The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Gang's Ages

Petrie. · 95 · 9538

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 27 2009 on  09:02 AM
I remember there being another more involved topic than these two. This has been discussed many times in other threads.
This must be the one you’re talking about (or else I’m missing something :wacko):
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=4341
It was in the “1988 Theatrical Release” forum; that’s why I didn’t notice it before.

Would it be feasible for all four of these threads (this one and this one being the other two) to be merged into a single topic, so that all the discussions of the gang's ages would be in one place?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
That sounds like a good idea. Won't cause any confusion that way.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends if the topics could seamlessly be merged with no odd jumps.  Like merging one talking about Littlefoot and Cera would have odd jumps.    Everyone is talking about mainly Cera, for example, then suddenly the talk is all about Littlefoot.  

If you feel the threads should be merged maybe you can pm one of the admin and see what they think.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Allow me to guess...in my opinion the Gangs Age rages between hatching - 11 yrs. (Human Years)

Littlefoot, and Cera could be between 8 - 10 yrs old because they were born on the same day and they seem to have more knowledge compared to the others.  As for Ducky we all can't be absolutely sure if she was born at the same time with Cera and Littlefoot (referring to the First Movie) that could have been a totally different swimmer from the start.   But if that was actually Ducky she would be 8 - 10 yrs old as well.

Petrie...Too much unknown information about this character but the way he communicates and depends on his friends for assistants he would be younger lets say 6-8 yrs olds

Now Spike...fact:  Spike was born in the first movie and his eating habits is what made him look so Big.  How can he possibly age after a few bites of grass? on top of all that he can barely talk, the only word he said was "Ducky" from Movie 4.  Therefore he is still a hatching (just guessing).  However, since 12 more movies was made after the first and the Episode "Through the Eyes of a Spiketail" that made him sound alot order than usual.  He is older than Chomper though I know that for sure.  I would say 3 - 5 years old.

Chomper:  He can't be older than Spike there's know way!  he was born in the second movie than all of a sudden he just grew at a advance rate?!  He is slightly naive just like any young child would be so he would definitely be 4 yrs. old  

Ruby:  Like Petrie a character with low information but I think 11 possibly 12 yrs of age suits her well.  Why?  she does seem to have more wisdom and understanding and she is slightly more mature that littlefoot and cera.

Anyway that my opinion.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I think there's a conflict in the ages, and it depends on which film you're trusting. If you follow the theatrical, its Ducky (we never see Petrie hatch so that's not debatable), but I think it's in LBT 5, Cera is claimed to be the oldest.
I feel most certain that Ducky is older than Cera in general. I feel that way because of the weather in the first movie. Right after Cera hatched, it started to rain, and did so for a while. Ducky, on the other hand, roamed about for a bit after hatching, and to the end of her scene, there is no rain.

As for the scene in the fifth movie, when both Cera and Littlefoot acknowledge her being the eldest, that may have certain significance to her “wanting to be the best” attitude that she portrays. First of all, there is the seniority rule, you know, where someone has or thinks to have seniority over those younger and is “higher“ than them therefore. Secondly, really little kids are more apt to believe things as they tend to have lesser mental guards that say, “That can’t be right,” or “I have my doubts about that.” Well, Cera flaunting the “fact” that she was older in the fifth movie certainly seems to portray that she does feel superiority with being the oldest. So, perhaps as previously mentioned here, Cera did lie to get the seniority status and thus be “better.”

It’s possible that even at a young age she felt the need to be the object of deference, and, being as young minds are more gullible, fathomed a very detailed and certain-sounding story that she is older than them and maybe even how she is as well. Having no reason to object, as the others don’t seem to worry about being better in any way, they agreed. Maybe something like, “Okay, sure. You’re the oldest. Thatës nice to know.” Now, nobody saw Petrie being born, so one may wonder why he never challenged the age issue. Well, that might be contributed to the fact that Petrie seems to be rather intimidated by her. I can list several instances if need be showing Petrie submit to her out of fear. So, maybe he never challenged her statement because he was afraid to challenge her.

The way I see it, this is how they are ranked in age, one being the oldest.
One- Petrie or Ducky
Two- Petrie, Ducky, or Cera
Three- Petrie, Cera, or Littlefoot
Four- Petrie or Littlefoot
Five- Spike

Still, my logic is usually illogical, so I wouldn’t take anything I wrote here too seriously. Later!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
The way I see it, this is how they are ranked in age, one being the oldest.
One- Petrie or Ducky
Two- Petrie, Ducky, or Cera
Three- Petrie, Cera, or Littlefoot
Four- Petrie or Littlefoot
Five- Spike

Petrie is the oldest because I said so! :D :p  No really, the logic makes sense...we don't know how old Petrie really is.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In general it seems a little odd that they would know about their exact age. Did they count the days from the day on they hatched? If so the first movie is rather explicit that Ducky, Cera, and Littlefoot share the same birthday. Who thinks that they counted minutes as well? :p
There seems to be some sort of calendar like orientation (suggested in the TV episode star day celebration) but considering the fact that they had been moving quite a distance from the places where the three hatched it doesn't seem plausible that they could fix the date and its anniversaries by the position of the bright circle to any landmark simply because they left the places where any such landmarks may be.
One down to earth matter of fact thing which is not suited for explanations within the story is that LBT 5 was the first movie made by Charles Grosvenor who has generally been careless about details or coherence with the earlier movies.
As for within the story explanations I agree with Michael. Cera is more likely than not to have made some boastful claim about being the oldest at some time earlier than LBT 5 and Littlefoot probably "bought" it (being out of naivety or the wish to avoid arguing that point) even if he may not have believed it. We can't know that for certain, so everyone can think of the own stories about this.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
PS: Here is my theory. Spike is the oldest :p
His egg was probably laid long before that of Ducky, Cera, Littlefoot, or Petrie. But since he felt so cosy and comfortable inside he decided not to crack through the shell and his parents left believing the egg would never hatch. So Spike remained inside for the time of his "life" in which he would have usually developed (among other) the ability to speak. When Ducky ultimately "forced" him out of the egg (his initial reaction was to get back in and it was Ducky rather than Spike who peeled away the shell) Spike made up for the long time he had spend inside the egg by growing more than five times his original size within the first few minutes after his birth (we never saw such a growth rate with any other character) :lol

PPS: In spite of the "sensible" arguments I am just kidding of course ;)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It's Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome in real time!

Bruton the Iguanodon

". We never saw this period for Spike though who didn't live through whatever time may have elapsed between Littlefoot's hatching and his first talking in the original movie. Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched.

Will someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase explain why?!!

Before I saw LBT 1 I thought Spike was the same age as the rest of the group.

But no, cause when the rest of the gang were their "normal age", I guess I'll call it, Spike wasn't even born!What the heck?! Now I had to revise my vision of the gang slightly, and now seeing that Spike is "The big baby" throughout the WHOLE SERIES (cause the characters haven't aged since movie 1) the gang feels...less equal. I don't like it!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkzgyp_sp...hing_shortfilms

But I would feel a little better, at least, if I knew what happened in the bushes from 0:51 to 0:58. WHY did the have to use an exterior shot at that important moment? WHAT HAPPENED?!

You know what? No. As good as the first film is, it's flawed. Spike should have been born and the gang's freakin age when they found him. I'm gonna say Spike IS their age in the sequels. If Litlefoot's mother can be blue in the sequels, Spikme can be the same age as the rest. I rest my case.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^You simply weren't lucky to see the first movie first. For most of us here our first encounter with LBT was with the original movie, so Spike being younger than the rest looks natural (Spike's rapid growth notwithstanding). Your first encounter was with a sequel, and you are surprised now. And that's OK. Imagine how surprised a person who's first encounter with LBT (this could apply to people born in 1999 and after) was the TV series would feel when watching the first movie.

It's only a matter of time before topics such as "Where are Ruby and Chomper?" start appearing in this subforum.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I've been working on a timeline of sorts for use in my fanfiction. I guess I'll post here what I have thought out so far, because it also has what I think the ages of the Gang are.

Year 1: Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie born.
Year 2: Sharptooth attack, Littlefoot's mother dies, Spike born, Great Valley found.
Year 3: Chomper born, Ali's first visit.
Year 4: Gang goes to Chomper's island.
Year 5: Pterano banished for 5 cold times
Year 6:
Year 7:
Year 8: Most or all of the TV series happens here.
<<End of cannon LBT. Just my fanfiction events after this point>>
Year 9: Littlefoot's Grandfather dies, the Professor comes.
Year 10: Pterano returns.

so, in the TV series, I think the Gangs ages are:

Littlefoot - 8
Cera - 8
Ducky - 8
Petrie - 8
Spike - 7
Chomepr - 6
Ruby - I don't know :(

I'm still working on that timeline, as there's a lot of events I haven't put in it yet. Does that make any sense?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Keep in mind that while LBT 2 may have easily played just a few days after the end of the original movie (judging from the opening) it would take a while for the entire valley to regrow after the fire in LBT 3. In LBT 5 it had to regrow again, but in that case it may not have taken so long as it was just the leaves. At the end of LBT 11 again enough time must have passed for a bald tree to regrow its leaves.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes every movie has flaws no matter how good it was.