you think? I honestly believe that this sharptooth IS a mortal manifestation of the Meanest Sharptooth from legend, and that he was summoned to attack Littlefoot "by the bad luck" due to how bad it is getting.

That was long, I need to rest :lol
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, it's pretty obvious that the filmmakers wished to create immense similarities between the two fights to underline Grandpa's resemblance to the Lone Dinosaur of old and I doubt they thought about this issue in more detail. Personally, I don't know what to think about the film's legend. To be honest, I don't believe Doc is even the original Lone Dinosaur and similarly, the "canyon sharptooth" isn't his ancient nemesis. This would simply stretch the universe's laws too far.

However, you made some really good points about the encounter and something strange truly was going on (alongside with the filmmakers' own shortcomings) and I'm not sure what to say about it. If both the sharptooth and Doc are the legendary duo, the former has aged pretty badly. According to the tale, they battled for hours during their last match whereas now the battle was a stomp and it's unlikely only the carnivore would have aged. Also, I'd see even Doc would be taken aback or at least surprised to see a ghost attacking him.

In short, this theory is very interesting but in the end, I don't believe in it too much. It would stretch LBT's limits too much and the sharptooth was too weak to be the one the Lone Dinosaur fought in those primeval times. Both of those combatants are most likely dead.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Snik,Jul 23 2017 on  05:39 PM
It's just simple stupid sharptooth  :rolleyes:
no relation to the Meanest Sharptooth
But why does he not notice the Allosaurus in his territory?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think you're reading too much into this :p

Well, it's pretty obvious that the filmmakers wished to create immense similarities between the two fights to underline Grandpa's resemblance to the Lone Dinosaur of old and I doubt they thought about this issue in more detail.
I think this is the best explanation anyone could come up with (and honestly, I wouldn't even have noticed this because I don't care for the sharpteeth :p)
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Littlefoot is trying to remove the bad luck because it'll get worse and worse if he doesn't take the tooth from the allosaurus"

I thought the whole story of saurus rock keeping bad luck out wasn't real.  :confused