The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The LBT Series Project

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, the series will be upon us soon. (Probably less than a month by now. :P:)

So, I've decided to set up a little project of mine.  One I will be dedicated to doing.  The project at hand is to give full info on the series as it comes.

This is where I'll need your help.

I need people willing to sign up for what needs to be done.  They need to be able to keep in touch with the series and be willing to take the time out of their schedule to provide the info they sign up for.

The project mainly consists of episode guides, (These need to contain high spoilers within.  Explianing every important detail to the plot of the ep.) lyrics to any songs, episode pics, song uploads and Charcter Bio information.

Now, I hold one big problem at hand.  I do not hold all of the nessacary stuff or time to do it all.  So this is where you guys come in.  Who is willing to take one of the jobs at hand and help me out?  Remember, you must have access to the series in order to participate.  You must also have the nessacary equipment for whatever job you sign up for.

Now, considering my lack of time and nessacary stuff, I have already signed myself up for the lyrics to the songs job.  The others are still up for grabs.  Remember, you must be willing to take the time and effort to do the projects you sign up for.

Just to refresh, the jobs are:

episode guides - (currently open)

lyrics to songs - pokeplayer984, action9000

episode pics - (currently open)

song uploads - action9000

Charcter Bios - (currently open)

Remember, it is your own choice of whether or not to participate in such a thing.

I, the creator of the project, shall not be held accountable for anything that may happen to you during these projects.  If anything bad happens and you are not able to participate anymore, it must be known so a replacement can be found.

Best of luck to those who want to sign up.

And have a nice day. :^.^:

(Note: If a mod feels it nessacary to move this, please do so, as it is questionable if it belongs here or in the LBT TV Series area.)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
You should scrap the idea of temporary links. Also, it isn't very wise to say these things on a website which could be visited by anyone (like someone from Universal.) As it is, the rest of the idea is quite good.

P.S. It's still illegal whether you get caught or not.

P.S.S I did some research; while the company might not like it, it is legal to tape a show and share it with a certain number of people. There was a case on this known as the Betamax case which ruled that recording shows from a tv is legal, and that one could share them to a certain extent. It would still be a legally risky thing (barly legal) to post whole episodes on an individual website, but as long as the episodes don't interfere with the ability of the copyright holder to make money from the copyright, it's technically allowed.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, good point!

Okay, scratch the internet videos idea.

*edits first post.*

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess I understand the prospect of your idea, poke.  It's not a bad idea, but I see that noname took care of the copyright part.  

However, you can get away with video files if the quality is bad...they won't come after bad quality stuff.  My stuff on youtube is still there and they're clips from cult films. The songs you can get away with if they're low quality (ala 32kbps mp3 files).  Everything else should be fine if you want to make a database of sorts for this stuff.

I don't mind offering insight into working with pictures or audio, but since at the moment, I've no intention of watching the LBT series, I guess I'll just be a consultant.  I've safely done this stuff for three years with my Watership Down site, http://www.therabbitbungalow.com/watershipdown/

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's not that I woulden't like to see the show or have downloads available, but it isn't worth the risk of getting caught, and it's still outside of the law (in America and most other countries.) The Land Before Time is a valuable piece of intellectual property, and Universal has a history of catching people trying to use their copyrighted material. Several months ago, they shut down a fan-game website which was making a game based on Sierra's "Kings Quest" series (note that Universal owns Sierra, or VU games as it is more appropriately called.) Anyway, enough fans complained, and the game got a fan liscence, but only if the name was changed from "King's Quest IX" to "The Silver Lining." It took Universal over three years to order the site shut down, and although it reopened, the chances that someone can get away with a similar act using Universal's actual material are quite low, especially if the site becomes popular. In either case, even a low quality download is still a risk.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm still wondering if the land before TV series will be shown in other countries (non-English speaking countries that is) at all. If it won't be, and if the series won't be issued as a DvD (I would be surprised if such a DvD was to be issued in the foreseeable future) there is no way fans from countries to ever even see the series at all  :(
Even if there was a German translation however I must say that I would be more eager to see the English original. It is not a matter of money for the fans, as I suppose we can take it for granted that any LBT fan from this community who happens not to be a resident to an English speaking country would be willing to pay reasonable sums of money to be able to watch the TV series. Alas it still remains to be seen whether or not the chance to deliver their money will be provided for the fans who are no residents to English speaking countries.
For that reason I'm very supportive of such a series project, being very much on the receiving end of the benevolence of course. Naturally I am willing to contribute my part of the tasks pokeplayer listed for designation, provided I have the source material required to make any contributions of my own.
While there may be a certain "tolerance" on hideously poor video quality materials we shouldn't fool ourselves about legality. Puting any video file of a whole sequel up in the internet would be illegal no matter how poor the quality may be.
Is LBT to make criminals out of every LBT fan who doesn't live in a country where English is the officialesse?  :unsure:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's right: we don't want to become "The Pirate Bay." Still, I believe it's legal to post transcripts of each episode online, even though putting down all the dialogue as the episode goes on would be difficult. Still, if the episode is taped (or recorded) and then followed from scene to scene, it would be possible to write down the dialogue of the entire episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, it's legal to create a spoiler-full episode guide, based on the fact that you're not actually watching what you read.

I mean, you should check out Serebii.net and their guides to the Pokemon Anime.  They contain HUGE spoilers within each episode.  They even take the time to put in a nice little "Spoiler" warning for those who want to remain surprised.

It is also okay to put in pictures for the most recent eps.  The reason for this is because the pictures don't quite spoil everything.  I mean, you can't really tell 100% what's going on just by a picture, right?  Right!  Plus, it's not a video anyways.  Anyone can guess what is being said and in the process change the plot of the ep completely when they only have pics to rely on.

So maybe I should put that in in place of internet videos.

Yeah, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. :yes What do you guys think? :^.^:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good idea. I suppose a script and/or guide plus pictures, song lyrics, and character information are all perfectly good, legal, and useful things to put on a website.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm certainly up for adding the LBT series' song lyrics to my existing database! B)

Once the DVDs come out for the series, I can easily rip the songs out but until then I need to hope that the shows air at a time when I can catch them (I don't have a working video recorder).  

I think I can record the sound from the show but I need to get a really long audio cable to plug from my TV into my computer.  I should be able to manage this though.  I probably even have a long enough cable in a box somewhere. :lol

Put me down for Song uploads and song lyrics. :yes

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Dec 19 2006 on  07:48 PM
I'm certainly up for adding the LBT series' song lyrics to my existing database! B)

Once the DVDs come out for the series, I can easily rip the songs out but until then I need to hope that the shows air at a time when I can catch them (I don't have a working video recorder). 

I think I can record the sound from the show but I need to get a really long audio cable to plug from my TV into my computer.  I should be able to manage this though.  I probably even have a long enough cable in a box somewhere. :lol

Put me down for Song uploads and song lyrics. :yes
As long as you have the nessacary equipment and access to it, I'm more than happy to add you. :)

*edits first post.*

As you can all see, I've added on the job of episode pics as well. :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As long as you have the nessacary equipment and access to it, I'm more than happy to add you.
Yep! B)  I have a sound card on my computer that will let me connect to a TV using the standard red and white RCA audio cables and record any data flowing through them.  I'll just wire my TV up to these connections and record the songs directly, that way.  No problem.  The hardest part will be finding out if/when the shows air in my location.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As I have learned from my experiences with Cartoon Network, the newest shows air on Fridays and then there is an Encore of them on the following Monday.

What times, I cannot give you. :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As I have learned from my experiences with Cartoon Network, the newest shows air on Fridays and then there is an Encore of them on the following Monday.
that's where my life gets interesting: I don't get the Cartoon Network here in Canada.  We get a network called Teletoon, which probably has a different schedule.  I'm hoping that Teletoon at leasts gets the LBT series... :(
If Teletoon doesn't get it, hopefully the Family Channel or something similar will pick it up.  I will let you know when the time comes, whether I have access to the TV show or not.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While we are planning about this, I realize that we don't even know whether or not there will be songs in the series at all.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 20 2006 on  01:52 AM
While we are planning about this, I realize that we don't even know whether or not there will be songs in the series at all.
True.  In the case that there aren't any songs, I shall do what I can to rip any unique music from the shows and go from there.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, there will be an opening song.  That is indeed a garentee. <sp?>

With LBT, I am expecting songs in most of the episodes.  There have been a total of 38 known songs thus far for LBT. (Do the math if you think I'm wrong.  Note that I'm counting the songs during the credits.) Coming up more songs won't be easy, but I'm sure the creators are up to the challenge.

Sadly, in general, songs in every episode has killed a series before.  One I recall from my childhood was Sonic Underground.  Sure, it was a good show and all, but the songs in the middle of each ep killed it because they weren't too good. -_- The series had sadly gotten cancelled right at a cliffhanger.

This is the main challenge.  If the creators of LBT don't come up with good enough songs, then the show may get cancelled before it reaches it's 26 episode goal.  Mainly because the one's running the schedules just won't take anymore.

So with the songs, if they don't do a good job, their done for, but I expect nothing but the best from them.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Oh wait, you wanted to put the FULL episodes online? :p  I thought you meant pieces of the episode.

*runs off and hides*

:slap

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Action9000, looks like you're the lucky one!  Apparently they are showing it on YTV first, which I heard is a Canadian only channel.

You missed the first ep, which aired today at 12 PM eastern, but the next one will be on the 12th.

Well, here's hoping you get to work on those songs. :)

Enjoy yourself there, Action9000. :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll be on it with everything I've got.  I'll be able to record the full episodes as they come in, though I did miss the first one.  It caught me by surprise  :blink:  :blink:

I won't be able to watch them in person (1 pm my time, on a friday means I'll be in school during every new episode) but I'll be getting a TV card for my computer that lets me record shows. B)