The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

cartoons of many decades.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've been thinkin'... :idea   Do you guys think that Felix the cat is a bigger star than Garfield the cat? Is Betty Boop considered the most influential female character in this decade? Could cartoon violence get anymore violent? Would Popeye be considered violent? I guess it depends on those certain eras . My grandpa once told me that he and his wife cried when they first saw Bambi in theaters many years ago. Nowadays we don't feel that sort of sorrow.

Steven Speilberg said that the Rugrats was like the modern day Peanuts cartoon. I thought that was debatable. I love the Rugrats and that is an interesting comparison. I found it to be a huge compliment. I started watching SATAM and then Sonic X. And you know what...I liked SatAM better.(SATAM is sonic the hedgehog cartoon in 1993) If I compare and contrast Family Guy and The Three Stooges on the "funny factor" I would think The Three Stooges are funnier. This might be debatable among many people nowadays. Then again, how many kids would know who the three stooges are? The Three stooges rely on "slapstick comedy" While Family Guy relies on "stupid funny".

Cartoons have changed dramatically throughout these decades. Cartoon network is the biggest example. Instead of having Flinstones, Courage the dog, or Woody Woodpecker we get some live action movies starring kids. In MY opinion I think cartoons of the nineties is the best era of cartoons. You had Hey Arnold, Doug, Casper, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Histeria!,  The mouse and The Monster, Life with Louie, Tom & Jerry, and sooo many others. Remember UPN kids, Fox network, and Nickelodeon? Good times.

Here is  two more big questions for y'all; For cartoons or cartoon characters to be called "icons" or "Legends" does it depend on where and when we were born, how we grew up, and what influence we felt from certain characters?
Do you think Dink the little Dinosaur is more tolerable than LBT tv series? :goodluck

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
Agree 100%.  Today's cartoons suck like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.  I wish I got Boomerang in my viewing area. :(  That is where all the good cartoons ended up.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A lot of stuff that was put on the air in the 30s 40s and 50s would never get put on the air now, due to pc considerations
for example, Popeye would be considered too violent and Betty Boop too risque.
 I like Family Guy, but the 3 stooges are among the funniest acts of all time.
 To call a cartoon lengendary, it must retain popularity for at the very minimum ten years.  so Scooby doo, Yogi Bear Tom and Jerry etc, are legends, while say Spongebob or Pokemon are not. As For Dink, I never saw the show but to be more tolerabl than the LBT series wouldn't take much..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: