The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Who wants to see an uncliched dinosaur movie?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Erm...not meaning to take sides here but even if you DO own a carnivorous pet, there is a distinct difference between a wild one and a domesticated one. Primarily, domesticated carnivores would have lost their ability to hunt and therefore have a reduced chance of survival if it were to be slung out in the wild.
"We're back..." kinda seems to me to be Spielberg's own version of what maybe he wanted LBT to be like. Funnily enough, Kenneth Mars plays the bad-guy in that film (Professor Screw-Eye or something to that effect... :unsure: ) yet he does a wonderful job of portraying Grandpa Longneck in every LBT since #2! Strange turn of events there! LOL! In terms of the animation, I was amazed at the resemblence between Bluth's animation and Spielberg's company Amblin's animation. If I didn't know any better, I would have said that "We're Back" was a Bluth film. Thankfully it's not coz I didn't really like it...something was missing.

As for having a flick from a carnivorous dino's POV, I'd be all for it! It's kinda interesting to see how these dinos come across because by listening to their side of a story and not hearing the other, you immediately think that these are the GOOD guys! An interesting concept that would be hard to pull off I reckon but if done well, I think could be another hit film.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We've had some Disney movies with carnivorous characters, yet it was always avoided to show their meals (except for a few insects). Lion King is the best example. I really like the movie, but the only lion whom we see with parts of a dead zebra is evil Scar.
If they include carnivore characters they usually do whatever they can to avoid showing their nature too distinctly. The question is wether or not the majority of people would like to see the details.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Erm...not meaning to take sides here but even if you DO own a carnivorous pet, there is a distinct difference between a wild one and a domesticated one. Primarily, domesticated carnivores would have lost their ability to hunt and therefore have a reduced chance of survival if it were to be slung out in the wild.

Bingo, Jay, even cats and dogs, with wild carniverous ancestors are not going to go and eat you...maybe nip in annoyance every so often but they aren't out to get you.  It doesn't make me feel any less of them, however, they are not natural carnivores that are going to go out and kill their own meal.  Unless you work in a zoo, I don't any one of us can relate to that point WR...about how it can be different to carniverous dinos...because none of us really have had any interaction with truly carniverous animals. ;)

Malte's got a point there...especially for animated films, the violence is pretty toned down...excluding the Plague Dogs....they didn't tone that one down...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Actually, all my pets still hunt. They've been domesticated, but they hunt.

My cats hunt mice in and out of the house all the time. My dogs hunt rabbits, rats, mice, deer, and skunks (and somehow always manage to catch them without being sprayed). So, they kill and eat all the types of animals that Disney would normally put in the spotlight as a lead character.

I have cat food and dag food that just sits around half the time, since I normally don't have to fill my pet's stomachs.

I still don't see any reason for a carnivorous dinosaur to not, at least, get a decent chance in the spotlight of an animated film. I was talking about a movie about a carnivorous dinosaur in its element. In the wild, not some modern future. I still can't believe that no one thinks the idea has merit.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As for putting carnivores more in the spotlight in LBT, I think I do agree with you to a certain extend. I already mentioned elsewhere that we know next to nothing about Chomper and that all we know of him seems to make him just a most sensitive sould; not exactly like a carnivore.
The most important thing that has to be done however is to stop the tendency to let sharpteeth appear as stupid, mindless, and coward brutes that will trip if a dinosaur kids hurls a stone at a grownup representative of their kind. The sharpteeth in LBT 8 and 10 were really extremely poor and I sure hope that we will see better sharpteeth again. Not loveable, but respect inspiring.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The most important thing that has to be done however is to stop the tendency to let sharpteeth appear as stupid, mindless, and coward brutes that will trip if a dinosaur kids hurls a stone at a grownup representative of their kind. The sharpteeth in LBT 8 and 10 were really extremely poor and I sure hope that we will see better sharpteeth again. Not loveable, but respect inspiring.

This has been the main reason why I've despised many of the sequels because of that right there.  :angry:  LBT 1 had the Sharpooth actually being nimble and fearless...if they really want to be realistic...the sharpteeth actually were smarter than some of the plant eaters.  :blink:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, okay, fine, everyone. Be that way. Just remember, we didn't get movies like "The Lord of the Rings" or "Star Wars" if Hollywood wasn't willing to try something new. And making a theaterically released movie with carnivores in the center of the attention would be something new and interesting.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Okay, okay, fine, everyone. Be that way.

Now please tell me Weird Raptor, what on earth did we make wrong that would justify you being annoyed of us? Please tell me. We didn't even disagree with you. What's the problem?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I thought you were disagreeing. Never mind. My mind must have been wondering. Sorry.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But in case we had been disagreeing, would that have been reason enough to be pissed of so long nobody writes anything offensive?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I make no excuse for myself.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So what you're looking for Drew, is originality, a fresh look at things. Good thought, but what carnivore could make a good lead character?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The only dinosaur carnivore film that I can see where it might work is if they make something with Raptor Red...those that have read the book will know it's from the carnivore's perspective, but it might only attract those who have read the book in the end.  :unsure:  Anonymous Rex would be an interesting thing if they made that into a film (probably would be rated R though if not X if they stick to book content  :blink: ).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, there's an adaptation of "Anonymous Rex" on the Sci-Fi. I saw it just a few nights ago. It stunk.

Yeah, "Raptor Red" would probably be the only one that would work. I've been waiting seven years thus far to see a film about that.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmm...didn't realize someone had already done something for Anonymous Rex...guess I'm not missing anything though.  :(

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have no intention of watching the show. It just doesn't appeal to me.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Fanfiction got some sweet dinosaur stories up in the JP one in Movies.

http://www.fanfiction.net

-Threehorn

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, they are quite good.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is anybody working on a fanfiction right now?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am working with a story which is titled "Old Threehorns". But it is no land before time story in which carnivores play a large role. In fact they are only mentioned in the prologue.