The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

USB 3.0

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hi all.  I'm sharing this now, because I have equipment available that takes advantage of the latest usb specifications.  My laptop has usb 3.0 ports, and I recently bought a 3.0 external harddrive for taking to school and back when teaching.

Speeds are at least doubled easily, maybe tripled.  I've seen "up to 10x better" advertised, but that's not true for what I bought.  If the harddrive or object is powered by a/c current and not only the usb port, then maybe you can obtain those speeds.  The harddrive because its portable, only needs usb power, and I'm sure that slows it down.  Its still way faster than my usb 2.0 drives that plug in.

Is the new tech worth it?  If you constantly move GB of data, then yes, its worth it.  For the average user, not so much.  USB 2.0 is plenty fast for many things.  The only thing I believe usb 3.0 might be better at that usb 2.0 can't handle is super high definition videos at 1080p.  I've tried some 1080p videos on usb 2.0 and my new 3.0 drive and I see no difference whatsoever.  Playing through PotPlayer x64 build.

So that's the scoop on the latest stuff out there.  :exactly

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
USB 3.0 kicks some serious butt.  On my next master computer I build, I'm going to make sure to have USB 3.0 capabilities on the motherboard and case (screw back ports), DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, and dual SSD's in a RAID configuration running at the full 6Gbps.  The beast will start up in 8 seconds and I won't have to wait 3 whole minutes to transfer 6gb of data anymore. :lol Wicked. :angel