The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Star Wars: Episode IX

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Saw it with some friends from work. Without spoiling anything, it was a pretty awesome end to the Skywalker saga.  I was surprised by some of the cameos too. 

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I plan to see it soon. Hopefully sometime next week.
:PAli

Edit: I have purchased my ticket. I will be seeing it this coming Wednesday. What a wounderful way to start the new year!
:)littlefoot :duckyhappy :)petrie
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:02:27 PM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So I did indeed end up seeing the movie on New Year's Day. All in all I thought it was pretty good. Not my favourite Star Wars movie, but still a satifying finale to the Skywalker Saga, and I Iook forward to what comes next in the world of Star Wars.

More detailed thoughts:
Spoiler: ShowHide
I was in favour of the story decision to have Palpatine return. Even though he'd been defeated before, it just felt natural to me to have him come back for one last stand, tying the three trilogies together and establishing him as the ultimate villain of the Skywalker Saga. Although I don't think his return should have have been revealed right at the beginning. The "Is he or isn't he back?" would've worked better as a creepy mystery that was slowly built up over the course of the film, and it would've given a bit more 'Oompf' when he finally is revealed.

My biggest complaint is that the film felt rushed and crammed, with not enough downtime between the action scenes. It should've been an extra 30, or even 45 minutes longer to give things more room to breathe. Admittedly, this is part of the reason why I consider the film to be a step down from the original trilogy, as well as Force Awakens and Last Jedi. As an example, I liked the twist that Hux was the Resistance spy; I certainly didn't see that one coming! But then he gets disposed of almost immediately after; I was expecting something more to come from that. There were things like that which were interesting ideas, but could've been better fleshed out.

One part I loved was during the final battle when the many Jedi offer their encouragment and strength to Rey to help her take down Palpatine once and for all. Such an uplifting moment. It was especially great to hear Qui-Gon and Kanan again. More generally, I liked that they were able to bring back so many of the previous characters. This is one area where I do feel Rise of Skywalker had a distinct advantage; it was such a nice culmination of the past 42 years of Star Wars. I also loved the ending scene. It delivers a great message that your family is ultimately who you choose them to be.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I saw it on Dec 19th, The Fan Event. It was a great finale to the Skywalker Saga, my only issues were:

The Return of the Emperor, how did he survive being thrown by Vader into the generator in Return of the Jedi? “The Book of Sith” explains that powerful Sith Lords can transfer their consciousness to a new body, which would have explained that Palpatine had clone bodies to transfer to. But alas this was not explained in the movie.

The Death of Kylo Ren/ Ben Solo. Adam Driver’s preformance was a highlight of the Sequel Trilogy, his uncertainty of being a New Vader or returning to the Ligjt, or destroying it all was fresh. Ben should have lived and married Rey); their children being Skywalkers (Solos) and Palpatines, making for an interesting future of thd Jedi and Sith. 

Force Ghosts, I wanted to see Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi, Mace, Yoda, and etc one more time.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
In my opinion Rise of Skywalker was a awesome and emotional end to the Skywalker saga. I wanted to cry several times while watching. :lfsadface John Williams amazing score also helped to achieve that. Sure it has a large amount of flaws but flaws aren't going to stop me from enjoying a movie. :)littlefoot I really hate it when critics feel like they need to bully the people who enjoyed this movie. Also my god I gotta mention Palpatine. Even though his return makes no sense he was extremely awesome and scary in this film. :RedclawTerrified Definitely my favorite version of him so far.  Overall a great film to end the 2010's on. :chompysmile
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:34:28 PM by LittleDas75 »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
In hindsight The Rise of Skywalker is the worst SW film of all time. It felt unpolished, and unfinished like a first draft. Abrams spent too much time indermining The Last Jedi and rewriting the story that he neglected the story on screen. A dumpster fire of a movie.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I would even go as far to say that it's worse than The Holiday Special because at least that one was so bad it's good but this one is just bad.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I would even go as far to say that it's worse than The Holiday Special because at least that one was so bad it's good but this one is just bad.

Well said.

The Rise of Skywalker ends the Skywalker Saga in such a way, you want to bury all your lightsabers,  and bid adieu to the franchise.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:55:30 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How exactly did you guys go from loving the film, to hating it with such intensity then? Complete opposite ends of the spectrum here.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
How exactly did you guys go from loving the film, to hating it with such intensity then? Complete opposite ends of the spectrum here.

I can only speak for myself. The first viewing had me in a melancholic and nostalgic mood; this being the end of the Skywalker Saga. Upon rewatching it several times and watching the rest of the films, I began to see how disjointed, badly written, and chaotic Episode IX is. It undermines Anakin as the Chosen One, and takes the power of Return of the Jedi’s climax away because Palpatine lives. It gave no explanation for Palpatine’s survival, say a brief line of “cloning, dark side arts,” when Abrams should have just used Darkhorse Comic’s SW: Dark Empire explanations. The film plays like someone who has no attention span and is on something.

In short its a mess. The first viewing the flaws arn’t as jarring, but on rewatches it id glaring.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:56:41 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

I can only speak for myself. The furst biewing had me in melancholric and nostalgic mood. This being the end of the Skywalker Saga. Upon rewatching it several times and watching the rest of the films, I began to see how disjointed, badly written, and chaotic Episode IX is. It undermines Anakin as the Chosen One, and takes the power of Return of the Jedi’s clunax away because Palpatine lives. It gave no explanation for Palpatine’s survival, say a brief line of “cloning, dark side stuff,” when Abrams shoukd have just used Darkhorse Comic’s SW: Dark Empire explanations. The film plays like someone who has no attention span and is on something.

In short its a mess. The first biewing the flaws arn’t as jarring, but on rewatches it id glaring.
For me my initial thoughts were just blind love without thinking about the stuff that was happening in front of me and seeing how flawed it was. But over the past few months I have thought about it more and I realized just how awful the film really is.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It's a bad movie but it succeeds in being an entertaining ride, which is more than can be said for most bad movies. Like, you're certainly entertained while all the nonsensical plot decisions happen on screen, and it's only on subsequent viewings that all the threads unravel and you notice the weird decisions or abandoned plot points that don't go anywhere.

I may be a bit biased since Kylo/Rey is the only thing I liked from the entire trilogy, and they also happen to be the only plot concept that survives the whole trilogy without getting abandoned or forgotten somewhere down the line. IMO the only truly unforgiveable choice the trilogy makes is blowing up the entire New Republic offscreen and reverting things back to a "rebels vs empire" status quo. Unbelievably lazy choice that basically guarenteed the storyline would underwhelm.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Kylo Ren/ Ben Solo is the only character I connected with on screen, Adam Driver in my opinion drove the Sequel Trilogy, without him the whole trilogy would have been beyond redemption (pun intended).

I honestly would have preferred Abrams keep The Last Jedi plot points rather than try to rewrite them. Kylo Ren as an anarchical dark sider who answers to no lord, nor trains any new acolyte was refreshing and a new direction for the Sith. It even echoed the Jed’aii Way, which combined the Light and the Dark Sides in that Snoke said, “Darkness rises, Light to meet it,” and Luke said, “Powerful Light, powerful Darkness.”. Alas this was scrapped for a Return of the Jedi Clone.

Honestly, only the last episode of Season 2 of the Mandalorian gave me any hope for the Star Wars franchise. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:41:15 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Yeah why did they have to bring Palpatine back. They could have just kept Kylo as the main villain. They say bringing him back was planned since the beginning but we know that's a lie.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah why did they have to bring Palpatine back. They could have just kept Kylo as the main villain. They say bringing him back was planned since the beginning but we know that's a lie.

I agree, no way Palpys was planned from TFA on. Otherwise they’d be crumbs alluding to his appearance in the previous installments.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Episode IX was rushed out the door.  And it really shows in the plot.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The Rise of Skywalker will go down in history as the most unpolished SW film of all time. Oh George, why dis you sell the Saga? I hope this doesn’t become like the Power Rangers. Disney bought the Power Rangers and was running it into the ground, so Saban bought the Power Rangers back.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
The Rise of Skywalker will go down in history as the most unpolished SW film of all time. Oh George, why dis you sell the Saga? I hope this doesn’t become like the Power Rangers. Disney bought the Power Rangers and was running it into the ground, so Saban bought the Power Rangers back.
If it wasn't for the hate George got from the prequels he probably wouldn't have sold Lucasfilm.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
If it wasn't for the hate George got from the prequels he probably wouldn't have sold Lucasfilm.

Probably true.