The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Monsters University

Pterano · 15 · 2255

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Anyone planning on going to see this in two months? I was very lucky in that I managed to get into an advanced screening this last Thursday, and saw the movie in its entirety. :smile It's a pretty good film! Good overall message (and one that spoke to me on a personal level), the humor is great (it's seriously one of Pixar's funniest movies), and the characters were interesting and well developed too.

I DID feel it suffered from some pacing issues a bit, and some unanswered questions, though. They could've probably benefited from making the movie about thirty minutes longer than its current running time.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
It's releasing in two months?! I had no idea, I'm really excited to see this film, thought it was coming out much later. You're now on my 'Jealous of' list.

I'm happy to hear it's a good film, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Mike and Scully met :D Does Randall get much screentime? He was always my favourite.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The tagline should be: "And if you thought the Care sequel was useless and unnecessary!"

Seriously, the fact that Pixar can't see that the movie that actually deserves a sequel is "The Incredibles" just shows how out of touch these morons are.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds interesting :)
I really liked and still like M.I so it think it's nice to have a sequel
Inactive, probably forever.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
it could be worse, we could have a snow white 2, a bambi 3 or an Austin powers 4, wait that last one is actually getting made. suggested subtitle- mike myers is broke and needs cash fast'
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Apr 25 2013 on  04:05 PM
It's releasing in two months?! I had no idea, I'm really excited to see this film, thought it was coming out much later. You're now on my 'Jealous of' list.

I'm happy to hear it's a good film, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Mike and Scully met :D Does Randall get much screentime? He was always my favourite.
Randall's my favorite too! :DD Unfortunately he doesn't get much screen time in this, but he features pretty heavily in the first third of the movie or so... and his portrayal is just awesome. :DD He's this nice, lovable guy that you just totally aren't expecting. XD

And yeah, overall, this is definitely a must-see. I haven't been too impressed with Pixar's last two entries, but this one certainly helps redeem them. Plus there are just SO many things they can do with the world they created for MI, as it's literally massive.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I'm pretty confident that even if he's there briefly, we might shed some light on his behavior in the original movie...namely:

I think he might still have some pal-zoning issues.

I was a huuuuuge Randall fan when I was little. I got a toy of him when he was little. And being the OC-maker I am, for some reason I decided he had two little sisters. I remember one of them was named Ramona. The other's at the tip of my tongue...it started with an "F", I think.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep, that scene sort of appears in the film, though by that point he's ditched his glasses. While I can't post public spoilers, I can certainly PM you more info if you're curious. :)

And yes, I still pretty am a huge Randall fan myself. :DD I just had to go see an advanced screening when I was presented with the opportunity, and while I can't say it's FULLY the movie I've been waiting for for the past 12 years, it's still a really great movie. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I never really got into the first movie and I don't really have any interest in seeing this one.  

I'm still waiting for a sequel to The Incredibles or A Bug's Life.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Mrrrrrrr, I reaaaaallllllly want an A Bug's Life sequel...though that would be difficult since a bunch of their actors have died...at least four. Johnothan Harris, Madeline Khan, Phillis Diller, and Joe Ranft

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ That and it's also Pixar's lowest rated film, for whatever reason. I still enjoy it, all the same, though haven't seen it in awhile. I think I like MI so much because it was such a cool concept and created a whole other world that has so much potential to be further explored. :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
As a fan of Pixar, MI, and Randall, I definitely want to see this and I am quite jealous that you were able to see it earlier Pterano. :nod

My initial fear is that the film is going to put way too much empahasis on the frienemy relationship between Sully and Mike, making other characters more one dimensional, stereotypical background characters than anything else. I have no problem with characters being in more supporting roles, but at least still make them interesting.

With Randall, I'm worried that they will make him too unrealistically sweet that you could never see the gradual shift between who he was and who he turned out to be, or they just make him a slimy character through and through. AND I'm afraid that he's going to get a brush off, making him just a plot point character. And even if Pixar DOES a good job with with Randall's character arc, it's going to make me sob in the theater.

Oh god, don't even get me started on A Bug's Life or The Incredibles. Honestly, I think a prequel would be interesting for A Bugs Life, especially if they made it more like a slice of life kind of story. Because really, a sequel to A Bug's Life, I'm afraid it would borderline on lazy fan-ficcy material. I mean...they're going to make Finding Dory thanks to the popularity of her character.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You don't have to worry about your first concern, Rat_Lady. :) As it turns out, no character felt one-dimensional to me, and all get their moments to shine, even if they're brief. :yes While it does focus on the evolving and devolving relationship of Mike and Sully, they are not the sole focus of the film. :yes

As for how they treat Randall, the over sweetness and sliminess aren't too apparent. My complaint with him was really lack of screen time than anything else. Fortunately he's not just a plot point character. They definitely needed to give him more screen time though, as we barely get to see him in the middle of the film. They could've gone a bit more in depth with him as well, and this movie really should've been a half hour longer in my opinion, but ah well, c'est la vie. They don't treat him negatively, which is a good thing, as that could've easily happened in this film. There are two characters who are definitely supposed to garner audience scorn, and neither of them are Randall. :)

Ah yes... Finding Dory... that one I have reservations about... but I guess we'll just have to see... at least with the Monster World they have tons to play with, as it's such a vast place. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This movie is very nice :lol Finally got around to watch it and I must say that I enjoyed it just as much as the original movie :yes
Inactive, probably forever.