The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sharpneck Tales

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
You're welcome. :)

Does Dagara have any family members?

Yes, @StardustSoldier, somewhat.  She has an adoptive father, Wartar, the threehorn alpha.  Unseen, a utahraptor, is a bit like her big sister / aunt (the sharpteeth and leafeaters have a pact in her valley).  Vanish, Unseen's son, is her best friend, akin to a little brother.  Other than that, she is thought to be the endling of her species, so all biological relatives are presumed to have passed away.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:28:23 AM by The Mr E »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
This is very well done!! You've imitated the LBT art style so nicely! And I have to say, the first thing I think of when I think "comics" is "expressive faces," which you sure didn't have any trouble putting into your work! I got a kick out of watching Dagara go from friendly and enthusiastic to just plain ticked-off, and harsh as it was, you must've had a blast making that drawing of her being shoved backwards, too! :lol Looking forward to seeing more if you continue these comics!! :)

Thanks, @RainbowFaceProtege!  I admit that the last panel was pretty fun ... even if unfortunate.  Dagara's personality is a tad difficult to pin down, even for me as her creator.  She can be Ducky-level friendly, Cera-level snarky or sharptooth-level horrifying depending on the situation.  And no, she isn't bipolar.  Her species comes from an incredibly hostile, distant land where only the toughest, most ferocious survive.  In The Land Before Time region we're familiar with, her kind doesn't quite fit into the Circle of Life.  They actually disrupt it, collapsing ecosystems if they're not careful.  It's a miracle she cultivated a friendly side at all.

With all that in mind, Dagara's temperamental personality makes perfect sense. And I have to say, I know exactly what you mean about some characters being difficult to pin down. I've had characters like that before--and the funny thing is, I've ended up thinking the ways in which their personality seems to contradict itself gives them even more of a life of their own somehow.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

With all that in mind, Dagara's temperamental personality makes perfect sense. And I have to say, I know exactly what you mean about some characters being difficult to pin down. I've had characters like that before--and the funny thing is, I've ended up thinking the ways in which their personality seems to contradict itself gives them even more of a life of their own somehow.

Good point, @RainbowFaceProtege.  Perhaps the uncertainty on my end is not a weakness, but a strength that plays into her character.  The comic hasn't gotten too deep yet, but she herself is still trying to figure out who she is.  A nice girl with a dark side, or a monster faking friendliness just to feel good about herself?  Something in between, or something else she hasn't thought of yet?

Anyway, great advice.  I guess characters like that embody contradictions and struggles such as virtue vs vice intertwined in human nature.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:47:27 PM by The Mr E »