The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

In the land before time

Amaranthine · 2536 · 159813

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Sparky nods softly at Guido's inquiry of it 'fooling' her system, a bit more focused on the bar now that she was holding it in her claws.

"Minemineminemineminemineminemine...." She muttered softly to herself, struggling to get the wrapper off as the others spoke of her and her chocolate. She'd had some experience manipulating objects with long claws (both from her time as a dino and from her human life, fooling around with her Freddy Krueger glove). Yet, there was just some things that were impossible, and this was one of them. Her claws simply couldn't grip the end in a way as to open it and the wrapper itself wasn't making things any easier.....It shall suffer her wrath for daring to with-hold the chocolate from her!!

Growling softly (a surprisingly sharptooth-sounding vocalization; it certainly supports Pangy's inner analogy of comparing her to a starving sharptooth in regards to chocolate!!), Sparky tried a different method in grasping the bar tightly as best she could, and yanking at the end with her teeth, giving head-shakes several times like a shark would do to rip off a piece from a large carcass....except perhaps hers was a bit more savage... It took several tries (and some more playful, but mostly frustrated growls) before the wrapper gave in and released the beautiful piece of holy chocolate.

"Gimmegimmegimmegimmegimme..." she made another mumble as she peeked into the wrapper to make sure her chocolate really was free. It was! Beaming happily at the accomplishment, she stuck the tip of her tongue into the wrapper for a sample before using her teeth to scoot out pieces, almost tearing the wrapper in her eagerness to get at the poor hapless chocolate. Although Pangy's statement of whether it'll be harmful to her or not made her hesitate for a second. What if her dino body can't take it?

"Oh well," she spoke aloud mostly to herself. "Whatever doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable." With that, she continued nibbling her chocolate whilst sticking close the others as they began getting ready to move out, glancing back to make sure Ozzy and Strut were still on the 'leash'.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Miles made sure to re-blouse his pants over his boots as they moved out. One could never tell just what sort of creepy-crawlies would await the traveling group outside of the Valley's safe walls. Just that morning, he'd had the shock of his life when he almost put his hand down on a giant centipede when climbing through the Smoking Mountains on the way to the Valley. He shivered, recalling the experience.

"So which way do we go?" he asked Pangaea as he walked.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
“We follow Littlefoot until we reach the river we're looking for,” Pangaea replied to Miles as he followed the longneck. “After that, we just follow the water.”

--------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the Mysterious Beyond…

Red Claw had been silent for a long time, staring off into space with eyes that could not see. Screech didn’t know what was going through his leader’s head, but he strongly suspected that the big sharptooth was devising yet another outrageous, twisted scheme for revenge; this time not just directed at a single Great Valley inhabitant, but every single one who had borne witness to his failed attack last night. Screech couldn’t wrap it around his head how Red Claw could even know which individual dinosaurs those were. Even with his unparalleled sniffer, he couldn’t possibly have counted and kept track of every single leafeater in the chaotic battle, could he? Then again, it was becoming clearly evident that Red Claw’s sanity was beginning to lose traction. Screech had no idea what his leader would order them to do next, and the anticipation was grating on his nerves.

Screech felt a twinge of both relief and dread when Red Claw finally spoke. “Boys,” he thundered, “I have a new task for you. I know what our next course of action will be.

Here it comes, Screech thought, By the sky circles, I hope it’s something reasonable.

We are going back into the Great Valley.

GOF admins would disapprove of Screech’s next thoughts being translated into Leafeater, but if he had spoken them aloud, they would have sounded something like “gralfakragglenargngurshrik!”

Red Claw went on, oblivious to Screech’s internal outburst. “This time, however, we will attack with far more stealth and strategy.” He brought his head down to Screech and Thud’s level and grinned wryly. “Actually, what I should have said was that you will be going back into the valley.

If Red Claw hadn’t been blind already, the look Screech was giving him just might have burned out his eye sockets. As it was, Red Claw continued talking in blissful ignorance.

This time, however, you will not attack anything. In fact, you will not even let yourselves be seen. Your job will be to determine the locations of each of our enemies’ nests. You will return to me and report your findings, and at our next opportunity, we will sneak into the valley again and slaughter those leafeaters as they sleep. By the next morning, my revenge will be complete, and all remaining leafeaters will know and fear me.

As angry as he was at Red Claw, Screech couldn’t help but shudder at his words. Red Claw was talking like…he didn’t know what, but not like a sharptooth. Screech knew he was vengeful, but going so far as to call leafeaters enemies? To a sharptooth, the word ëenemy’ implied a creature that actively threatened your existence; almost always another sharptooth. Leafeaters were prey; no sharptooth would call a leafeater an enemy, or even a rival. Moreover, while almost any sharptooth would certainly take an opportunity to kill another dinosaur it considered its enemy, no sensible sharptooth would go out of its way just for the sake of killing. Sharpteeth killed for food, and in defense of themselves, their territories, and their families. There were even some sharpteeth who, when bored or angry, would take out their frustrations on some small, weak creature foolish or careless enough to cross their path at the time. But Red Claw’s plan involved leaving his home, risking his life and his packmates’, to kill dozens of leafeaters who he happened to hold a grudge against. As much as Screech enjoyed terrorizing other dinosaurs, this just seemed wrong to him. If Red Claw planned to kill all those leafeaters in one night, he would have no time to eat the corpses. Surely he would be driven out of the valley come morning, and all that meat would be left to rot away. It wasn’t just dangerous and irrational, it was wasteful.

Red Claw,” Screech began, “I don’t think this is a good ideaó

DO AS I SAY!!! UNLESS YOU WANT TO SUBSTITUTE FOR THOSE LEAFEATERS!!!

Screech reeled from the volume of the huge sharptooth’s voice. “All right, all right! We’ll do it!” he said. (Had anyone asked him later, Screech would have denied that his voice came out as a whimper right then.)

Good,” Red Claw said, his tone completely calm once more. “The two of you may return here when you need food, but not before you acquire information on the sleeping places of the valley dwellers.

Fine,” Screech said, rolling his eyes. Red Claw wasn’t just becoming less rational, he noticed; his temper was becoming less stable, his mood swinging from calm to enraged in the blink of an eye.

Just one question,” he said. “Which leafeaters do you want us to find?

Red Claw’s expression darkened once more. ”Start with the families of the six youngsters who have been tormenting us these past few cold times,” he growled. “Again, do not kill them yet. And do not allow your presence to become known.

Got it, got it.” Though Screech felt uneasy about Red Claw’s plan, his instinct for self-preservation was stronger than any moral issues he might have had with his orders.

Sighing, Screech gulped down one last lump of meat from the leafeater carcass in front of him, and turned to leave. “Come on, Thud,” he grunted, “Let’s find ourselves a way into the Great Valley.

(OOC: Okay, FlipperBoidSkua, you're free to take Thud now. :))

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Daniel smiled and gave Sparky a quick nod, showing that he was ready. "SO long as I don't have to fly all the way there, I'm ready!" He said, standing up and puffing out his chest. "Then again...there's less trees to run into. Hmm, maybe I'll give it a try." He said, not more speaking to himself as he sat and clicked his claws together in thought.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sparky grinned as Danny contemplated, still nom-nomming her chocolate whilst telling herself to save some for later.... Psh, like that's ever gonna happen!

"If you crash, know I'll always be here to catch ya!" Her thoughts telling her to stay with the group as they followed Littlefoot, she shivered in contained spazziness. "Ooooo, I can't wait to get to the Big Water!" She looked behind herself at the two Egg Stealer 'hostages'. "You two doing alright?" she asked in as kind and gentle (and non-threatening, despite her occasional growls at the chocolate whenever it became uncooperative) voice as she can.

((OOC: Yayz!! I get to play Thud now!! Just give me a bit of time to type up a good post for him!! BTW, are Screech and Thud brothers in this RP?))

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
“We’ll be doing better once we get these bloody leaves off,” Ozzy grumbled.

“Actually, Oz,” piped Strut, “I think I’m starting to like this thing. It’s kind of soothing, having your eyes covered.”

“Oh, shut it, grass-gobber.”

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 22 2012 on  08:47 PM
((OOC: Yayz!! I get to play Thud now!! Just give me a bit of time to type up a good post for him!! BTW, are Screech and Thud brothers in this RP?))
(OOC: I'm not sure. :unsure: I didn't know whether or not that was common fan theory, so I tried to write them in a way that would leave it ambiguous as to whether they were brothers or not. If they're brothers in your headcanon, then we can do that if you like. :))

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Miles glanced at the two Egg Stealers quizzically.

"Where on Earth did you find them?" he asked Pangaea, splashing cool water onto his face from the river they were following; it was a hot day.

(OOC: Around when will they be stopping for the night?)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sparky giggled softly at the amusing exchange between the two brothers before looking to Miles. "They snuck into the Valley and ran into us." Sparky answered for Pangy. Literally! her mind went, remembering her first meeting. At least now, they can't run away; she let out a soft evil snicker at the thought.

((OOC: Okay! They be brothers now, as my mind is too used to it. And most fanfics I've read that features them has them as related in some way, or they turn Screech into a girl and make them mates. I'm more inclined for the former  :lol  ))

Thud exhaled heavily through his nostrils in an effort to contain his own sigh before he stood up to follow Screech, hardly bothering to shake off the light coating of dirt on his belly scales. He's kept out of the whole exchange, preferring instead to gnaw on a bone whilst trying not to show just how much anxiety he was going through. Red Claw was certainly going crazy and deep inside, he actually feared for his life, either from Red Claw's insane schemes or from the increasingly temperamental sharptooth himself.

He knew there was next to nothing he can do to help Red Claw gain at least some of his reasonings back, seeing how Screech's efforts were bearing no result. In fact, that rose another issue that Thud worried about and once they were out of earshot from their mad associate, he piped up.

"Screech? I think it would be best if you thought a bit more about your words before speaking to Red Claw. You're going to get us both killed here!" To emphasize his words, he gave the blue Fast Biter a look that clearly communicated in no certain terms: 'Stop arguing with the giant insane sharptooth that can end our existence in one bite!!!!' He hasn't failed to notice his brother's growing hostility towards Red Claw and although he can understand the reasons behind those hostilities completely, he was worried it'll get outta claw and end quite horribly. In fact, he was almost certain that Red Claw was going to kill Screech during that single outburst and felt quite a bit of relief when that wasn't the case. Though just how long will such tolerance last between the two...?

((OOC: I hope I did good on Thud's first post :unsure: ))

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Rob shook his head as the two egg eaters started to bicker with each other. "You know you two better calm down or else this trip is going to be very difficult." He then looked at Littlefoot. "Are you sure you remember the way?"

"Sure I do," Littlefoot answered. "I wouldn't be able to forget this even if I tried."

"You wouldn't have needed to even go this way if you hadn't gone to that water in the first place," Threehorn scolded. "You kids made us really worried."

"I know, and I'm really sorry," Littlefoot apologized. "We had no idea that earth shake was gonna happen."

"We;; what's done is done," Rob added. "That was in the past, and now we have to worry about getting these two out of here in one piece."

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
"So what kind of dangers can we expect out here?" Miles asked, glancing nervously at the water. "I've done my share of reading on prehistoric life, and I know that water's generally a pretty unfriendly place, to say nothing of the land."

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
“Well, uh…I saw a pretty big, toothy fish in the water the other day,” Pangaea said in response to Miles’ question. “Pretty sure it was a gar, and I know those guys can get huge. So be careful of anything that looks like a floating log or big stick.”

He tilted his head in thought and began absently counting on his fingers. “Other than that, maybe bellydraggers…freshwater sharks…semiaquatic and/or thirsty sharpteeth…snapping turtles…mosquitoes…perhaps even a swimming sharptooth with a poor sense of direction.”

Guido shuddered. “Stop answering him!” he squawked, “I’m never gonna be able to go near water again if you keep that up.”

“Surprisingly, I must agree: you’re not making this ëBig Water’ of yours sound any more appealing,” Ozzy added.

Pangaea shrugged. “Well…my thought was that we would generally try to stay out of the water. In any case, I’m just imagining a worst case scenario.” He motioned to Littlefoot. “I mean, Littlefoot and the gang took this same path to get to the Big Water, and the only real threat they ran into was a swimming sharptooth that technically was only in the river by accident. Optimistically, I should think that this’ll be a pretty safe trip.”

--------------------------------------------------

Screech looked indignantly at Thud. “All I said was that I didn’t agree with his idea!” he said defensively. Then he exhaled with a sound that was half growl and half sigh. “No, you’re right,” he grumped. “Red Claw is losing his mind. If we contradict him in the slightest, he’s liable to kill us. If we don’t die from following his orders first.

Screech turned his head forward, gazing contemplatively at the ground as he walked.“The only remotely good thing about going along with this idea is that it will buy us time to think…

Quote from: Fyn16,Sep 23 2012 on  10:05 AM
(OOC: Around when will they be stopping for the night?)
(OOC: It's hard to say; it's currently around noon in the RP, and there will probably be a lot of things happening before nightfall. I definitely plan on having them stop for the night at least once before they reach the Big Water, but that's all I can say for certain. We can talk about it more in the discussion thread if you like.)

[/i]
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 23 2012 on  10:36 AM
((OOC: I hope I did good on Thud's first post :unsure: ))
(OOC: Don't worry; you did great. :D I did, however, think of some ideas for how Screech and Thud could have opposing viewpoints on their partnership with Red Claw that might make their interactions more interesting, which I was hoping we could discuss at our next opportunity; before your next post with Thud even, if it was convenient.)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sparky tried to keep in her excitement at the whole list of things Pangaea was assuming they had the potential to meet. Her tail jerked in spazzy twitches as the only outward sign of her restraining efforts.

"I'm probably the only one actually hoping to see a sharptooth." she muttered, as if timid to voice such a thing as it would no doubt contradict with the other's viewpoints. "I would certainly like to meet one before having to go back home."

If we ever get back home... her mind piped up and she visibly saddened a bit, wondering how her babies are doing without her.

((OOC: Sure, Pangy! We can discuss on the discussion thread, or by PM. Whichever you prefer! :D ))

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
"Ow, dang it!" Miles suddenly cried out as he collapsed to the ground, sides heaving. He grabbed at a handful of grass and ripped it out of the earth. Whatever was happening to him was obviously quite painful, like a charlie horse in every muscle in his body.

"Pangaea!" he groaned, becoming immobilized, "Sparky! Someone help!" Now things were really getting weird. His skin was slowly becoming rough, and the hairs on his arms were retracting back into his skin. Miles had a feeling he knew what was coming next.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Incidentally, at the same time Sparky was thinking about sharpteeth, Pangaea was thinking, Personally, I hope we do get to see some of those creatures I mentioned…without getting eaten, of course. …I’ll bet Sparky’s thinking the same thing.

And then Miles collapsed.

Pangaea had no clue how to react. “What’s wrong?” he asked anxiously. “Are you okay? What happened?”

A hundred panicked thoughts flew through Pangaea’s head: Oh no, oh no, oh no, how can something go wrong this soon? We haven’t even left the valley yet! Is he going to be okay? What’s happening to him? Is he having an allergic reaction to something? A seizure? Is that even possible in this universe? Oh no, he wasn’t bitten or stung by something venomous, was he? There’s no way we can get an antivenom here! What can I do? I have no idea what to do! He could be dying, and all I can do is just stand here being useless! Oh, please don’t die on us! Don’tdiedon’tdiedon’tdiedon’tdie…

Then after a few seconds of looking at Miles with a feeling of utter helplessness, Pangaea realized what was probably happening. He felt a surge of relief, though it was accompanied by concern. Oh…he did mention having ëanother him’, didn’t he? But geez, that looks uncomfortable… C’mon, you sadistic inexplicable transdimensional forces that randomly turn people into were-dinosaurs, don’t make it painful for him! Or at least let it be over quickly!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Miles shut his eyes and gritted his teeth as his skin turned a vibrant, scaly orange. His clothes seemed to melt into his body, and spines grew out of his upper back and (now extending) neck. Now, however, things were going a bit more smoothly. The pain was receding, and he was slowly starting to finish his transformation.

When the last of the pain was gone, he stood there- a much different Miles than before. He was, in fact, the same Amargasaurus that he'd transformed into upon his arrival in the desert. Now, though, being in this new body felt good. He grinned.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my party trick. I just wish I could control it."

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Threehorn was more or less surprised by the transformation, but for some reason he didn't go into an outburst like he usually did. Instead, he just watched it happen. It seemed he was by this point used to it after the other humans transformed as well. "Now we have another one. Wonderful. At least you don't look hurt."

"Well look at it this way," Littlefoot added. "He's not stuck in a dangerous form like Rob's fast biter body." The moment Littlefoot said those words he gasped and realized his mistake. "Oops."

"Crap," Rob muttered. He had hoped his fast biter form would have been a secret during his part of the journey, but now the two egg eaters knew about him. "This isn't going to end well."

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
"Stuck?" Miles asked, suddenly nervous, "you mean I could end up like this forever?"

He swished his tail around, getting a feel for it. "I guess there are worse things. Let's keep going, shall we?"

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sparky pretty much had the same panicked reaction as Pangaea had when Miles had collapsed; in fact, she was reaching for her cell phone pocket before she realized that, being a dinosaur in the LBT world, she didn't have a cellphone pocket, or her cellphone.... Plus she certainly reaching 911 from here would be next to impossible....

But seeing Miles fine in his new dinosaur form, she breathed a sigh of relief. Although that relief was short lived when Littlefoot piped how Rob was a Fast Biter. Immediately, she casted a worried look to the two flighty Egg Stealers. Don'tfreakoutdon'tfreakoutdon'tfreakout!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Miles winced at Rob's words as well. He hadn't been here for long, but if what he'd assumed about Ozzy and Strut so far was correct, they'd potentially be in for a bit of a struggle. He took a step back, and tensed his legs, ready to react if one of the Egg Stealers tried to flee.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Unsurprisingly, given that they were, in every sense, completely in the dark about what was going on, Ozzy and Strut were the most confused out of everyone when Miles started transforming. But when they caught the words “dangerous” and “fast biter” in the same sentence coming from Littlefoot, their confusion turned to fear.

“Wait a minute, did he say ëfast biter’?” Strut asked nervously. “There’s a fast biter here? Where is it? Where? Don’t let it hurt us!” His panic rising, Strut began rapidly  turning his head in all directions, instinctively searching for the threat even though his eyes were covered. At the same time he began to nervously turn around in place. Unfortunately, his hands were still clutching the vine, and as he spun he began to inadvertently wind the vine around himself.

Ozzy, for his part, was showing similar signs of alarm. One fact about Ozzy that he would be loath to admit was that, in spite of the aggressive attitude and tough faÁade he put up, he was just as much a scaredy-egg as his brother, and equally terrified of sharpteeth. And so he too was nervously whirling around, uttering fearful yelps of “Fast biter?!” and demanding to know where it was.

Oh great, I almost forgot they hadn’t seen Rob yet, Pangaea thought as he rushed to pacify the egg stealers.

“No, guys, calm down! He’s a friendly sharptooóow!” Strut’s blindly swinging tail smacked Pangaea in the back of the head, knocking him flat on his face. Being quite short, he didn’t have far to fall, and was unhurt, but as he lay there, irritably drumming a set of clawtips against the ground, he muttered under his breath, “I’m beginning to wonder if blindfolding them was really worth the trouble.”