The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If you wanted to resurrect LBT

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It has become painfully obvious by now that LBT is dead and Universal doesn't want anything to do with it. (At least for now.) Proof of this is simple.  The office is closed.  Save for looking on the internet, LBT movies are hard to find.  You can't find LBT toys unless you look on eBay.  There's ZERO LBT merchandise items at Universal Studios.  Not to mention Cartoon Network has pretty much dropped LBT with their game not being on their website anymore and the fact they chose to do a different movie rather than give LBT a chance to come back.  I could go on with the proof here.

With it being THIS obvious, you'd think LBT just won't come back.

However, let's just say that YOU one day get the chance to resurrect LBT.  How would you do it?  How would you bring back LBT.

I've got quite the explanation to what would bring it back.  It'll take a while to think through.  I've got a lot of ideas and I want to get them down, but I don't have the time right now.

So, until then, what do you guys think?  How would YOU bring back LBT?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think I may wait for a bit, then try a reboot and keep the movies similar in quality, tone, ect to the earlier movies.  Have writers and directors who know how to write/direct a movie that all ages can enjoy, not something written at young kids only.  For starters.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I would start by making a prequel to the TV series that gave Ruby a formal introduction and explained how she and Chomper became full-time members of the gang.

Oh, and what Kor said; I couldn't have worded it better myself. :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That is exactly what I wrote The Rise of Storm Tide for.

I wanted to capture the original feel of Land Before Time beyond the preschool stuff they are doing now, and for me that did it.

Other then that I would agree with Kor, there certainly is a market for LBT out there still but it has to be recognized that the real fans are older now.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
One, officially claim that LBT 13 never happened.

Two, I would make LBT 13. It would not include chomper or ruby as characters, unless the plot invovled seeing chomper again, which would be a possibility. The point being, they definitely wouldn't be permanent members of the gang.

When making LBT 13, I would go back to the feel of the first 4, with a fresh story.

And, I would hire Kiefer Sutherland full time as Littlefoots dad, just because Kiefer Sutherland is awesome.

Lastly, I wouldn't put it on Cartoon Network. I would purchase my own TV channel. And air LBT 24/7. :[

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
you've got A LOT of points there, it seems you pt up my info about the LBT game coming off CN.com

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I were to continue the LBT series, I would begin by brainstorming how to bring the feel of the first few sequels back to any future LBT projects, especially the levels of suspense.  Then, work from there...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If I were to resurrect LBT (which I will) I'd get all you guys' opinions! :lol  :p Who needs to hire writers when all you people are here willing to work for free? :nyah

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wow, it seems many are saying the same basic things.  Not surprising really since that is when lbt was at its best in my opinion.  The early sequels & the first movie.  I feel those were well written for all ages, not just at kids.  Some of the points I mentioned before.  

It seems like many agree on the same sorts of things.  :yes

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If I brought back LBT I would write the movies like they were in the first five movies. I would also bring back ali like she was in the fourth movie not the tv series.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'd take it into a different form of storytelling. Maybe a series of children's novels? That only requires one person to tell the entire story, not hundreds of animators and colorists. They might be more respective due to the low production costs.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd bring back the feel of the first four films and drop the singing,as well as bring LBT4 Ali back as well as her herd (the TV series screwed that up,since when was the Old One a psycho :lol), I would get actors that fit the characters perfectly(unlike 13) and maybe give the original Shaptooth a cameo or two maybe bring Keifier Sutherland back(who dosen't like the show "24") same goes with Tress Mcnellie and Kenneth Mars,give the movie a narrator that was as good as Pat Hingle and drop Ruby and Chomper.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 30 2009 on  09:24 PM
If I were to resurrect LBT (which I will)
Glad you have that much confidence in yourself....:p

I think I wouldn't make any other sequels, but the tv series. Though to be honest, I think it would have been smart for the producers to make an LBT series once the second sequel came out. It would just have been a good business thing. :p

Firstly, I would want to hear what the viewers wanted, like go on this forum and hear everyone else's ideas and then I would write those down, add some new ideas I made and try to get LBT to be kid friendly yet enjoyable for everyone. :)

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
LBTlover if you are sure on restoring it, I'm in.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
To ensure fullest possible quality, I would try to gather as much of the original team as possible. And I would make sure to include a director's cut edition this time.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pikkutassu,Nov 28 2009 on  07:52 PM
To ensure fullest possible quality, I would try to gather as much of the original team as possible. And I would make sure to include a director's cut edition this time.
Well said but would the cast still be the same?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, bear with me everyone, this one is going to be LONG!

So, I want to try and bring back Land Before Time.  How would I do that exactly?  Heck, where do I start?  If anyone out there took a good hard look at Land Before Time, it's a freaking mess right now.

As I have discussed before, the TV Series was bad enough.  That alone may as well have been the executioner on the franchise.  However, Wisdom of Friends was the one that killed it.  It's pointless trying to prove it never existed.  There's just WAY too much evidence on the net to support it. (My site having the songs from said movie are proof enough of it's existence.) So we have to just move on from these two tragedies and do all we can to bring it back.  This is going to be sweet! :)

Regardless of what kind of idea anyone can make, they have to do everything they can to make it appealing to kids.  They have to grab onto that G Rating and hold on to it at all costs.  Today though, getting that rating, while still taking as many risks as possible is far more difficult than it was when the first movie came out.

The sequels have shown that this is no easy task.  Journey to Big Water was the last sequel that tried to go as far as possible without grabbing that PG rating.  The dark material is indeed not up to par with that of the original Land Before Time, but nothing we make today ever will be.  At least, not without going beyond the G rating.

Still, that doesn't mean you can't come up with a plot that shows your freaking serious here!

The one's going for it can start by trying to figure out a plot that will be worthy enough to get kids interested and get on the good side with parents.  However, they may also want to go with a topic that let's them be as flexible as possible with the G rating.  I think I know the one plot in mind that can work and it's pretty much gone from the franchise.

How about bringing back the plot of racism?

I understand that it was mainly focused as a threehorn/longneck thing, but perhaps it's time to bring it further.  A new character is introduced.  One that is racist beyond belief.  This character is so racist that they hate the idea of the different dinosaurs in The Great Valley living together.  This one new character makes a plot to drive them apart.

The character at hand becomes the antagonist of the film.  They then try to drive the gang we know and love apart.  They tell believable lies about the other members of the gang and succeed in their plan.

Enter, the storyline.  Here, the different members of the gang start by trying to find new friends of their own species to play with.  We get introduced to new kids and are given the reason they were never with those kids in the first place. (Maybe introduce some harsh teasing or something like that.) We also find out that it just doesn't work being with other members of their species.  The gang we know have been best friends so long that getting upset at one another for what they did was just silly.

On the way back to meet with one another, and let bygones be bygones, we are given reasons they are such great friends.  Stuff happens that ends up showing why they enjoy being with one another.  Maybe even reverse the role of Ducky and Petrie where instead Ducky is the one to save Petrie's life. (Seriously, if anyone takes the time to study it, you'll realize that Petrie is the one who usually saves Ducky.  Let's reverse the roles for a change.) They then meet again and make up for what happened.

The antagonist then re-enters the scene and tries a more physical approach at separating them.  They try putting the gang's lives in danger in various ways and finds that they depend on each other to get out of problems.  In the end though, the plan backfires and they get in danger.

The gang then finds the poor character trapped and the gang saves their life.  However, even after being saved, the antagonist is not grateful for being saved by 5 kids who are different from one another.  The character leaves without another word, still holding on to their beliefs.

Cera wonders what is wrong with the character, but Littlefoot tells her to let it go.  They then head off to play with one another, their friendship stronger then it ever was.

That is basically the idea I would use to try and bring it back.

Also, I would try to shoot for 1:45 to 2 hours in length.  Let's face it.  The movies just aren't long enough.

So, what do you guys think? :)

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I only have 2 words for that: FRIGGIN' EPIC. O_O

Nuff said. :DD

Btw, you better have Aria Curzon reprise her role as Ducky, or I'm gonna go and kill myself. Lol, just kidding. But seriously, it would be ashame if someone else voices her instead - I think Curzon is the last perfect voice actor for Ducky, second to Judith Barsi. :p

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That would work but we will need a cast. I suggest if we cannot find a suitable cast we could always at least ask for permission for using the voice overs from past LBT sequels. We can  remix the sounds to form words of the exact same voice

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Nov 29 2009 on  03:59 PM
We can  remix the sounds to form words of the exact same voice
That won't work in the case of Littlefoot's and Ducky's voices though. Littlefoot's voice actor constantly change from sequel to sequel, so combining those voices would result in a crappy voice mix, considering their accents too. Curzon (Ducky) on the other hand, if you haven't noticed, her voice deepens from sequel to sequel, due to puberty.

So in the end, a good old-fashioned voice acting is the best way to go. :p