The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Language in the Land Before Time

Serris · 10 · 1471

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I know that there are 2 KNOWN languages in the LBT universe: Sharptooth and Leaf-Eater.

But one of the things I'm wondering is this, are there other languages out there?

Also, Chomper learned to speak Leaf-Eater. Could this go the other way (Littlefoot learning to speak Sharptooth)? Can all dinosaurs potentially be bilingual or even learn more than 2 languages?

And would all herds have different dialects/accents or possibly even completely different languages?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt littlefoot could learn the sharptooth language. The sound they make is probably not even possible for the leafeaters (like us and lions :D )

I wonder if there are different languages though, I have no idea.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is at least one more language namely the squeaks of Mo's waterkind which seems to be understood by insects (swarming leafgobblers) as well as by crabs. It is not sure if the language of the sand crawlers in the TV series is identical with that one.
As for learning other languages, we do hear Cera make an attempt at Mo's language and during some of their sharptooth games sounds fairly similar to sharptooth roars are produced. Personally I consider it more likely than not that Ruby must have acquired some command of sharptooth way of talking in order to promise Chomper's parents to look after him.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
And in that TV episode about the crabs we saw the crabs had a language composed of clicking their claws at each other. That's the only language I think of that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I don't know how a non-crab could speak a claw-snapping language. Possibly by tapping their teeth, but as you only have one mouth, it'd be like sign language with only one hand.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There seems to be at least 4 languages, leaf eater, sharp tooth, Mo's kind, and Sand crawler.  There may well be more languages, but I think those are the only ones we've seen so far.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I believe Tickles and his herd have a mouse-like language of their own.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I forgot about that.  That could be another language.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Good point :yes
Indeed tickles squeaks seem more likely than not to represent an own language.
One thing I am wondering about is how Mo could now "landwalker language". None of his kin seemed to be able to do that. Ignoring the probable dislike of the producers to pay another voice actor for a scene of a few seconds we can only marvel at another miraculous acquisition of a foreign language in LBT. Or alternatively we can make up our own stories about how Mo may have learned it.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Mo has an obvious accent, this points to the fact that he may have been around leaf eaters enough (by swimming in the same areas that they drink from) to learn their language.

It is probable that his kin simply had not spent enough time around leaf eaters to learn their language.

And yes, Tickle's squeaks probably are yet another form of language.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe some of them could, but saw no reason at that moment to go over and talk to the gang.  Or one of the plot holes no one thought of at the time.