The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lego Ideas The Land Before Time

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hey Lego fans!

Have you ever thought about submiting a Lego Ideas project about The Land Before Time?

We could team up to come up with a project and then try to get the 10 thousand supporters.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As a huge fan of Lego, I think this would sound like a rather neat idea. However, I must admit that I have doubts it could ever become an actual product.

First, we would have to consider what the idea would be. That fact that Land Before Time takes place in a world of dinosaurs with no human influences means there are very few possible options of what could be built out of Lego parts. I honestly have a hard time coming up with any ideas for playsets (hardly anything more than just rocks and trees), so perhaps it might be better to have the characters themselves be built out of Lego, possibly even with articulated limbs for added playabilitiy. (Keep in mind, Land Before Time is considered a kids franchise, and Lego is a kids toy, so of course playability should be considered.)

Also keep in mind that new molds are not permitted for any sets that come through Lego Ideas, so whatever we come up with has to use preexisting parts (although options for colors aren't as restrictive). We should also keep the number of pieces in mind, because most Lego sets tend to be priced at around 10 cents per piece, so a set containing 1000 pieces would retail for $100. If you want this idea to not only become an actual set but also be rather affordable, then it would be wise to use the fewest pieces possible.

Even if we do come up with a fairly good idea, there's still a lot of other factors that make me have doubts. First is that an Idea needs to reach 10,000 votes within a 12-month period to be considered for review, and let's face it, Land Before Time is hardly a popular enough franchise to receive that much support. Even if by some miracle we do manage to reach the 10,000 votes, that's still no guarantee that it will become an actual Lego set. I've heard of many interesting ideas that reached the 10,000 votes, but did not receive final approval.

I'm not going to help design such a possible Lego set (I've got other things I'd rather spend my time on), so whatever advice I can give here will have to do. I have my doubts this will be successful, but if you want to give it a try anyway, then go ahead and go for it.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I thought about that. Lego Ideas sets are usually priced between 28 and 59 dollars, so that would mean a maximum of 500/600 pieces.

As for the set itself, I don't really have any ideas, that's why I created this topic, to see if anyone here is interested and if we can come up with a great set together. Even if we don't reach 10,000 supporters, or if it's just turned down in the end, it would still be a good project to pull together, and I believe we can have a lot of fun doing it.

I like your idea for the characters, they could be done in a similar way to the Wall-E Lego Ideas set, only smaller ofc so we could have all 5 members of the gang.

There's some love out there for The Land Before Time. With good marketing and with everyone here promoting it to their friends we could reach 10,000. There are some social network celebrities like Alicia Malone who love TLBT and who could back us up in getting supporters.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Jan 15 2016 on  04:44 AM
I thought about that. Lego Ideas sets are usually priced between 28 and 59 dollars, so that would mean a maximum of 500/600 pieces.

As for the set itself, I don't really have any ideas, that's why I created this topic, to see if anyone here is interested and if we can come up with a great set together. Even if we don't reach 10,000 supporters, or if it's just turned down in the end, it would still be a good project to pull together, and I believe we can have a lot of fun doing it.

I like your idea for the characters, they could be done in a similar way to the Wall-E Lego Ideas set, only smaller ofc so we could have all 5 members of the gang.

There's some love out there for The Land Before Time. With good marketing and with everyone here promoting it to their friends we could reach 10,000. There are some social network celebrities like Alicia Malone who love TLBT and who could back us up in getting supporters.
I'd like to get on board, but maybe we should ask for LBT Legos , instead of creating set ideas? We can still try for 10,000, but I feel as if the LEGO company would be more comfortable this way.

10,000 is also a big number for this project. I love LBT but it isn't as popular as it used to be. We will need help.

Even so, LEGO made Jurassic World LEGO'S; so it isn't too far fetched.
8 years with TGOF :yum

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still say color is the biggest reason why LEGO has yet to make an LBT set.  Just look at the gang.

When was the last time you saw LEGO pieces in these exact colors?  It would force the company to make brand new colors for their pieces.  That alone would cost quite a bit.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I realize how old this topic is, but I think this is a really cool idea. I unfortunately know nothing about creating LEGO Ideas projects, but I've already thought of a few locations from the series that would make good sets. How about Saurus Rock? There are LEGO pieces that would work really well for the tooth "necklace." How about Threehorn Peak with a hollowed-out cross-section on the back to show the caves? The Land of Mists with night flowers?

As for the characters' coloring--as much as it pains me to say this--not all seven of the gang would have to be included in the set. LEGO sets rarely include every main character from a show in one set.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm still too preoccupied with other things to consider trying this myself, but I am willing to offer some advice for those who might be interested.

In addition to everything I had previously mentioned in that other post from a few years ago, the policy of reaching 10,000 votes of support has since changed. Now, you must reach 100 votes in 60 days, then an additional 365 days to reach 1000 votes, then an additional 182 days to reach 5000 votes, and finally an additional 182 days to reach 10,000 votes.

It just so happens that I had created an account on Lego Ideas last summer so I could participate in a contest that involved building a spacecraft (among hundreds of entries, mine turned out to be so underwhelming that it never got even a single comment). I've since made use of that account by supporting a bunch of other product ideas that I've found interesting (one of which, based on Bionicle, reached 10,000 votes in almost record time). I would recommend others to consider creating an account, both to support other ideas and to be able to submit ideas of your own.

As for attempting to design and build whatever Lego model you might have in mind, I would highly recommend Studio, a free-to-download design program that offers nearly every type of Lego part in every possible color. So far, I've only designed one thing with just basic bricks, but I can see how incredibly useful this could be for anyone who might not have many pieces at home to physically work with. (As an added bonus, I've noticed a little feature that shows how much it would cost to purchase all of the specific parts in your creation, which should give you a rough idea of what your idea would retail for if it was accepted to become an actual set.)

That's pretty much all the important suggestions I can think of. If you're still interested in trying such a project, I certainly would like to see what you can come up with. :)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Lego Lane Before Time needs to be a thing!

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
How about a lego set from LBT XIV, based on the volcano that Bron was stuck at?
Go Chomper!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
How about a lego set from LBT XIV, based on the volcano that Bron was stuck at?

That’s a great choice! It coukd have Beon legi, Littlefoot and Gang, Horned Sharptooth, and Etta. :)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith