The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney Plus

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, it's less than a month away.  Let's talk about this.

Disney+, Disney's own streaming service, will launch November 12th.  I, for one, am looking forward to it.  Even more so once I saw the Day One lineup.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/20913417/disney-plus-launch-lineup-marvel-star-wars-pixar-tv-shows-movies-simpsons-national-geographic

There is indeed controversy, especially with how much Disney bought out to make this happen.  However, as a fan of early Disney, I care very little about that.  As long as they bring me good content, I don't care.

I'll be getting it not long after it launches.  Likely on Day one.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

What about all of you?  Will you get it?  Also, what do you have to say about it?  Let's discuss.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We in the Netherlands got lucky and have had the service in beta for the past month and a half. It's been nice to have and works well enough. Had some issues signing up since everyone jumped on it day 1, but after a few days their mail delay was over and I could gain access. The only downside is that developers of apps for smart TVs haven't bothered making a Disney+ app yet, so I've only been able to watch things on my phone and on PC.

It has basically everything you expect it to have. So far I really only noticed one title missing (Brave), but it seems like they have added it since. The older Disney stuff is nice too! I like the categories they have and the availability of programs. Everything can be subtitled, which is not normally the case for cartoons and the like in Dutch, so I really appreciate that. You also have the possibility of downloading stuff to your mobile devices like you have with Netflix, for watching stuff on the go. All in all a pretty solid service, but I haven't used it much due to the lack of being able to watch easily on my TV. I probably won't continue my subscription until an app is available on there.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them! :D

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
You lucky Netherlanders. First you retain full availability to all the LBT movies on Netflix after other regions lose their access, and then you get early access to Disney+. It's not fair, I tell you. Not fair at all. :p

But anyway, yes, I'm excited for Disney+ as well. I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm going to access it, as I don't know if the PS3 that's connected to my TV will have a Disney+ option (like they do for Netflix), but if not, hopefully I can access some sort of Disney+ app on my computer. I don't know if I'll get it on the Nov 12th launch day specifically, but certainly sometime soon. I'm anxious to see The Mandalorian; again, being the Star Wars geek that I am.

Anything in particular on Disney+ that you guys are looking forward to?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You lucky Netherlanders. First you retain full availability to all the LBT movies on Netflix after other regions lose their access, and then you get early access to Disney+. It's not fair, I tell you. Not fair at all. :p

Well that's not entirely true. We used to have LBT 12 and 13 on Netflix only, and now they are all gone :/

But definitely lucky regarding Disney+ !

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh well, you were still luckier than us while you did have them. :p

Edit: Oh, you meant specifically the 12th and 13th movies alone. Nevermind then. I seemed to remember something about a member who lived somewhere else and had every LBT film on Netflix. I thought that was you, but perhaps I was mistaking you for someone else.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:27:35 AM by StardustSoldier »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah. As much as I enjoy Things Change, it was not the best selection haha!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Huh. I wonder who I was having that conversation with when they said they had all the LBT movies when no-one else did. I can't quite remember and now it's bugging me, lol.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think we did discuss Netflix and LBT at some point, though I do not recall being that person. Actually I went past all countries on my VPN to check what movies Netflix offered to find LBT 6, but no country seemed to have them (and many had none at all). I do wonder why LBT has been removed entirely though - is Universal thinking of joining another streaming service?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do wonder why LBT has been removed entirely though - is Universal thinking of joining another streaming service?

I did a quick bit of research.  If you have HBO Now, you can watch most of the LBT movies.  HBO Now has 1 through 10.  On top of that, you can watch a number of them on the channel HBO Family.  Looks like they have a good deal with HBO at this point.  At least as far as the US goes.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've always been pretty 'meh' about Disney Plus. I still am, to be honest. I was just never excited about it. I am more concerned about how this will impact my current streaming subscriptions. Knowing Disney, I might have to sub to their services just to watch any Disney movie or show, as it's likely Disney will pull all their titles from Netflix and Hulu.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do wonder why LBT has been removed entirely though - is Universal thinking of joining another streaming service?

I did a quick bit of research.  If you have HBO Now, you can watch most of the LBT movies.  HBO Now has 1 through 10.  On top of that, you can watch a number of them on the channel HBO Family.  Looks like they have a good deal with HBO at this point.  At least as far as the US goes.
Interesting! Sadly HBO here is only available if you have a specific internet/television provider, which I'm absolutely not interested in (their rates are high and speeds are meh). However it is good to know that the franchise lives on somewhere :)

For us, Disney has already pulled all their titles and licenses from Netflix, so you're right about that Dark. However I am similarly in the 'meh' camp. Might feel like watching a Disney or Marvel movie every now and then, but not quite often enough to warrant paying $7 a month for it. I do see a lot of value for people with younger kids, but since I don't fall into this category it's just not for me.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, it's out today and I have spent the last hour adding stuff to my Watch List.  I would have done more, but it seems the servers have slowed to a crawl, as expected with anything this big on the first day.  So I take a break for now.

I knew from the start that Disney would be the big one I would support.  There's just SO much here and I am liking what I see.  Now, not everything is here.  Due to certain contracts that need to be worked out or have to expire, some things won't come until later. (Coco won't come until the end of the month and The Mighty Ducks Movie won't come until next year are just examples here.) However, there is plenty to keep me entertained until then.  Not to mention certain things that shadow dropped onto here. (They seriously were not on the list of what was to be expected to air on the first day.)

I say I am going to enjoy this for a while.  Now, if you all don't mind, I'm going to see what else I can add this to besides my laptop.

See ya later! :wave

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finally signed up a few days ago. Already I'm impressed with the selection. First up on my to-watch list is The Mandalorian. :!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I had Disney+ for a couple of months. I watched “The Mandalorian” and my favorite sequel. “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride.” The problem I had was Disney+ doesn’t have enough content, its such a young streaming service it cannot compete with Netflix and other older streaming services.

Overall I found the experiance with Disney Plus to be positive, even when I can cancelled it. 

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith