The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you reading?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm reading this book for a school assignment:

They let you choose your own book so long as you write reports on it.  This book is part of a 3-book series.  These are the best books EVER.  I first read it back in 5th grade (I was always at a very high reading level) so I decided to read it again.  I'm really surprised I was able to understand it back then.  It's at least college level reading, believe it or not.

Last trimester I chose all non-fiction computer books, but I ran into A LOT of problems when the instructions for the essay were to write about what types of figurative language the book used and to provide examples.  There weren't any!  Of course you have to write more than 1 report.  The other was about theme and motif.  Again, there weren't any.  I pretty much BS'd my way through them and got an A, but I used EVERY trick in the book in order to do so.  I do NOT want to go through that again. :bang

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
(BUMP)

I'm reading (again for the second time) one of the most beautifully written books, ie the story and words just flow, I've read in a while.  It's called The Heir to the Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier (it's fantasy and historical).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Recently I finished reading the most recent book by Dan Brown, "The lost symbol". While once again there are some interesting and well thought through riddles in the book I must also say that I am getting a bit bored by the static set of characters which Dan Brown seems to be using in almost every single one of his books. There always seem to be:
1. An old wise guy who is getting into trouble.
2. An attractive female relative of the old wise guy who act the damsel in distress part.
3. A bad guy who at first comes across as friendly and is a person of trust for the others.
4. A very unsympathetic member of the police who turns out to be on the good side eventually.

• Spike
    • View Profile
for a while i am probably going to be reading Stephan Kings Under The Dome. 1075 pages long.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Last night my sister gave me a book to read.  I finished it within two hours.  The book is called See Ya Simon by a New Zealand author (I presume because of the NZ use of language and the mention of the Maori culture).  It's about two friends:Simon who is seriously ill with Muscule Dystropy and his friend Nathan.  Nathan is a good friend to Simon.  Not only is he very brave, after all he knows that his friend will die soon but he treats Simon normal.  Simon on his part wants to be treated normally, he doesn't whine about life unfairs etc.  He just get's on with it.  He has a sense of humor which he uses to make things not only better for him but for those around him.  

The book has some humourous parts and reflective moments where you think how grateful that you should be to appreciate life and be grateful that you don't have anything like that.  And at the same time, those who have something seriously impending or just a general disability should be treated as how they want to be treated and that is normal.  

It's sad in the end, which I knew that would happen.  But I think the book reflects not only the struggles of the person who is at the center but those who are also affected.  And the book reflects this and also the uncertainty and uncomfortablness of society when faced with this such thing.  

Something to think about.

(Blimey, I've nearly written a whole essay on this.)

Edit

The above is meant in general.  So hope I didn't offend or anything, not very good with words. :bang

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@landbeforetimelover: Awesome book! :D I haven't read the Han Solo trilogy in awhile.

I'm revisiting Frankenstein for school. Mary Shelley had a creepy mind.

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
for my junior english class im reading Huck Finn but for fun i'm reading Brisinger

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
"The Legend of King Arthur", an anthology of well...exactly what it says on the tin.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A couple of books on the Spanish American War.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

Littlelady15

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Buson Haiku Shu

It's a poem book from Japan :3

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm currently reading an alternate history book called Luftwaffe Victorious it's by Mike Spick. It's proved to be interesting so far I'm on chapter 5.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One is called the Spanished American War, I'd have to go loookk at the other titles Malte
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I did a lot of reading today, as I had to wait during ice skating.

I read a book called the Wheel of Time, that my sister had allowed me to borrow.  I haven't gotten far but I've heard some good reviews about the series, so hopefully I will be able to form my own opinion.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
reading another sherlock holmes book by laurie King this is called locked Rooms
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
-Requirem
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows