The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT roleplay in the style of the original movie?

Ducky123 · 399 · 52439

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Sep 17 2017 on  03:59 PM

At this point, shouldn't our main focus be in establishing the setting for our first scenes?
Most certainly, and I think that's where the hang-up is. What we have to go on at the moment is that our starting point is somewhere inland past the Sailbeak nesting grounds after the tsunami. If I had to guess, we're looking at either an arid plain, a forest, or perhaps a "Badlands" of sorts.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is just a thought but could the first scene be the aftermath of a meeting similar to the cut oasis sequence (this time the other group doesn't get chased eventually away, however) of the first film? This could be a good way to justify the eventual joining of the smaller groups of characters together while keeping the tension high among the still-feuding group members (perhaps a fight between Fyn and Jorrdy or me could be a thing).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You mean like... they find a place that has food and water but it is guarded by leafeaters who won't let the ovies in?
Inactive, probably forever.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, I meant that another half of the leaf eaters (weren't we supposed to be initially in two small groups before joining together? :unsure:) finding some water but when the other group finds them, they initially try to keep them out, eventually failing. There are several characters with such broken pasts that I'd see this as a realistic scenario. About the ovies, weren't they supposed to stalk the main group for a short time before they join up? I imagined them still staying out of this for a short while still but if that doesn't work, your idea could be also used.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ooooh... I see  ^^spike

Well, I would approve of the idea. What about the others? (I know, I always ask this :p)

I haven't got around to think about the groups a lot yet, school keeps me tired and busy  :sducky However, one thing I remember is that jorrdy's character is very similar to mine so I'd suggest them stumbling upon each other. They could later take in another dinosaur (maybe the swimmer? Would be funny because.. same constellation as in LBT 1... Longneck, Flyer & Swimmer :p) The others would find together simultaneously until the encounter Sovereign proposed happens (and that'd be the first scene of the RP? Would all of us have a starting post or just one of us? I already have an idea how to write that if the Swimmer and the Flyer are in my squad :smile) )

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I agree with Sovereign's proposal. As tempting as it is to start an origin point for this entire chain of events (i.e. the first two of our group meeting a la Littlefoot and Ducky), in the interest of encouraging participation from everyone, starting from a point at which we're all together makes the most sense. Using the example provided, if my character is staunchly defending a watering hole or feeding ground, the resulting confrontation establishes the personalities and characteristics of all of our characters, and provides a point from which the entire group can start their journey.

With that being said, I wouldn't have anything against people establishing their characters' backstories outside of the RP, particularly when it comes to writing about situations that may not come up in the RP itself. As an example, I will be doing a short piece on Orsur's past (which I know I said I would do earlier, but... combine school with crunch week for my play rehearsal and I just don't have any time). Extra steps like this aren't necessary, but they can be useful for getting into character.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I suppose you all agree to me just deciding where everybody starts? If so, I will take care of that this week so we can officially start on Oct 1st (my proposal) :)

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Yes!!! October is Halloween and my Star Day month!!!
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Sep 26 2017 on  05:24 PM
I suppose you all agree to me just deciding where everybody starts? If so, I will take care of that this week so we can officially start on Oct 1st (my proposal) :)
Sounds good to me.  Just park my character's little Oviraptor behind wherever you think my character would best be placed.  :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Sounds good to me, too! I'm also open to starting at any point :smile

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Finally, I'm so excited to finally get this show on the road. Now we just gotta keep it alive.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
October 1st? Oh hell yeah! Put me wherever you want. I will adapt. I'm super excited to get this ball rolling! HYPE!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds great! :) I, too, am excited to get this this roleplay started!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, I will let you all know where you stand soon and plan my first post in the meantime :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I am working on the map right now. It is not easy to work with all of your backstories at the same time - some may not fit 100% with their starting location but I want them all to be somewhat near each other so we won't need months just to find each other :p

going to upload the map in a bit, it's almost finished (messy though, it'll come with some typed explanation as well because my handwriting is terrible and all over the place now :p )

EDIT: doesn't look on photo at all... I think I'll try to draw it digitally... going to take a little longer!

UPDATE:
This is the map that I came up with. It looks even rougher than the traditional sketch but I had to keep a few things a bit more simple this time  :angel

Explanations:
First of all, the point in time that we start is the morning after the devastating earthshake & tsunami. Tried to honour as many details of your backstories as I could but this is the best situation I think.

The land is mostly barren, some skattered rocks or dead trees/vegetation. Our first destination should be a small oasis that two groups could fight over towards the west. As for the season, I'd imagine that it is late summer with fall season right around the corner so they'll eventually get caught in the cold time :p

Anyway, here is what I had planned for each of you guys (no need to follow strictly, those are just my ideas :)):

Me/Lizzie: starts in the dead forest, decided to stay there to seek shelter after the earthshake hit, eventually starts moving along the river

jorrdy12/Samara:barely escapes the tsunami --> terrified. Seeks refuge in the forest where she'll bump into Lizzie, them forming a loose group, walking rather slow towards the west with Lizzie

The Lone Dragon/Aquarius: Resides in a cave after receiving injuries during the earthshake and subsequent tsunami (what kind of injuries Aquarius took us up to you of course :) )

Sovereign/ Rinen: starts in the barren lands. Heading north towards the site of destruction. (Maybe he could seek shelter for the night in Aquarius' cave? I'm sure they would make a troublesome pair :p) Then they'll cross the river, walking westwards.

Fyn16/Orsur: starts a bit east of the rest, just enough inland to avoid the tsunami. I picture him lagging slightly behind but catching up to either of those groups. In order to have someone who is strong enough to stand up for himself in the group Lizzie and Samara are forming, I would suggest that he joins them (no idea why he would but I'd leave that to Fyn :p)

--

Now for our Omnivores (rhombus/Buko & DarkWolf91/Wyoh) :p

I do not have a fix idea for either of you, only that you're a bit further away than the rest so you'd only catch up when or after the leafeaters find the oasis, where they'll meet. Whether you intermingle or not is up to you ;)

--

the Sharpteeth (Snik/Shade & Hypnobrai/Slash):

I did not include you yet because I don't know what you are planning :smile Certainly, the two of you have to meet at some point. Maybe they could make their first appearance hunting either of the two groups (or one of the Ovies) while they're on their way to the oasis :yes

Before I hit that post button, let me remind you, that we planned to start the RP with the scene where they meet in the oasis, having a clash for food, as an introduction, then moving on to the events of the past (---> what I described above). If you're confused, just read my initial post for the RP which I will write right after this post.

Also, be reminded that we (more or less) agreed not to let the RP flow too slow. The maximum time waiting for the next post should be a week, not more

And, again, these are just my ideas, you do not have to follow them if you had something different planned :)

UPDATE: RP has started here ;)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Since I won't be with the group for a while, what would you think of me solo posting? I could probably go through the arrival of the Spikethumbs and the loss of my nesting grounds, which would put me on my own just as the group arrives.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you for doing this, Ducky! Your plans and first post seem good but who is supposed to post the next installment? Anyone who wants to?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Since I won't be with the group for a while, what would you think of me solo posting? I could probably go through the arrival of the Spikethumbs and the loss of my nesting grounds, which would put me on my own just as the group arrives.
Honestly, I don't plan to dwell on this scene for too long. The two groups are going to get some interaction among each other but we should try to reach the oasis rather quick. I'd imagine you'd catch up to the group of Samara and Lizzie within a couple days..

As for solo posting... I think that is a good idea. I did some solo posting there too, going a bit into my backstory. You could write about your character doing just whatever it takes to survive while travelling, maybe some scene descriptions (particularly of the descruction the earthquake caused) and intermingle that with the backstory bits. :)

Thank you for doing this, Ducky! Your plans and first post seem good but who is supposed to post the next installment? Anyone who wants to?
I thought so. Would be hard to set up a distinct order we have to post in.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
whoa already?
But wait, I never played roleplay before, I don't know rules! In what order do people post? Can they write other characters' actions or only their own? Who rules the extension of general plot? Only Ducky? What we're allowed to do and what we can't?

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have one more question concerning the first posts. Ducky started with the oasis scene but drifted quickly into the past while Lone Dragon and rhombus stayed completely in their backstories. Are we supposed to all write a post or few about how we ended up in the oasis or what?