The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mario Kart Tour (App Store)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Hi, is anyone playing Mario Kart Tour (iTunes Store)? I have been playing since December.

Its addictive.

I got Red Yoshi, Ice Mario, and Valentine Shy Guy.

Share your favorite characters, tracks, how many times you hadd to use the warp pipe to get the character or kart you wanted. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:33:30 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have not. I basically don't play any mobile games. Pokemon Go has been the one exception. I've heard that this game can be very expensive. Nice to see that you're getting enjoyment out of it though (just don't give them any money  :bestsharptooth )

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@Flathead770 You can play for free and earn rubies and coins to buy characters without payikg real cash/ currency.

I confess I have spent real money.   

I have been a Mario Karyt fan since Super Mario Kart (SNES). I love the return of retro courses like Koopa Beach (N64), and the newer courses like “Paris or Vancouver.”

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:02:44 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
You tagged the wrong guy. :p

Well, I had of this game, namely a few complaints over Twitter. Not a fan of microtransactions though.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
^Ha, your post was actually the one to inform me about the wrong @ mention. I didn’t even notice he mentioned me in the first place in this thread. :P

Other than the classic Mario games and listening to some of the music, I’m not really involved with Mario at all.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
“Momma Mia!” I made a mistake! Lol Corrected. :D

@OwlsCantRead Indeed, the micro transactions have been controversial. Nintendo should have charged for the app and then made everyrhing unlockable for free. Still I enjoy it. Its really easy to use the touch screen controls, which I was skeptical about since I am use to the SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii controllers.

@ImpracticalDino Which classic Mario games do you like?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@Gentle Sharptooth: Eh, micro-transactions seems to be a universally hated feature regardless of what game has them.

Besides the classic Mario games, I haven’t really played any new Mario games. :P

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@ImpracticalDino Yeah, there are micro transactions in Power Rangers: Legacy Wars. Ugh. Its getting too common.

What I like about Mario Lart Tour is you can play the game, unlock characters, level them up, and get new Karts and gliders to level them up for free:celebrate

But you most resist buying rare unlockables with real monies ($€£¥). I could not resist on Red Yoshi, Ice Mario, and Shy Guy (Valentine’s Day). The gotcha got me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:17:59 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm not a fan of micro-transactions either. They've had a real negative impact on industry in terms of quality. If people can manage to play the game without spending much money on it though then all the power to them.

For me Mario Kart 8 will be hard to top in terms of Mario Kart games. I'm actually curious if they'll skip a new entry in the Switch's life cycle since 8 Deluxe seems to have done well.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm not a fan of micro-transactions either. They've had a real negative impact on industry in terms of quality. If people can manage to play the game without spending much money on it though then all the power to them.

For me Mario Kart 8 will be hard to top in terms of Mario Kart games. I'm actually curious if they'll skip a new entry in the Switch's life cycle since 8 Deluxe seems to have done well.

Mario Kart Tour is basically Mario Kart 7 with some 8 elements and its own unique additions. I love Neo Bowser Castle. :D

I imagine Switch won’t have a new MK until the end of its life cycle, much like Mario Kart Wii was at the end of the Wii’s life.

My favorite Mario game came at the tail end of the N64’s lifecycle, its “Paper Mario.”

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I played a couple of races when it came out, but can't say I was very much into it. I prefer playing Mario Kart with friends over playing with strangers, and at least back then, there was no option to play with friends. Plus playing on mobile drains the battery pretty quickly, so I prefer not to play games on there (also with Pokémon GO as the exception :P )

From what I played though, it looks really nice. The controls are solid once you get a feel for them. The connection to other players wasn't bad either.

Not a big fan of micro-transactions either. I think they can have a real negative impact on the gaming experience. I much prefer a freemium game that you can actually buy to unlock the entire experience, rather than one that limits your gameplay through "energy" or the necessity to buy items to actually have a good time.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I played a couple of races when it came out, but can't say I was very much into it. I prefer playing Mario Kart with friends over playing with strangers, and at least back then, there was no option to play with friends. Plus playing on mobile drains the battery pretty quickly, so I prefer not to play games on there (also with Pokémon GO as the exception :P )

From what I played though, it looks really nice. The controls are solid once you get a feel for them. The connection to other players wasn't bad either.

Not a big fan of micro-transactions either. I think they can have a real negative impact on the gaming experience. I much prefer a freemium game that you can actually buy to unlock the entire experience, rather than one that limits your gameplay through "energy" or the necessity to buy items to actually have a good time.

O how I miss the days of gaming yore, when the internet was but a fledgling and you got together to have lan parties witj friejds, O system link I miss thee. Then came online multiplayer and the advent of onlone-multiplayer centric games with poor campaigns or single player.

Mario Kart Tour lets you add friends now and play with them (when Miltiplayer is available, its Bets at the moment).

Microtransactions as I aforementioned are annoying. How backward we are. In 90’s and early 2000’s you bought a video game at 49.99-59.99 USD and it had all you need to play and you could unlock everything in game without DLC (Downloadable Content) or internet connection. Now you pay for 59.99 USD gamecand you have to have internet and ypu habe to pay micro-transactions to access content in the game. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:27:40 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Mobile games are the satan of micro transactions. There are just soooo many generic puzzle and other genre games that have live count (very little) and you either have to wait a couple of hours or spend in-game currency (which can be bought with real money) to get more lives.

The advertisements of these mobile games these days are also so egregious and misleading, some even downright disturbing and inappropriate.

I’d recommend this channel on YouTube if you want to see countless and countless examples of fraudulent advertising of their mobile games.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Despite the Microtrans issue, what I like about MK Tour is anyone can download it and play. Kids who never got a Nintendo 64, GC, or Wii can fall in love with characters like Yoshi, Mario, Shy Guy, Peach, Toad, and etc. Its a great way to make converts to the Nintendo brand. On the other hand, die hard Nintendo fans may feel betrayed and that their exclusive worlds like the Mushroom Kingdom are being exploited and now are less sacred. I personally think its a good thing, Sonic the Hedgehog crosses plateforms and it worked. In fact, I would prefer Nintendo put more effort in their games and cease making consoles, than have consoles and medicore games. 

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nintendo overall has been fairly good at resisting the trend, but they have slowly started to trend down the path of DLC, Season passes, and now testing out different micro-transaction type payments with their mobile games, online subscription and such. It's by far the most worrying thing for me that Nintendo is doing.

As for not making consoles, I highly doubt that. Last time I checked a few years ago Nintendo had more money then all of Sony so they're not in anyway a financially tough spot. During the Wii U days when they were posting a loss of something like $250M for the fiscal year, they had the money to endure that loss for 50 years straight or something crazy.

I have no complaints about the Switch in terms of a console and the games that have come out for it have been pretty darn good. I think the only big one off the top of my head that didn't seem so great was the new Pokemon games.

As for the idea of Nintendo making mobile games in general, I don't have a problem with that as long as they're decent for mobile game standards and are not super micro-transactiony :p

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I actually had heard the opposite, that Nintendo almost had to go SEGA and stop making consoles after the lacklustwr and obvious 32X (SEGA port failure) that was Wii U. The Switch saved Nintendo on the console front, but one more debacle like Wii U and its the Segapocalypse all over again. I would really prefer Nintendo focused on content over consoles.

For me who can no longer afford consoles, Mario Kart Tour is the only option to keep my old Mario Fandom alive.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Online Multiplayer is now fully operational! You can play with your pals for free.

I am so sad I missed out on Black Yoshi. 😭

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I've been playing Mario Kart Tour since the release date (along with Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Super Circuit, etc, etc.)
I like the game, but, I've been getting bored with it. I also achieved my one goal in the game, earning Red Yoshi! This site is amazing! First, LBT, and then, Mario Kart! :Mo
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:00:12 PM by Little Bro »
Go Chomper!

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know if anyone would be into this, but we could be on each others friends list in Mario Kart Tour. Here's what you do to become friends.

1. Find player ID. The easiest way to do that is to go to "friends" in the menu screen, click on "add friend," and it will show you your player ID.

2. Share your player ID on this site for all to see.

To add a friend yourself, find someones ID, and type the ID onto the "add friend" page.
My ID in Mario Kart Tour is 7111 3078 8602.
Go Chomper!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I've been playing Mario Kart Tour since the release date (along with Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Super Circuit, etc, etc.)
I like the game, but, I've been getting bored with it. I also achieved my one goal in the game, earning Red Yoshi! This site is amazing! First, LBT, and then, Mario Kart! :Mo

I bought Red Yoshi back when he was availabke, but I missed Black Yoshu! Sigh. I wish you coukd trade characters. I’d trade my Halloween Rosalina for Black Yoshi in a heart beat. :)