The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 5 VHS vs DVD inconsistancy

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey gang!

Listen, does any one have LBT 5 on VHS and/or DVD? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that one format lacks a minor bit of content compared to the other. When Littlefoot and the gang meet up with Chomper's parents and Littlefoot asks "Gosh, I wonder what they're saying?" After Cera's usual mocking response, this is where the difference lies. The VHS version supplies subtitles as a means of translating what Chomper's folks talk/roar at him regarding the gang's arrival. In contrast, these subtitles are removed from the DVD version. Wonder why they didn't carry them across? It can't have been that much of a budget buster just to shift over some text from one format to the other right?  :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hmmmmm.  I must admit that I've never noticed this before.  I have LBT 1-9 on VHS and 1-13 on DVD.  Maybe once I find my VHS tapes I'll take a look. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have the double sided version of the 5th movie, the 2nd movie on 1 side and the 5th on the other.   It does have the subtitles of Chomper and his folks talking to each other.  I don't know if the earlier version which has just 1 movie per dvd does or not.

The first subtitled like that appears on the version I have of the scene you mentioned is: "You had us worried sick, Chomper!"

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I had the VHS a long time back, and there were certainly subtitles for the sharptooth language.  Wouldn't make much sense to remove them for later re-releases.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Feb 11 2009 on  12:02 PM
Hey gang!

Listen, does any one have LBT 5 on VHS and/or DVD? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that one format lacks a minor bit of content compared to the other. When Littlefoot and the gang meet up with Chomper's parents and Littlefoot asks "Gosh, I wonder what they're saying?" After Cera's usual mocking response, this is where the difference lies. The VHS version supplies subtitles as a means of translating what Chomper's folks talk/roar at him regarding the gang's arrival. In contrast, these subtitles are removed from the DVD version. Wonder why they didn't carry them across? It can't have been that much of a budget buster just to shift over some text from one format to the other right?  :lol
Yup there were subtitles. If I remember correctly even, our versions were subtitled in Dutch. On the VHS ones the name of the sequel also was written in Dutch. :) (instead of the original english title which all the dvd's have)

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, well I don't have the VHS of 5, and I was little when I rented it (do have DVD) so I haven't noticed, like stated I think the subtitles were on the DVD but this does seem to be a recurring problem as I have the VHS and DVD set of the Orginal Trilogy to Star Wars and the DVD's seem to not even care to translate the other creatures languages, like Jabba in the added scene of IV.

Wonder why they do that? Just forget? Like you said, it can't be that much of a budget thing...I don't think

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's my guess.  The LBT 5 DVD was made when DVDs were just starting out.  As such, Universal didn't know how to do certain things, plus they were more expensive to make then they are today.

So maybe at the time it was a money problem.  Today, that wouldn't be a problem. :)

AnimeLover

• Chomper
    • View Profile
The VHS Release Of The Land Before Time 5 Was Released In December 9 1997 And The DVD Release Of The Land Before Time 5 Was Released In April 1 2003.