The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Shooting Sports

Serris · 13 · 3550

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Does anyone where practice any type of sharpshooting? Be it firearms, slings, bow and arrow, atlatl, blowgun or any other ranged weapon.

Right now, I have gotten into slinging. My current equipment is a very crude cloth sling I made from some scrap cloth I found lying around and round stones for ammo.

Tomorrow, I may post some pictures of my sling as soon as I am done shopping for upgraded ammo (steel shot - either in the form of slingshot ammo or ball bearings).

So far, I'm not very good but I am slowly improving.

---------------

I have also practiced with a blowgun (PVC pipe - crude but effective). I used NERF darts for ammo but I can easily fire live darts (pushpins stuck through a paper towel).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've tried blowguns, airsoft, and throwing daggers, but I'm not very good at it.  I'm an average paintball player, but it's more of a hobby.  I always wanted to try archery though.

I will not discuss anything concerning firearms, since I know there are people that get very touchy around that particular subject...

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Speaking of firearms, I want to get into that too but there are no ranges that allow rifles (my grandfather used to be an avid hunter).

I've also dabbled in archery (mainly in summer camp) and was okay at it.

The hardest part about slinging is accuracy.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I did shoot with cal. 22 rifle for a year, but in the end, I didn't have the interest nor the time for it. Now I've just gotten into the Danish Homeguard, which gives you rifles and ammunition to shoot with, for free... which is a shiny thing :p

Never tried throwing with a sling before, so I can't say how well the accuracy is on such a thing. I did try spear and bow, which reminds me of a rather fun time. A girl, just after my turn, stepped up to the firing line, and knocked the arrow onto the string, and pulled it back. She shot over... which wasn't the interesting part... she'd pulled so much back, that when she released, the arrow sat itself in the wooden wall, 5 meters behind the target, around 2-3m high up on the wall. My friend and I began to laugh at it... ofcause I had to retrieve it :p

But if there is any kind of shooting ranges or practise ranges in your area, Serris, then go ahead. Shooting demands not just that you have the patience, but that you're also in control of every move your body makes. That and it is a relaxing hobby, AND it's fun :p

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The only time I tried the bow and arrow, it was in Austria (I forgot the town, but it was before we reached Vienna the next day).  I couldn't even pull it half-way before I tried for the target, but somehow I got the second arrow in the target (we were given two arrows each).  I've been researching more into the thing and may take into it seriously one day.

Im little green glyder :J

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I am engaged in archery, honestly shoot with firearms, but nevertheless that guns do not need to measure angles and have a longer range than my bow (approximately 300 meters), and so twice as much to do with the bow cell.
 :DD

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
I shot with bow and arrow and it turned out that i was pretty good in it.
But i'm also interested in shooting with firearms, as i want to join the local shooting range. (which is BTW next to the homing pigeon club, Seriously! :lol: )

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
"okay, now squeeze the trigger slowly.... that's it, that's it"

BAM

"Darn, there goes another pigeon" :p

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've got everything needed for my slinging:

Ammunition (50 1/2 inch steel nuts and a bunch of polished river rocks)
Backstop (old heavy comforter)
Target (Trash can, cardboard boxes and pieces of wood)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've fired a bow and arrow and a BB gun but I don't own either and it's been a while since i've fired either.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just spent an hour or so trying my new setup.

What I learned,

1/2 inch hex nuts make TERRIBLE sling ammunition. They are fast and they fly far but their accuracy is horrible.

The backstop I used is too small and too unstable.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have engaged in archery and target practicing with a BB gun.  I have also used my BB gun in warding invasive rodents off my property, and I once used it to stop a porcupine from using its tail on my dogs when they sniffed it out of curiosity :p.  I'm alright at archery, but I do a lot better at playing darts :lol.  I'm also pretty good with a slingshot, and I like paintball but never make the time to play.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just came back from the range with some friends from the science fiction club.

Apparently, I'm not that bad with a .22 pistol. My main fault is that I aim high.

In a couple of weeks, I'm going skeet shooting with them.