The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney's Dinosaur

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
This movie was so similar to The Land Before Time it could almost be considered the cg version. This movie was terrible. There was no emotional value, unlike LBT. I like the computer animation though.

You can post the similarities in this thread.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah it was basically a rip-off of lBt. and yeah, it sucked.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Now, now (grandpa longneck is talking ;)). Disney's dinosaur certainly did not have the emotional value the land before time has, and certainly parts of the plot have been copied from LBT, but I would not judge it as harsh as you do.
One important difference is that in Dinosaur Aladar is born to an intact, healthy world which is later on destroyed by the asteroid. This also takes away a lot of the effect once they reach the nesting ground (nothing like the moment when Littlefoot first beholds the Great Valley).
The characters are different from LBT. We don't have any Krons or Brutons in LBT (unless perhaps if you want to equate Cera with Bruton) nor any characters whose age troubles them (Bayline and Eema), thus stressing the topic of social darwinism.
Of course there is no love relationship in LBT and no growing up of characters (which I think is a point that some (of you?) have spoken up for in LBT).
The animation of Dinosaur was quite beautiful and they also have some very nice music. I think they could have done much better, but the movie gave me more than it ever took away. So why should I detest it?
I think one problem of Disney's Dinosaur is that they sort of produced the movie before they produced the plot. There are many scenes (to be found among the bonus materials) which refer to totally different stories, some of which include a brother of Aladar, others his grandparents and other characters.
In fact even though the bonus material DvD offers only a short glimpse at some of those scenes (and tells very, very little about the alternative plots) I suppose they might have fared better with one of those plots as they seemed to be less like LBT or other stories we already know.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
I didn't mind Disney's Dinosaurs at all. I don't see the relathionship between LBT and Disney's Dinosaurs. to me they are way complete different stories. Like Aladar finding the nesting ground with the small group they the only ones there with the main entrance destoryed. Then you have the relationship troubles between different scenses.

To me that this is fine. I don't see the similaitly between them.

-Threehorn

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewto...t=land+dinosaur

Be sure to read over a similar topic I started at ultimatedisney.com  ;)  Similar responses.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Disney's Dinosaur isnt that bad. It didnt hit me as hard as LBT of course but it was still good. I can see some of the similarities between LBT and Dinosaur but then again, people could turn around and say things like that the death of Littlefoot's mother is a rip off of Bambi which technically did it first. Just because something or an idea isnt exactly original doesnt automatically mean it's a rip off. I've only seen Dinosaur a few times but I've watched a documentary on it's making on TV (this was ages ago) and the location shoots and CGI transformation were incredible! It is very well done but (as Malte stated) plot's a little thin.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Sure there's nothing wrong with movies referencing other movies.  LBT did that...the scene with Littlefoot calling for his mother after the sharptooth attack is directly out of Disney's Bambi right down to the words used ("Mother where are you?").  That's a short two-minute reference.  I think what most LBT fans are saying is that Dinosaur paralleled LBT too much for it to be a simple reference to another dinosaur film.