The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What makes a "Hot Topic" a Hot Topic?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I thought over this while I was looking at some of my posts I made. There were some topics I made, practically no one posted in, others, A LOT of people posted them.

I'm just wondering, why is that some topics are more attractable than others? What do you think a Hot topic would consist of?

If what I just said doesn't make any sense to you, just tell me, people sometimes just don't understand what I am trying to say...:p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
A topic automatically becomes "hot" after a certain number of posts.  I think when it reaches 16 posts it becomes "hot".  Why some topics are red hot and some are a duller red hot is because the hot topics you haven't viewed yet are bright red and the one's you have viewed are dull red.

To get a topic that will attract lots of people, you must make a topic that will attract a lot of people because they will get something to gain by posting or viewing the topic.  Whether they gain entertainment, a satisfaction of curiosity, or something such as material that may benefit them now or in the future, you must get their attention.  Sometimes, topics become hot because lots of people click on them just because they don't understand what the topic is about.  I am NOT suggesting making confusing topic titles so people will click on your topic to figure out what the heck it's about, but that is one reason why topics become so hot.  Only experience will allow you to create hot topics.  If you post something that people can't really respond to or something that most people don't have common grounds on, you can't expect it to ever become hot.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 17 2008 on  08:17 PM
A topic automatically becomes "hot" after a certain number of posts.  I think when it reaches 16 posts it becomes "hot".  Why some topics are red hot and some are a duller red hot is because the hot topics you haven't viewed yet are bright red and the one's you have viewed are dull red.
I don't mean that in literal terms, such as "How does a topic become of Hot Topic" I mean why do some topics end up being hot topics while others don't. I'm just wondering why a certain topic becomes more "popular" than others. Such as, why would people want to talk more about Asbergers Syndrome than about an Opera Singer such as Paul Potts(This isn't me being random I did write a topic about an opera singer I thought was pretty awesome) But that's what I was trying to say.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
why would people want to talk more about Asbergers Syndrome than about an Opera Singer such as Paul Potts(This isn't me being random I did write a topic about an opera singer I thought was pretty awesome)
In my case the reason would be ignorance I don't know anything at all about Paul Potts. :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^^ Ditto ^^^

I really don't think that opera is all that popular around here.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah, sorry, I'm not an opera fan.  Phantom of the Opera perhaps, but that's more a musical than a true opera.

I know full well when posting things in computers or the music section which core of members will reply to the topic with 85% confidence because certain people like that stuff and will talk about it.  100% of the time if I write something in the music section Tim will reply to it. :p  Doesn't matter what it is.  Likewise I also wouldn't expect a huge turnout if I made a topic about Watership Down because I think only about three people here besides me are Watershippers.  Just don't expect everything you post to be an instant hit.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I got nothing against Operas (I've been to a few), but with few exceptions Opera singers don't become famous enough so people from all around the world could say anything sensible about them.