The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New LBT Carry Case

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Screw what others think of LBT. You like it? Then watch it and don't care what they think. They're the ones missing out on something great.
I won't pretend not to be an LBT fan in public. If anyone asks me I won't deny it and I have been drawing LBT characters in places where others can see me doing it. However, I won't go around forcing my LBT enthusiasm down anyone's throat by wearing LBT T-shirts, marks reading "I love the land before time", or items which I may display in my personal collection but not brandish in public.
Members of this very community here have expressed dislike for some products, or characters, or even fans of particular products or characters. Members of this very community here have expressed their dislike of movies which they regard as "childish". For example, I could name members of this community (I won't give names though) who would definitely wrinkle their noses and hold prejudices against someone wearing a Barney T-Shirt (does purple dinosaur sound familiar to anyone?). By what right could we demand more tolerance about our enthusiasm for LBT than we are willing to give to enthusiasts of other franchises?
I am also a holder of prejudices.
If I saw some grownup with a Barney T-Shirt in public I would consider him no less strange than others would consider me as strange if I was wearing a Chomper T-Shirt.
My point is that I would not hide my LBT enthusiasm, but neither enforce it on anyone by walking around in or with LBT merchandise all the time. I could not blame anyone for considering me a weirdo (in a negative sense of the term) if I did. It is a good thing to go your own way and be an individualist, but it is a bad thing not to pay any attention at all to what other people will think of you.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Malte, just curious but would you consider an LBT background on a school laptop in the same manner you consider an LBT t-shirt worn in public?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess you won't be getting a Littlefoot tatto on your fore-arm in the near future then?  :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I won't get that tattoo, but I'm also generally opposed to the idea of a tattoo on my body; no matter the motive.
As for the laptop desktop I would not consider it on the same level as a T-shirt which the others can't avoid seeing. Personally I won't use an LBT desktop, but if anyone did I would not consider that forcing LBT down anybody else's throat. This is just my opinion though.
In any case if you do use such a laptop desktop in public you are likely to be asked by some people about it. If you don't have a problem with that (or with people talking about it behind your back) there is no reason for you not to use it I think.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will once again emphasize my attitude toward society's norms and stereotypes: As a true believer in freedom of self-expression and individuality, I don't give a rat's toot what folks think of me.  If they wish to laugh at me 'cuz I have an LBT desktop, that's their problem and not mine.  Having been the kid everybody loved to pick on, I learned long ago to just block it out, stand up for your convictions and be true to yourself.  I would rather get beat up for liking something rather than pretend to be a hater.  Anyhoo, this is really beginning to get off-topic...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it is important to find a good balance. Of course it is of major importance to be who you are and not pretend to be someone else (and this in my opinion would include picking a desktop of your choice). However, it is also harmful not to care at all about the opinions of others. Much as we would like to think of ourselves as the most tolerant people in the world, we are not and we should not expect a degree of tolerance for us which we wouldn't be willing to give ourselves. I brought up the example of Barney before, a character about which several members of our community have expressed outright disgust. I don't know that character except from some pictures.
But now imagine somebody coming towards you wearing a Barney T-Shirt, singing a Barney melody (if there are any), and talking about Barney all the time. I'm quite sure that in spite of our own LBT enthusiasm being regarded as weird by many most of us would keep some distance from somebody who came along in that manner. It would be the same if we came along in that fashion. We must give people a chance to get to know us without hiding our LBT interest but without pushing it forward all the time. If people know you (and like you) a bit they will be much more ready to accept LBT enthusiasm which would keep them at distance if it was pushed forward before they knew anything else about you.
We should not try to distance ourselves from anyone else by thinking that anyone will have a problem with our enthusiasm for LBT. If we do that WE are the ones contributing to make our own lives more miserable than they need to be. People are more ready to accept and possibly even cherish and in some rare cases perhaps even share our interest if we offer it along with other parts of our personalities in bits and pieces rather than slapping it through their faces like a wet towel.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I will once again emphasize my attitude toward society's norms and stereotypes: As a true believer in freedom of self-expression and individuality, I don't give a rat's toot what folks think of me.

That's honestly as dangerous as being a blind follower.  You should care because your life/future/job can depend on how you present yourself to individuals.  Ignoring the norms of society is a recipe for trouble.  You need to find a balance as Malte has said.

And all this talk about the purple dinosaur-wannabe makes me want to  :bang  :bang  :bang   :lol

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 16 2008 on  05:45 AM
That's honestly as dangerous as being a blind follower.  You should care because your life/future/job can depend on how you present yourself to individuals.  Ignoring the norms of society is a recipe for trouble.  You need to find a balance as Malte has said.

Uh, oh.  I guess I did not clarify myself too well once again :bang.  As far as a career and dealing with folks go, I understand and do practice restraint(or more appropriately professionalism) against being too blunt.  I know how to only express my good qualities when I need to.  I also do not try to impose my interests and opinions onto others; I'd rather debate different views than try to "convert" others to what I believe is right or wrong.  What I meant by not following society's norms is that I don't want to put up a front and be like everyone else for the sole sake of being liked.  Sure, laws are something to be followed in order to keep the peace, but norms like the one about carrying toy-sized pooches in big handbags just for the sake of being fashionable are downright ridiculous to follow <_<.  I like folks to accept me for the real and down-to-earth me, not a facade :yes.  That's the message I had intended to convey in my last post.  Sorry I misrepresented my outlook on norms :slap  :bang.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

Restored!

I tried searching online for this type of item, and I came up with nothing as well even more than a decade after this picture was taken. Hmm...

Tagging @Mumbling for obvious reasons... :p
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:36:32 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^I found one a lot like it.  It's not the exact item, but this shows it was a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Land-Before-Time-Discovery-Friendship/dp/B01M5ISS6S

Guess this has become one of LBT's rarer items now. :thinking

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

^^I found one a lot like it.  It's not the exact item, but this shows it was a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Land-Before-Time-Discovery-Friendship/dp/B01M5ISS6S

Guess this has become one of LBT's rarer items now. :thinking

I found the exact item in the photo I restored! :DD

Here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Before-Time-Dino-Riffic-Adventures/dp/B001AK3S7G

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...