The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Upcoming Network Overhaul

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I regret to announce that an entire network overhaul is in order.  I need to add even more computers and devices to my integrated network.  At present I have 8 computers in an infrastructure style network.  I can access any file from any of these computers at any given time using any of the other computers in my network.  These 8 computers share the same files, flash drives, and even printers!  But I need more.  My mother's computer for instance.  She can't connect to the makeshift print server I've created because she's connected to the slower 4mbps connection that's split through my router.  There are collisions when she tries to connect to the printer.  Likewise my master computer in my room is having difficulties connecting to the printer as well.  The problem is I never intended to network all my computers to a single printer and because of this, my current system can't handle it.

If all goes as planned, by the end of the overhaul I'll have the ability to connect up to 50 computers to the integrated infrastructure network (including the LBT Server).  Having the LBT Server as a part of this network will allow it to share resources and storage with all other computers on the network and allow me to upload files directly through my internal network rather than trying to go through the admin panel I've programmed directly into the server's system.  This overhaul will take all day.  I've planned to take the ENTIRE day off on October 31st to do the overhaul.  During this time I'll have no internet of any kind, and therefore the LBT Server will be going offline.  

But in the midst of all this we're thinking of moving to a nicer house.  If we do decide to move the overhaul might be sooner than this.  If I have to set up everything again I might as well do it right the first time.  :p We'll see what happens.  I'll post any crucial updates in this topic.  See y'all later! :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well I might not have to do this after all.  I've set up a new network that seems to be doing everything I need it to......for now.

But I'll still be switching out the LBT Server computer soon.  I'll try to get to it tomorrow, but I can't guarantee that.  I've got a lot of other stuff to do tomorrow and switching out the LBT Server computer is a 3 hour job at least.  Seeing as I've been sick for my 3 day weekend the last thing I want to do is work my butt off on my last day (Sunday).  Still, what needs to be done needs to be done.  But I've got a lot of computer work to do.  I haven't made a cent in the past 6 days due to some difficulties I've been having with my computer/parts supply and a recent sickness I had.