The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Server Hit By Lightning

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It figures.  Just yesterday I disconnected the battery backup from the LBT Server in order to plug it into mom's new computer.  Then just today a lightning storm hits the LBT Server and makes it wig out.  I'm not sure what's wrong with it.  PSU?  Motherboard?  It's working just fine but it's making some BAD noises now.  I was thinking of replacing it with a dual core system anyways, but I was going to do that in a month not now! :bang Oh well.  I've been coding some upgrades anyways so I guess I'll do 'em all at once.  But unfortunately the server has to go offline for a bit so I can implement and install the new system.  So yeah regrettably the TheLandBeforeTime.org will be offline for awhile as well as the server itself.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  This wasn't supposed to happen.............

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dang!  That really sucks!  Hope you get it fixed soon.  I'd hate for the server to be down for good.  You've got a lot of customers on there you don't want to disappoint, you know. :)

*sighs* And I was just about to update my area on there.  Oh well, might as well do something else for the time being.

I think you should consider yourself lucky.  I've heard something like that can KILL a computer.  I'd hate to reupload all those files I put up on there.

Seriously, I hope you fix it soon.

See ya later! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well it's NOT back online, but I've got a supplemental system working on my download computer.  TheLandBeforeTime.org and all other hosted websites are back online and against my better judgment I've re-enabled the server file browser GUI (the system that allows you to interact directly with the server itself (i.e. lbtserver.2myip.net)).  I can have the websites work while the server website does not, so don't abuse this!  I'll be really pissed if someone uploads a virus infected file since it's on one of my real computers now.  I'll try to get the system up and running on the new dual core computer soon.  Until then it'll run on my download computer. :p

EDIT:
Oh and I've also installed the new member tools system so members now have new features.  I've also hidden the member tools to all except members so regular browsers won't be able to tell the difference.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've run into a few problems with the new computer system.  It'll take at least 18 hours to get the server transferred to the dual core computer.  Until then this supplemental system will have to do.  Everything still works but.....it's on a P4 with only a gig of ram right now.  Not exactly what I'd call an ultimate multitasking machine. <_<  :rolleyes:

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
I've had repeated lightning storms everyday ever since June 14th. I've had to turn my computer and T.V. off each time cause the storms were always a lot more severe then predicted. landbeforetimelover hopefully everything goes well for you bud.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Dang! That really sucks! Hope you get it fixed soon. I'd hate for the server to be down for good. You've got a lot of customers on there you don't want to disappoint, you know. smile.gif

EXCUSE ME!!!!  <_< Austin does this for free for you guys at his own expense.  Never mind making him feel like crap.  This isn't cheap.  Austin doesn't have to do this for us, but cares enough about the LBT community to put the time and money into running a server.  Unless you and the other "customers" are paying him to keep it online, shut up!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thankless statements like that make me downright angry.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
The Petrie hath been angered

I think I might say it best that you just be careful how you word your sentences around here (or anywhere else) people will take it to heart.

Austin, good luck with the server, man. And keep up the awesome work. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm sure Pokeplayer didn't mean anything by it guys.  Now that I re-read it it does seem to be a bit rude, but I didn't notice it at all at first and I'm sure he didn't realize it when he typed it either.

Okay, I've got the new LBT Server computer working fine.  I'll be ready to start hosting the actual server on the computer in a matter of hours.  The only problem is I'm missing the drivers to my chipset and they're NOT on the official website!  Grrrrrr......I'm getting REALLY sick of HP not having their frickin' drivers on their website!  This computer is 3 years old!  You'd think they'd be able to have all the drivers up by that time. :anger *sign*.  Driver Genius is gonna have to save my butt again. <_<

gisti87

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well, great companies don't want to put all the drivers to their site, thinking that everyone has the latest hardware. Once I repaired an older notebook, and reinstalled windows xp. It had some kinda mobile video card, and I didn't find any driver for windows xp at all! I had to install vista, and let the download center to install the driver automatically.

Anyway, let's hope your server will be more lucky from now on and won't get caught by a lightning.

A good, easy and cheap way to protect your computer from overvoltage is to apply a neon bulb in parallel to your mains. This will regulate any voltage that is above 115/230V. If a thunder strikes, this bulb will explode, shorting your mains cables and the circuit breaker will open. This won't protect your computer from high frequency noises, but power supplies have this kind of filters.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm fine and calm now, but really, Austin you do a lot for us, and I think a lot just don't realize how hard it all is.  I never hestitate to thank you for all you do for us and you deserve a lot of credit for our current design scheme. :)  I just hope everyone is as grateful as I am.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm fine and calm now, but really, Austin you do a lot for us, and I think a lot just don't realize how hard it all is. I never hestitate to thank you for all you do for us and you deserve a lot of credit for our current design scheme. smile.gif I just hope everyone is as grateful as I am.

Unfortunately people really don't know how much work is put into the stuff I do unless they have equal skills or have tried to do it before.  It's unrealistic to expect due gratitude from "normal" people.  I learned that a long time ago.  Not even my own mother understands or realizes how hard it is to do the things that I do.  It sucks, but I've learned to live with it.  Because of this, I'm grateful for any recognition I get, no matter how small.

But anyways, The LBT Server is 100% completely done.  I like it so much better than my old system.  But I don't think I'll put it online until I can get a new monitor.  I can't live with the tiny 15" widescreen I currently have for the LBT Server.  You can't even code on it. <_< Unfortunately I can't spend the money for a new monitor right now so I'm going to sell one of my old systems in order to get the money for a new 22".  After the gift I got mom I'm not spending another cent of money earned from computer repair.  I wish crap wasn't so expensive. :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I got my new monitor, but I have to get a new LBT server computer now.  I thought it would work, but the computer itself is just so loud and uses up so much power if I transferred the server over to it I'd have to replace it really soon anyways and I don't want to have more downtime on my record.  I'm going to try to sell the loud computer and get something better.  It only uses DDR memory anyways and I wanted a machine that took DDR2.  

I have other dual core machines that could work, but they don't have the necessary XP drivers and I MUST use Windows XP for the server so I can increase the maximum number of global connections from 10 to at least 1,000.  Vista won't let you do that without a TON of fuss and daily reminders that "vital system files have been replaced by unrecognized versions". :bang I'll try and see if I can get about $300 for the dual core machine and try to get a better one on Craigslist.  God bless that place. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I finally got a new LBT Server computer.  You can take a look at it HERE.

I'm gonna run it for at least 12 hours before putting the server onto it.  It was a total mess when I got it and it smells sorta funny so I'll keep my eye on it for power shorts/problems.  We don't want the server and everyone's files to go up in smoke do we? :p

And I'm working on coding a new system and I'm bringing the preview box back.  I'm also going to try to make a flash uploader again.  Lots of stuff to do, but I've gotta live my own life and get to know members around here a little better.  I'll let y'all know when I've got the server onto this new computer of mine.  Wish me luck. ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The LBT Server is now being hosted on the new computer!  I did lots of power tests and the thing seems stable now.  Now the only thing I have to get used to is the extra noise in my room.  It's quite a loud machine. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No switching out the loud for quiet components?  

I heard that is why some use vegetable oil as a coolant instead of fans.  Though I would never want to try that.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No switching out the loud for quiet components?

I've already got the best most silent fans they make in there.  The main source of the noise is the PSU.  Unfortunately the PSU inside this custom Alienware PC can't be easily or cheaply replaced so my only option is to take apart the PSU itself and replace the fans manually.  I'm not too proud to admit that I've never done that before.  When a PSU is too loud I usually just replace it. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just do what you think is best.   :yes  good luck.