The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Species name or "LBT Name" in LBT Fan Fics

Serris · 12 · 1397

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Please read this before posting or voting: Dialogue does not count. This is about descriptions.

I've noticed that some LBT fics use the LBT names and some others use the actual species name.

I use the LBT names and some constructed ones because it's a little jarring to see a long Latin name pop up in the middle of a action sequence.

Also, the depictions I have of the dinosaurs in my fic fly in the face of real depictions and it seems a little odd to use a real name for something that has been proven false.

Also, some of the dinosaurs don't actually exist. Besides, most of the unnamed dinosaurs in my story die; so who cares if the "sickleclaw" was a Troodon or a Achillobator or if the Swimmer was a Maiasaur or a Lambeosaurus?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I voted mix.  In both Sharptooth Valley and TDV I use some of the species names in the narrating, but not in the diolouge.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Humph, I created Dorsum Lapis, or Rockback, and I haven't been able to use it more because I simply haven't written anything else yet.

Mostly, though, I use "LBT"ish names.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If I did I"d use the lbt names, or make up a name that sounds like it could be an lbt name, and use a description for ones not seen often in movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I voted LBT names as I definitely agree with you that the scientific names sometimes do sound a little odd. I would not go so far as to say that the use of scientific names needs to be avoided in every case, but while one has the choice I would go for an LBT name and set a footnote if that name needs further clarification.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LBT names.  It does not feel like a pure LBT fanfic if scientific names are used.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I personally choose LBT names rather than species names, because it makes it more unique and genuine in LBT terms.

Now it will be very embarresing if I used the wrong term in either of my fanfics lol :rolleyes:

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I use LBT terms and at times create stuff that I think sounds like it could be in the movies, like although here I've started saying Cory, my Corytosaurus character, is a crested swimmer, in fan fics I've called him a Whistling Swimmer for the longest time since they are the one's that that are shown able to make that whistling noise, as a narrator said once

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does make sense.  Though Cory, Ducky and some other types of swimmers are all swimmers they would likely have a term for Ducky's type and other types of swimmers.  They'd not always use the term, not when talking about swimmers in general, but they would at times.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I personally use "LBT" names, and if the need truly arises, I go ahead and make some up. But even then I try to base those names on the dinosaurs physical features, or personality. That way it makes the most sense, or at least sounds unique.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I think that LBT names for LBT fanfics, except for explanation texts that are not part of the story itself, like to make ourselves an idea of how a certain character may look like.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'd say it depends on the circumstances. I've used both in the prose for my stories but I tend to lean moreso in favour of the LBT names purely for the relationship purpose. Keeps the story a little closer to LBT. Since my stories involve beings outside of the LBT universe, I use scientific names every so often but if it were to be completely encased within the LBT worldset, then I'd use 100% LBT references for sure ;)