The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why Do People Hate the Sequels So Much?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It's guilt by association that get the LBT sequels so trashed. It has something to do with what kind of film usually gets this many sequels. Think of Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and the like. The originals for those weren't that great to begin with and their sequels were absolutely atrocious. As such, films like Land Before Time get thought of in the same light, whether or not it's true or fair.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
The vision of the original and the sequels is very different; the first was actually kinda harsh, the later ones were very kid-friendly.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I grew up with LBT up to LBT VI. After that I had no idea they were still making more of these movies. I think it really hit me when I saw a trailer for LBT X I was like, wait, they are still around?

I personally don't mind the sequels up to LBT IX. The voice of Littlefoot during LBT V - IX was obviously getting older and it didn't sound that good in IX. Also, by that point, besides X, the plots were unoriginal.

I guess, like most people here have said, everybody remembers the original for being a masterpiece, but then all of the sequels are of nowhere near the same quality and therefore ruin the original.

I don't necessarily think they ruin the original, but I will not deny that they are nowhere near as good.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's face it: sequels never seem to live up to the original.  Regardless, I still love the LBT series and always will.  I'm only aging on the outside, after all ;).

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Mar 31 2010 on  11:08 AM
Let's face it: sequels never seem to live up to the original.  Regardless, I still love the LBT series and always will.  I'm only aging on the outside, after all ;).
Unless they're called The Empire Strikes Back or Terminator 2  :lol

Horray for being young on the inside!

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Apr 1 2010 on  08:44 PM
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Mar 31 2010 on  11:08 AM
Let's face it: sequels never seem to live up to the original.  Regardless, I still love the LBT series and always will.  I'm only aging on the outside, after all ;).
Unless they're called The Empire Strikes Back or Terminator 2  :lol

Horray for being young on the inside!
Yeah, those are probably two of only a handful of sequels that were better than the originals.

I think the people who watch these movies now hate them because they are just realizing now that they were too young to notice how bad they really were. Then again, I enjoy them regardless so it's all whatever to me.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I am not sure if I do like the sequels.  There are some that I find okay but most sequels can never compete with the original movie.  

The Land Before Time was a magnificent masterpiece which I do feel that it is a shame that the characters are known today (with the younger generations) through either the television show or the sequels.

The first movie had a plot, likeable characters and great scenes (backgrounds).  The sequels vary and that depends on the different directors, editors etc that they had.  Some have okay plots whilst others are awful.  Some have likeable characters whilst others have annoying characters.  

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
To be honest, I'm just glad that the characters are remembered period. Too often animated movies that aren't under the Disney or Pixar logo have a tendancy to be forgotten about after awhile. Even Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which everyone and their grampappys were raving about back in '09 has pretty much been forgotten about.

I agree completely that the first LBT was a masterpiece and I praise the movie for having a beautiful yet haunting story, characters with their own individual personalities and flaws, and for giving us reasons to like said characters aside from them being cute. Truly it is one of the best animated movies and in my opinion doesn't get the credit it deserves. But I still believe the sequels are good in their own right. To me they're fun, have (usually) good stories, have good messages(Not counting 11 and 13) and are able to have genuinely humorous moments without having to resort to the dread slapstick or overused gag.

Now I'm just speaking for the first six sequels. When it got to eight, then the movies were either okay (10) or just painfully bland and boring (8).

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As most people know...SEQUALS SUCK!!!!!!!!!! But some have the odd exception of the second or third being better than the first. Sadly, this wasn't the case. I guess the producers just wanted it to be a kids series, so they probably didn't put a lot of effort into it because they didn't think they would need to because most young kids can't tell the difference whether or not it's a crappy movie or a good movie.

Bruton the Iguanodon

A lot of people talk about how bad the sequels were next to the original, but really the sequels started out better then the original. Then at 5 this changed. Grosvner took over, and things got nasty.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 29 2011 on  02:00 AM
A lot of people talk about how bad the sequels were next to the original, but really the sequels started out better then the original. Then at 5 this changed. Grosvner took over, and things got nasty.
I disagree. The original was better than the sequels. The sequels were never as good as the original. Sure they had suspense and such, but they could never match what the original gave.

Not saying the sequels were bad. It's just that I never felt they were as good, or better, than the original. I do feel that if the sequels were more like the original, they would have been much better. But instead, right from LBT2, the tone completely changed. As a kid, I didn't mind. But now that I'm older, this change in tone did start to aggravate me, I admit.

And in all the sequels, the only one that felt like it returned, kind of, to the spirit of the original is LBT9, and even that couldn't match the original, in my opinion.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
right from LBT2, the tone completely changed. As a kid, I didn't mind. But now that I'm older, this change in tone did start to aggravate me, I admit.

I felt the same way when I first saw LBT 2. I bought the original and LBT 2 when I was 7. I watched the original first and loved it. When I watched the second I felt that there was just far too much fluff! The singing was unbearable and unnecessary to me and very little of these perilous situations impacted me as a kid. I was willing to watch the rest of the sequels but I found them all to be forgettable. To me, all of the sequels weren't entertaining. Especially when I got older.

The only sequel that had somewhat of an "edge" to it was LBT 5 but the movie could've been better.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I think people hate them is because of the value in the messages which it contains.  The first one was basically coping with new environments while the others were like friendships.  The message were told to a younger audience in which others found not interesting.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Everything up to 4 was great. From 5 to 9 it was liveable ,if not barely at times and unbearable in certain moments. 10...was a little too much. 11 was way too much. So was 12. 13?  :x  :x

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
there was already a topic on this I had some feeling there was already on a topic on this then why did I do one when there already was.
 ;)

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like them..though they got more and more dumbed down with each one.

I quite liked the 10th...ALLL DE LONGNECKS  :D

13 on the under hand..*shudder*

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I like the sequels. Though, to be honest, I think they are never as good as the original movie, which is a masterpiece, that started them all. Personally, I see them as some kind of officially released fan-fictions that have nothing to do with the original movie. I guess I think of them this way probably due to having watched the original movie before any of the sequels.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
It can be hard to cope with the dramatic change in style, I guess. Both in art and in themes.

It can be easy to forget that with a movie like The Land Before Time, the story within it was meant to be just the way it was. I mean, with all the death, and sacrifice and poverty themes, etc. in LBT 1, with the tragic story and traditional animation style, I don't see how any sequel after the gang made the trip to the Great Valley could have ever matched the first movie. How do you up the stakes? Destroy the great valley as well? See what I mean? The sequels are just to relive the characters and explore the great valley :) yknow.

EDIT: The great trek, and joining up with other 'races' (well, species) and getting along to find home can't be repeated in a sequel

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The sequels ain't bad! See, I just watched 'Wisdom of Friends' and you know what? I enjoyed it :D See, if you just switch off your brain and relax you'll find it easier to let those flaws be flaws... Just ignore them and enjoy the movies  :) LBT 13 is still waaaaaaaaay better than most of the stuff running on the screen nowadays!
Inactive, probably forever.