The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Need a screenshot from Land Before Time 11

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Can't believe I never thought to ask for this here.

Malte's recent thread made me realize that I've also wanted an image for quite some time.

Can anyone take a screenshot of the moment where Tria remarks to Topsy, "I can't wait to tell Mrs. Twoped"? I need the English subtitled version, so the sentence about Mrs. Twoped appears on screen.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is what you need.  I took a screenshot from the 11th movie and uploaded it to my photobucket account with the caption thing turned on at: http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/K...t=MrsTwoped.jpg

It looks like the dialog in this scene is Tria says is: "Toppsie, she is so advanced.  Wait till I tell Mrs. Twoped."

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I can't help but mention that movie subtitles aren't always completely accurate. I don't think the people who write them are necessarily in cahoots with the scriptwriters; sometimes the wording of the subtitles is slightly different from the dialogue, and on occasion it appears that the subtitlers didn't know what word they were dealing with, and just winged it by spelling it phonetically. (A glaring example that comes to mind is the Primeval Series One DVD, where, on one episode, the name Coelurosauravus is spelled in the subtitles as “Salurosorophus”óthere isn't even such a species with that name, and the filmmakers are aware of the correct spelling.)

Anyway, my point is that I don't believe the subtitles for that scene to be concrete evidence that “Twoped” is what Tria says in that scene. I've listened closely to that scene, and my conclusion is that she says “Tubehead”, with a “b” sound that's just a little sharp and “p”-like, and a softly pronounced “h” that isn't easy to catch in the wake of the aforementioned “b”. “Tubehead” makes more sense to me, too; while plenty of LBT character names are based on their Latin names, and some are known by a surname matching the LBT name for their species, there are none outside this supposed example whose names are a combination of an English and a Latin word. And unlike every other character in the series whose name follows the “honorific + species” formula, “Twoped” does very little to indicate her exact species. I'm still convinced that the unseen character is a Parasaurolophus named “Mrs. Tubehead”.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I tend to agree. I had understood it as tubehead (by the way, isn't the scene from LBT 12 rather than LBT 11?). I'm not nearly as aware of the later LBT sequels, but I think Tricia appeared in LBT 12 only. The reason I think the subtitle writer got this one wrong is that tubehead would be a lot more distinctive than twoped (which could refer to so many species while tubehead would suggest a Parasaurolophus or perhaps a Saurolophus (Ducky's mum maybe?)):

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
You are correct; it was LBT XII.

The possibility that Mrs. Tubehead is Ducky's mother has occurred to me as well. (After all, we don't know what her real name or title is, since the other characters have never called her by anything other than “Ducky’s mom”, or a permutation thereof.) I think it's unlikely, though, for a couple of reasons. One is that Ducky's species has almost always been referred to as “swimmers” (as well as “bigmouth” in the original movie, the possible slur “bigface” in LBT II, and the anachronistic-sounding “duckbill” in V), and the name “tubehead” seems more befitting of a Parasaurolophus, given the more tube-like shape of their crests.

Also, the fact that Tria deemed relaying the news of Tricia's development to this particular individual important enough to mention it to her mate onscreen gave me the impression that Mrs. Tubehead is a fairly longtime friend of Tria's. Since Tria was a relative newcomer to the valley, it seems less likely to me that Mrs. Tubehead would be a resident such as Ducky's mother. If Tria is like most of the farwalkers who come to the valley, then she probably arrived with a herd; my personal hypothesis is that Mrs. Tubehead was another member of that herd who also decided to settle in the valley.

I realize that I'm turning a thread that was originally made to request a screenshot thread into a topic speculating the nature of a LBT character. :oops (Do we have a character discussion thread for Mrs. Tubehead/Twoped already?)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Nevertheless, subtitles are generally considered canon since they're a part of the official movie; I remember the Star Trek Wiki had a page on a "Lieutenant Ryan" because it appeared Spock used Ryan to refer to a redshirt normally named "Lieutenant Leslie". However, a user pointed out that according to the subtitles, Spock was referring to Yeoman Rand, a main character.

Thank you Kor, for the shot. I've uploaded it to the Land Before Time Wiki. It was exactly what I was looking for! :yes

Pangaea, I made a thread on Mrs. Twoped a while back, (poll too). You should move your data there, you've brought up some interesting points that haven't been mentioned yet.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is certainly a possibility.  The only way to really tell I guess is to get a copy of the original script to that movie.