The Gang of Five
Howdy, everyone!

The member joining awards for 2019, 2020, and 2021 have been posted. We admins would like to thank each and every one of you who have made the forum their home over these years. It is because of people like you that the forum is the welcoming place that it is. :)

The forum supporter awards for those who maintained the forum on Patreon in 2023 will also be up shortly. Again, thank you all for what you do to keep our little corner of the Internet online!

Rinkus and Sierra Showcase - May 2020

rhombus · 34 · 11215

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey, guys?  Are you done with that rock yet?  :thudstonk

Sigh... well, I will get things started for when you get done.  And for the love of the Great Egg, don't let those two rainbowfaces catch you!  :rainbowwave

-------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss Rinkus and Sierra as characters, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving these characters.  For a full set of rules please see the 2020 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following questions:

1)  It has be postulated by many authors, including myself, that Sierra might be some kind of psychopath or sociopath (a person without emotional empathy for others) based upon his words and actions during the seventh film.  Including his willingness to kidnap Ducky and then to discard her to what he assumes is her doom.  What do you think?

2)  What is your personal head-canon about how these two met up?  It does seem that Rinkus knows how to recognize and handle Sierra's more intense impulses to lash out to a much better degree than Pterano.

3)  To my fellow science nerds: one of the hashtags for this gif image is #Birds, how does that make you feel? :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
:rainbowwave
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:38:49 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rinkus and Sierra Stain Glass:

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
1)  It has be postulated by many authors, including myself, that Sierra might be some kind of psychopath or sociopath (a person without emotional empathy for others) based upon his words and actions during the seventh film.  Including his willingness to kidnap Ducky and then to discard her to what he assumes is her doom.  What do you think?

I really regret posting that one thread of speculating mental disorders in the LBT characters, because such theorizing can result in people armchair diagnosing traits that can apply to anything. Just look at all the people that theorize Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony having Autism despite the fact that she just didn't socialize due to lack of interest rather than struggling to do so. Personally, I get uncomfortable when people try to apply a diagnosis to characters that more often than not, aren't written with a diagnosis in mind. Look at Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. People say he's "autism-coded" but that's just how he was written, no one came in with an Autism diagnosis in mind for him upon conceptualizing his character.

Anyway, to answer this question, Sierra is the brawn of the duo and he most likely had to apply some aggressive tendencies in order to survive. He definitely has no problem hurting others to get what he wants. Neither does Rinkus, who he slaps Petrie out of the sky while laughing at his downfall. Both of them have tendencies that can lead to sociopathic behavior, but I'm not going to say they actually are sociopaths.

2)  What is your personal head-canon about how these two met up?  It does seem that Rinkus knows how to recognize and handle Sierra's more intense impulses to lash out to a much better degree than Pterano.

I like to think that Rinkus and Sierra if they did not know each other as hatchlings, they for sure got into different schemes as young adults, Rinkus being the brains and Sierra being the muscle. However, Rinkus is too yellow-bellied to be any sort of charismatic leader and Sierra's personality is too off-putting and brutish for anyone to gravitate towards. So they found a useful, charismatic idiot in Pterano. Soon everything just seemed to fall into place for them until the very end.

3)  To my fellow science nerds: one of the hashtags for this gif image is #Birds, how does that make you feel? :p

It's a little frustrating I'll admit, especially since there are people around still calling Pterosaurs Pterodactyls or dinosaurs. But a simple google search should correct those mistakes.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:38:59 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:04:05 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Okay, I just have to share this art I found a while back (NOT MINE, I just came across it in Google Images):

I just can't look at this without grinning. :lol :lol :lol

This is hilarious! Great find Rainbow!

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:04:13 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rinkus’ face as mediator lol

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
Finally, a villain duo that I can say nice things about - Rinkus and Sierra, at least in my opinion, are some of the best proper villains the series has put out.

I don't even think they're all that scary or threatening (though I do think they're more scary and threatening than a good deal of other LBT antagonists) so much as I think they're just thoroughly entertaining - especially Sierra, with how vicious and hot-tempered he is. I do admit that I think Rinkus doesn't hold up as well as Sierra does; though he is still good, his more subdued and cowardly nature doesn't quite strike me as as interesting as his fellow pterosaurs.

As for the questions:

1.) I don't think there's any underlying cause for Sierra being the way he is; he's just a big jerk.

2.) This isn't actually something I've thought about that much until now - as much as I'd like to write a backstory for the two, I don't have enough time to at the moment, maybe I'll come back to this soon.

3.)  :facepalm

Okay, I just have to share this art I found a while back (NOT MINE, I just came across it in Google Images):

This is beautiful; someone's itching to knock someone off their perch.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:39:27 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Littlefootfan1889

• Ruby
    • View Profile

that drawing is funny how one if trying to hold the other one back from attacking him lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
It looks like Pterano is 2 FAB 4 Sierra. :bestsharptooth

I can see Pterano saying, “I am a genius! Hahahaha!” XD

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I posted this in my fanart thread already, but I guess it belongs here as well. Here’s a piece I did for this month’s showcase of Sierra giving Rinkus a bit of a pep talk, although probably not a nice one  :PCera

"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Imcredible Jazzy! I wish I could take my sketches and make the colors this vibrant.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is gorgeous, Jassy! The vibrant colors really make this drawing quite striking and attention grabbing.  :)  I also like how the two contrasting personalities show through in this depiction.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 12:06:31 AM by RainbowFaceProtege »