The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Post Count - Is it Worth It?

Petrie · 15 · 2166

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Leave a message if you wish of why or why not post count should(n't) stay.  If there was one thing I liked about our ezboard was that I was able to remove post count entirely so it never showed up.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't really care about the post count so it doesn't make too much of a difference to me whether it stays or not.
On the pro-postcount side one can say that maybe it stirs up peoples ambitions to have a high postcount number so they may post more.
On the contra-postcount side is the risk that the mere whish to have a high number there may result in the posting of many short messages without real content.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well see, that's why I would rather it gone.  I just saw someone who on another forum made a post bragging about how he reached his 5,000th post.  Who cares???  I'm sure 4,000 had nothing meaningful in them considering they have a spam games forum.

But also with the post count removed, everyone is more on an equal terms--nobody is more "important" because they have a post count in the four digits.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Fortunately I don't think that anyone here considers those with more posts more important than those with less posts. Still it is up to majority's vote wether or not to remove the post count.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I like having the post count on. Wouldn't bother me much if it actually went but I've got no problem with it. No one said it was a race or a competition to see who can get the most posts and as long as it doesnt turn out that way...I think it's cool to stay! ;)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I don't know why, but I've never been particularly fond of the Post Count.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I favor keeping it in  myself. I like seeing how many posts I have, i'm strange that way :P:
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In another forum, I have almost 5600 posts, in fact I have the most of anyone on the board. Once anybody reachs 1000(or 2000, or 3000 whatever) We congratulate them on thier accomplishment. By tradition, the milestone post is a summary of the previous 1000, and also contains the posters hopes and dreams. I'm also a moderator on the forum, so I can delete posts that are offensive.
NIck
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Yeah, I've seen that at other boards too....it's some "big accomplishment".  :rolleyes:   I don't see what's so big about a number.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The content of messages is certainly important too. It sure isn't too difficult to get several hundred messages in say, the word association game, or some goof off threads.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ That's why I don't like the post count there because (while I haven't seen it over here and I hope I never do) some look at that number and will do anything to make it higher or to get to the next level or whatever.  :mad

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, in case of doubt the number of posts could still be found in the Members list if the post count was removed, couldn't it? So I really don't care.
To me the fact that it earns you a new picture seems much more like a reason to rise the number of the own posts. Of course this doesn't go for the admins  :cry2
However, I think that the system of new images for a certain number of posts should be kept (and it was never the subject of the debate until I brought it up, so never mind).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, to be honest, there is no way to remove post count from these boards.  I'd have to request a hack to get rid of them (even if it can be done).  I was just seeing if it mattered before I made someone waste their time trying to develop a hack for it, but it seems that we don't have a unanimous call for it to go, so I don't think we're going to touch anything. ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can assure you that 99+% of my 5600 posts on the other board are quality posts. Now as for this board, I have posted a lot in the word association thread. :P:  But  my posts have a very high quality to them.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure we're all guilty of posting in the Word Association game. :P:  But that's the only real game that doesn't require much thought...the rest you can actually learn something from. ;)