The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

St. Patrick's Day becoming a National Holiday?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I was watching ESPN CL and a commerical came up announcing that the beer company, Guinness (Note: You MUST verify your age.) has made a petition to get St. Patrick's Day to become a National Holiday.

What do you guys think of this?

As for me, I'm not sure what to think.  I've never really seen it as anything big.  Only thing I do on that day is basically wear green to avoid getting pinched. :rolleyes: I avoid drinking alchol like the plague, so I won't be into ANY contests going on.

I really don't know what to say about it all, but if it happens, it happens.

So, what do you guys think about this announcement? :)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Mar 8 2008 on  02:56 PM
I've never really seen it as anything big.  Only thing I do on that day is basically wear green to avoid getting pinched. :rolleyes: I avoid drinking alchol like the plague, so I won't be into ANY contests going on.
You know, I can't even call to mind when St. Patrick's Day is... I certainly treat it as nothing but normal day...if I realise it's St. Patrick's Day at all...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Whatever.  So long as it's a day off for me, I'm happy no matter what it's about. :^.^:

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I suppose...but it's a day to also celebrate irish people...what about french people such as myself or other ethnics?
Either way, whatever.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Fine.  If they want to add a holiday to celebrate the French, then go on ahead!  The more holidays the better! :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't see why it should be a national holiday.  And though most would think it silly, to be totally fair there should then be a national holiday for each and every nationality of person in the world, chines, Japanese, Australian, French, German, ect.  That is the only way it would be totally fair.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It would be kind of fun if there was a German national holiday conducted in the US while our national holiday is hardly conducted over here ;)
The 3rd of October is a holiday over here celebrated as the day of the German reunification; but as a matter of fact there is hardly a celebration other than the fact that it is a free day. There have even been suggestions to "relocate" the holiday and make it the first Sunday in October in order to save employers in Germany a working day <_<
There is nothing over here comparable to Independence day, Bastille Day, or Guy Fawkes Night.
One significant date in German history, the 9th of November, is proper for a day of memorial, but not for celebration as it is not just the date of the proclamation of Germany as a republic in 1918 and the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, but also the date of the horrible pogrom against Jews which became euphemised as the "Kristallnacht". :(

I suppose...but it's a day to also celebrate irish people...what about french people such as myself or other ethnics?
Either way, whatever.
Are you born in France, or are your parents? Do you speak French?
It would be awesome to meet fans of "Le Petit Dinosaure et la VallÈe des merveilles". :yes
There are LBT fans from so many countries, but since 2000 I don't think I ever met an LBT fan from France.

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
it alrealy is a national hoilday in england if your cathlic, but people just use it as an ecuse to get drunk....god bless the irish  :^.^:  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
St. Paddy's day isn't so much a holiday but it is celebrated as he happens to be the patron saint of Ireland and N/Ireland. It's not so much a national celebration as each of the individual countries of the UK have a patron saint (St. George of England is next on 23rd April) and as with the majority of celebrations, the first thing that jumps to mind (particularly for adults) is to slap out the wallet and down a pint.....or 12! If Paddy's day was to become a national holiday, then why not the other 3 patron saints? It's only fair right? Any excuse to bunk off and lounge about eh?  :^.^:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The problem for me is that I have to work on National Holidays.  Save for Christmas, my days are spent working.  However, this means extra money for me if it comes true, so more power to it becoming a possibility. :) (I seriously need to get a REAL job.) -_-

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the petition currently at 248,611 signatures, and the company needing 1,000,000 by midnight (Eastern time) to make it official, it seems highly unlikely that it won't happen.

Sorry guys!  Not happening this year. :(