The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If LBT Was Anime, Would You Watch it?

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'd watch it. As long as Cera didn't add 'dattebayo' to end of every sentence...

As far as comparing the quality of anime vs western animation goes, remember that both are animated on the cheap in Korea.  :lol

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chikara,Apr 18 2010 on  06:43 AM
I'd watch it. As long as Cera didn't add 'dattebayo' to end of every sentence...

As far as comparing the quality of anime vs western animation goes, remember that both are animated on the cheap in Korea.  :lol
And when it comes to New Zealand animation in general, it's even cheaper here :lol:

But yeah, I still stand by my desicion, as long as they don't give anyone powers like Cera becoming a Super Threehorn, glowing all yellow, or give a Sharptooth some other form of transformation throughout the show, I think all shall be fine XD

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
In defense of anime, I just want to say that even though most anime may not have a consistent plot(Naruto and Bleach are major offenders of this even though I still enjoy them), most american animated shows don't even have a plot to begin with. Most of the time, a series is either about a group of dysfunctional friends, one being the straight man, another being the jerk, another being a harebrained idiot or the other who's just there to fill up space.  Or about a dysfunctional family(Family Guy, Simpsons, etc). As far as kids shows in America go, most of them are about kids or animals doing things kids or animals don't normally do. I don't hate American animation but I'm not going to place it on a pedestal and pretend like it's the best form of animation there is. American animation has just as much flaws as anime has. Most people don't even notice because they're more used to seeing an American animated series as oppsed to one from Japan.

I like anime (well actually manga because I myself am starting to get a little tired with anime), because of the stories and the art. Anime has a wide range of stories, and alot of them are pretty well told. I like anime because it got me into writing and drawing. If it weren't for watching series like One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist, I probably wouldn't even be where I am today. And yes, anime styles may be very easy to draw but is that really so bad? Just because a drawing isn't ridiculously compicated or ridiculously detailed doesn't mean it's not good.

Look, anime must have done something right. I've showed my drawings to many of my past art teachers, all of which praised my work(and helped me to improve it), I drew comics(ANIME style comics) for my high school's magazine from '07 to '09 which again recieved postitive reception from among my friends and teachers. And to top that off, on Deviantart, I've been asked by three different clubs to join. One which was for art, the others being for writing. And yes, my writing was also inspired by the various manga I've read.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like anime has done a lot of good for you.

If you take most work, books, westerns, anime, ect there is a lot of not very good stuff out there in anything.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
True. Everything has its fair share of crap. To say that anime has nothing but crap is unfair and simply untrue.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True.  Anime has a lot of awful stuff, it also has some good and great stuff too.  Though what stuff is good or great may differ based on one's opinion and preferences.  With anime there is likely some stuff you'd like, though you may have to watch a lot to find some.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
landbeforetimelover, of all animes that you mentioned i only liked DeathNote a bit. And i simply can't stand Inuyasha and Blood+. smile.gif 

Well, whatever.  That's not the point I was trying to make.  I didn't say that the shows I mentioned were the only shows anyone could ever like, but there are THOUSANDS of different animes out there.  If I had more time to watch TV and download recreational stuff, I'm sure I'd have a lot more anime shows that I actually like.  The same is true with everybody so long as they give every anime a chance.  For example, I didn't really like Blood + until the fourth episode.  But I give every anime a chance and I ALWAYS watch it in the right order.  You can't just watch episode 23 and say that it sucks.  And sometimes it takes a few episodes for the full story/plot to come out.  That's one thing that I didn't like about Blood +.  You had to watch like 15 episodes in order to get the full story!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
One thing I've noticed when it comes to anime conversions of western cartoons, besides the animation style changing slightly, only a few alterations are normally added to generate that anime feel. Things like the "whoosing" backgrounds, the throbbing black/red cross on foreheads to signify anger, streaming tears when upset are all typical features of anime that always seem to translate across. Not all anime is about superpowered beings that explode and turn blonde whenever they get ratty. Or super speeding antromorphs battling supervillains. The animation style wouldn't bother me too much as I don't tie one partcular anime series to another. I.e. just coz Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Digimon and Bleach are all animes doesn't mean they are all the same thing. There are similarities within each of them but that's like say every human on the planet is the same coz they're all the same species. What I'm getting at is that the content would be more of the quinessential pulling point (for me anyway). If they were to get that right, I'd just be glad that LBT was back on our screens again  :D

hoin1585

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wretch.cc/blog/hoin1585
Anime is very general in Taiwan, even more than American animation. And most of my friends like anime rather than American animation but me. Even though I grew up with both of these two kinds of animations, I think I prefer American animation, maybe it's because of the sense of humor or something else. For example, I like Sonic the Hedgehog SATam rather than any Japanese version of Sonic.

If Japan want to make their version of LBT, I will try it, but I won't be too optimistic.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: JitteryDragon,Apr 17 2010 on  07:44 AM
Quote from: MrDrake,Apr 17 2010 on  03:21 AM
But I would rather them keep it more normal you know, no powers or anything like that sort of thing.  But yeah, I would give it a chance too.
Ozzy: Strut, what does the scouter say about that longneck's power level?

Strut: It's over NINE!!!!!!

Ozzy: ... ... That... that's it?

Strut: Yep.

Ozzy: GET HIM!

Littlefoot: Aww crud.
:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol

Sure! I might give it a chance and watch it if they made an anime of it.  :p There are some Anime's(Cowboy Beebop, Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain, Dragon Ball Z, Trigun) i like and there are some that i dont like.. Cant think of any right now.. But still, it might be interesting..  :!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh God, LBT with fanservice, mechas, and sailor scouts. Hell no!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
I'd watch it. so long as the charactors don't have powers and don't just gasp after another charactor says something.

just as long as 4kids don't get a hold of it. I'm cool with it.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
With me being a fan of animes I would be willing to give it a chance, however it would all depend on what japanese animation company dealt with the creation of the show itself. Now while most animes have many similarities to them, they are also all uniquely different. I would certainly try to keep an open mind while watching the first episode, and depending on how it goes would depend on wether I watch the rest of the series or not. The idea itself though is a VERY interesting prospect I must admit... and I wouldn't mind hearing news about a LBT anime being made.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 20 2010 on  07:15 PM
Oh God, LBT with fanservice, mechas, and sailor scouts. Hell no!
I'd be more concerned if they tried to make it like Lucky Star. Can you just imagine Littlefoot and the gang sitting around and talking about how to eat treestars for ten minutes? Guhhhh...One Lucky Star is bad enough...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I would have to concur with that, animeboye. My main problem is that I'm not sure if any anime companies would be content to just let the premise be and just come up with their own stories within it.

Maybe if Studio Ghibli were behind it... But NOT Gainex! NOT GAINEX!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Cheap Korea? No cheap Chinese? I was afraid even animation is made in china like my #2 pencil.

If this was in anime I think the gang would be called "Yoshifoot", "cerato" "Kawaii", "pikatrie", and "Spiku"!  :smile  

The title would be called; Dinoball Z!

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 21 2010 on  09:05 AM
Maybe if Studio Ghibli were behind it... But NOT Gainex! NOT GAINEX!
Studio Ghibli would for sure do a great job at an LBT anime. Heck, I'd trust them to do a good remake of the first movie.

Gainax can make some good anime. The only problem is that their shows make little to no sense. I've seen FLCL and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi a dozen times and I'm still trying to figure out what was going on in those shows.  They are good animators though, you've gotta give them that. And FLCL did have a memorable soundtrack.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would give it a chance. I watch anime's like Elfen Lied all the time and it has quite a bit of blood and guts in it. I wouldn't bet that LBT as an anime would have alot of bloody gory stuff in it, but there's alway's that small chance

Lone Survivor

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If Land Before Time was anime I would definitley watch it. The only anime I watch is Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Now there's an idea. That would be interesting to see. I wish I kept up with animes so I knew more about them (I've really only seen Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Digimon, and Ginga Densetsu Weed, and that I haven't even finished. But I love the freestyle of anime).
And yes, Ghibli would not fail to blow our minds with an LBT anime. I like that idea XDD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein