The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

As good as this film is...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
New users, new perspectives, my friend.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Not saying it ought not to be discussed, just suggesting for that discussion to be continued in the original thread to help avoiding repetition :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Isn't that old thread old enough that it was locked, though?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nope, threads are only logged if the topic of the thread is either over (e.g. former award voting sessions) or if they are escalating. Threads are not logged for just being old as very often some new elements can be brought up at a much later time (we have threads with posts stretching over many years). Here is the link to the thread on Littlefoot's motives to kill the sharptooth.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, part of this new direction is also asking if there was anything they'd change about it, so I don't see the need to go back to the old topic.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye, if we are discussing about how the respective scene could / would / should have been different (or not) rather than speculating about the existing scene this would be a different topic fitting into this thread :yes
So what would you change about the scene (if anything) WR?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
A little more clerity on just what Littlefoot wants to accomplish by killing the Sharptooth would have been nice. It's always disturbed me that the scene could be alternatively read to mean Littlefoot just wants revenge and is willing to use his friends to do it.
Now, I know that IS NOT the case. Paying back what Toothy did to Littlefoot's mother was just icing on the cake. I am firmly of the belief that Littlefoot was just afraid Sharptooth would find the Valley by following them or kill them before they even got there at the rate they were going.
However, I've honest to God met people who read the scene in the darkest ways. Their take on it ain't pretty.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Nobody has had anything to say about this? Honestly?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Perhaps because most of what could be said had been said in the thread specifically about the scene. I do agree that by using the original concept of letting Littlefoot find the Great Valley before the encounter with Sharptooth it would have been clearer to interpret as a necessity to prevent the Sharptooth from entering the Great Valley.
Other than that I personally don't see the interpretation of Littlefoot risking the lives of his friends for any reason other than necessity particularly prominent, but one can be of a different opinion of course.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
It was because they didn't want Sharptooth to enter the great valley. In the original ending Littlefoot was saying that they need to get rid of him because of this, but since the mom ghost scene from the early discovery of the great valley was moved here, Littlefoot couldn't have already known where the great valley is.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
And thus he would have been following Littlefoot's scent trail right into the Valley.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though that sort of thing would have likely happened before, not that Littlefoot may think of that being as young as he and his friends are in the first movie.  His idea does make sense from that standpoint, of dealing with the sharptooth so it would not follow them into the Great Valley, especially if he had been to the great valley and went back for them.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So in other words, in terms of cutting Littlefoot having been to the GReat Valley and gone back for his friends, it was one of the times Spielberg and Lucas should have let Bluth have it his way. How many minutes could it possibly have added, anyway?

• Spike
    • View Profile
What I always paraphrased him saying was somthing along the lines of "this guy has been folowing us for days, let's kill him" and I just always found it slightly numerous how that just sorta comes out of the blue, with no discussion leading up to it. So in a sence, it can qualify as murder. Let it be known though that I have Absolutly no problem with this, they have good reasons to kill the sharptooth, and if they had not killed him he might have gotten into the vally, but at that time he had not been doing anything to them. He was just walking around. Now I am not deffdnding the sharptooth, but I think that drowning him was alittle out of the blue harsh is all.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So what is your suggestion about what Littlefoot should have done in that situation?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, I think he was tracking them at the time. Didn't you notice how he kept sniffing the air?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye, so what should Littlefoot have done in that situation to evade being accused of risking the lives of everyone mainly for revenge (as had been suggested in the other thread about the matter)?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
bump

Aye, so what should Littlefoot have done in that situation to evade being accused of risking the lives of everyone mainly for revenge (as had been suggested in the other thread about the matter)?
To be honest I can't imagine that Littlefoot could get rid of him on his own...
The Gang defeated him together. Personally, I think that the scene should demonstrate that by holding on together they are strong, even strong( admittedly also smart)  enough to send this Sharptooth to dino heaven :lol
The only way I can think of where Littlefoot might defeat him on his own is to lure him into the deep water all alone, though it would have been by far more dangerous than their original plan...

Now my two cents to the original question( uhm... what is it  :bang look it up, Ducky!!!)
Ah yes...
On top of all things that could have made the original movie even better(I agree to many members here that it's the best movie of the franchise)doubtlessly are the outcutted scenes :exactly
Will we find a member here who doesn't want to see them??? :P: I bet we won't. Except we have fake fans on here  :smile
I guess our last hope is the 25th anniversary this year though I doubt we'll get what we want  :cry
Some other points that might had been included:
- explaining why Littlefoots Father isn't around
- Petrie hatching
- showing the fight of LF and Cera instead of showing Spike, Petrie and Ducky...

I personally really like the animation style although it's kinda old...
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I actually made a list a long time ago about what I'd change in this thread:

http://gangoffive.net/index.php?showtopic=10533

I still would make those changes in an instant if given the choice, but really, a lot of it is just nitpicking. The movie is pretty great as it is.

But I still would love the deleted scenes.  ;)

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
To my horror, Land Before Time 1 was the shortest with about 64 minutes. :blink:
If they can use the deleted scenes, it will be longer.  :p  :DD  :lol  :smile
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe